Changes to 2021 trip itineraries?

leannak

DIS Veteran
I have heard about ABD gradually taking special experiences out of the trips. Has any of that been seen yet with the new 2021 releases?

Do they ever change things for the better?

One huge change I have noticed is the removal of Uluru from the Australia itinerary. They have instead added 3 days in Melbourne. If I was looking for a first time trip to Australia this would be a no go for me as Uluru would be a high on my list of things to see. I would be interested to know why they have chosen to remove it. I did the Australia ABD in 2015 when the tour included Uluru and Tasmania. I did find the new itinerary appealing enough to consider if I was to take a second trip Down Under.

We did the Australia ABD in 2017 and loved it, but admittedly Uluru was the most tiring part of the trip for us. We left Sydney and landed there mid-day, quick box lunch and walk around Uluru, photo op, check into hotel, dinner started 30 min later, late night star-gazing (only I went to that one because the wife and kids were exhausted). Got up at 4am the next day to repack, eat breakfast and head to camel ride at sunrise. Then another walk around Kata-Tjuta to the airport for a afternoon flight. We met the new destination manager last year in the Ecuador-Galapagos trip in March 2019 and he was telling us there would be changes coming (#1 was taking out Byron Bay kayaking trip). He didn't mention this one but it doesn't surprise me given the time/effort it takes to get there.

We did the Australia ABD in 2017 and loved it, but admittedly Uluru was the most tiring part of the trip for us. We left Sydney and landed there mid-day, quick box lunch and walk around Uluru, photo op, check into hotel, dinner started 30 min later, late night star-gazing (only I went to that one because the wife and kids were exhausted). Got up at 4am the next day to repack, eat breakfast and head to camel ride at sunrise. Then another walk around Kata-Tjuta to the airport for a afternoon flight. We met the new destination manager last year in the Ecuador-Galapagos trip in March 2019 and he was telling us there would be changes coming (#1 was taking out Byron Bay kayaking trip). He didn't mention this one but it doesn't surprise me given the time/effort it takes to get there.

Other than the BSM ABD, I can't say I've ever repeated a trip so I don't have first hand experience about them gradually removing experiences. However I would expect them to make changes to the trips in response to comments received which might mean dropping some experiences for a different activity.

As far as Uluru goes in Australia, I have a dim memory of the government there restricting tours. Perhaps that is why its not part of the trip any longer?

Ecuador is quite different! Looks like there’s 3 options for the Galapagos portion—a north, east, and south itinerary. Cool!

I've posted about Peru changes in another thread with the removal of 1 day and activity:

We did the old itinerary and I agree that we enjoyed the lunch at Casa Aliaga in Lima on Day 8, and depart at Day 9.

This year for 2020 it's new and ends in Cusco and departs on Day 8, with the new dinner on Day 7:
Dinner at La Casona de San Jeronimo:

Complete your Adventure with a visit to La Casona de San Jeronimo in Cusco. Explore the hotel’s colonial architecture while you enjoy a Peruvian feast and an Andean parade.

One huge change I have noticed is the removal of Uluru from the Australia itinerary. They have instead added 3 days in Melbourne. If I was looking for a first time trip to Australia this would be a no go for me as Uluru would be a high on my list of things to see. I would be interested to know why they have chosen to remove it. I did the Australia ABD in 2015 when the tour included Uluru and Tasmania. I did find the new itinerary appealing enough to consider if I was to take a second trip Down Under.

Uluru was a highlight. I'd love to try to see it again underneath the stars. It was painfully overcast when we went.

Climbing Uluru is now officially banned as of 2019. The climbing was always discouraged but now officially banned.

https://theconversation.com/why-we-are-banning-tourists-from-climbing-uluru-86755

-Paul
The ABD trip did not climb Uluru. We went by camelback to watch the sunrise over it. We hiked around it. We explored its sister, and listened to tales of its geological and cultural history. Watching the colors appear, swirl, and change at sunrise by camelback was an awe inspiring experience. Climb it? Never! That's as disrespectful as having a picnic lunch in St. Peter's basilica in Rome.

Uluru was a highlight. I'd love to try to see it again underneath the stars. It was painfully overcast when we went.
It was overcast on my trip as well. Big disappointment as I had been really looking forward the stargazing. It was kind of neat watching the lightning strikes from a distant storm though.

I personally don't understand ABD's itinerary decisions sometimes. Why bother going all the way to Australia for cities? It's the natural stuff that's the draw there!

And cutting out Ronda and Marbella in Spain, while adding almost nothing in return? Ugh...they cut out a whole day!!

I personally don't understand ABD's itinerary decisions sometimes. Why bother going all the way to Australia for cities? It's the natural stuff that's the draw there!

And cutting out Ronda and Marbella in Spain, while adding almost nothing in return? Ugh...they cut out a whole day!!
I was thinking they are cutting days/activities out to save costs and keep the prices similar without increasing the trip total cost?

I was thinking they are cutting days/activities out to save costs and keep the prices similar without increasing the trip total cost?
Yep, this. That has always been my take. The most egregious ones that I remember were the Alaska cruise add-on years ago when they literally got rid of the most expensive part and replaced it with nothing and Scotland where they pretty much massacred the entire itinerary.

Yep, this. That has always been my take. The most egregious ones that I remember were the Alaska cruise add-on years ago when they literally got rid of the most expensive part and replaced it with nothing and Scotland where they pretty much massacred the entire itinerary.

I’ve noticed that a lot of you guys that have done Abd several times in the past have mentioned Scotland was one of the best but only when it was in its early stages. My thinking with the new cuts was that it was for economic reasons? But I guess it was more based on comments of other travelers.

totally agree about uluru...wouldn’t want to go all the way there without seeing it

I’ve noticed that a lot of you guys that have done Abd several times in the past have mentioned Scotland was one of the best but only when it was in its early stages. My thinking with the new cuts was that it was for economic reasons? But I guess it was more based on comments of other travelers.
Nope. It's standard operating procedures for ABD. They cut stuff and give you more OYO time. Or less days.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter