Changing a DVC reservation to another resort at 7 months

Stinkomann20x6

Mouseketeer
Hey so I say this fully knowing it’s getting way ahead of myself, as the 200 point Polynesian dvcr offer we made just went to ROFR, but I’m hoping at $142 a point it won’t get taken.

But going on assumption it doesn’t get taken. I’ll have 200 points starting April UY. We are thinking of making a bigger trip early September with me, the Mrs, my parents, and two siblings, so 6 total.

At that size if it closed with around 8 months before our trip, to be safe we would try and book two studios that would run us 300 points for 9 nights, so I’d have to borrow.

But I’d fully have the intent of booking a 2 bedroom at somewhere like BRV or CCV at 7 months which would require another 43 points.

Since I’ve never booked a DVC on my own, would I just switch the reservation over to the 2 bedroom if available, or would I have to cancel those two PVB studios, and risk losing out on those if they get taken while I try the 2 bedroom. Sorry if a stupid noob question lol. Thanks!

With the new booking engine you can make changes online. If you don’t get the new room you won’t lose your old one.

However booking a room using points from two reservations is not possible you would have to cancel one reservation and then change the other.

So in your case you would risk loosing one reservation as you need to free up the points.

I don’t know the best cause of action but one way to go about it could be to change 1 reservation (still keeping the other) and booking as many nights as you can with points from that reservation right at the 7 months mark at 08.00am. When you get the first 2-3 nights you have your foot “inside the door” and you could then cancel the other reservation to free up points. Once that is done you can change the new 2br reservation to add the remaining days.

This is ofc assuming that there is availability for your dates and no one else snatches up your dates. This is not risk free, but it’s an option.

With the new booking engine you can make changes online. If you don’t get the new room you won’t lose your old one.

However booking a room using points from two reservations is not possible you would have to cancel one reservation and then change the other.

So in your case you would risk loosing one reservation as you need to free up the points.

I don’t know the best cause of action but one way to go about it could be to change 1 reservation (still keeping the other) and booking as many nights as you can with points from that reservation right at the 7 months mark at 08.00am. When you get the first 2-3 nights you have your foot “inside the door” and you could then cancel the other reservation to free up points. Once that is done you can change the new 2br reservation to add the remaining days.

This is ofc assuming that there is availability for your dates and no one else snatches up your dates. This is not risk free, but it’s an option.
Thank you. I hadn’t thought of that option! I’m hoping since it will be early September that there may be some options with that. I guess worst case scenario SSR will probably have options lol.

Sorry one further stupid question. With the 7 months mark at 8:00 AM. Is that one I wait until all 7th month from the last day of my desired stay? Or is that when I start looking into walking that I’ve been reading about, but at the beginning of my stay. Thanks!

You could also just ask for adjoining rooms at poly. You will most likely get it as only very few like 2-4 rooms aren’t adjoining.

Sorry one further stupid question. With the 7 months mark at 8:00 AM. Is that one I wait until all 7th month from the last day of my desired stay? Or is that when I start looking into walking that I’ve been reading about, but at the beginning of my stay. Thanks!
It’s 7 months from checkin day.

You won’t be walking as all required tasks could be done in 10min or so.

You could also just ask for adjoining rooms at poly. You will most likely get it as only very few like 2-4 rooms aren’t adjoining.
Yeah I told my mother that 2 bedroom availability wouldn’t be guaranteed, but I think she liked the idea of a full kitchen, laundry, etc. but she would be happy with Two Polynesian rooms also.

It’s 7 months from checkin day.

You won’t be walking as all required tasks could be done in 10min or so.
Ok sorry I think I follow. But at 7 month mark I can book the beginning of my stay and days after that, even though those other days would be more than 7 months out?

Because you're extending an existing reservation you can adjust your booking even though the nights you're adding will now be like 7 months and 3 days away.

In the morning at the beginning of the seven month window, at 8 AM Eastern time, be signed on and ready to go.

Choose one of your 11 month reservations and choose the modify button. Go through it and try to book a two bedroom unit, getting the first two or three days, or however many days you can afford. These two or three days will extend two or three days into the seventh month window and will, in essence, block out a little slot for you. Finish that modified reservation. Then go to the second reservation and cancel it. This frees up your points. Then go back to the first reservation which is now a two bedroom unit at the location of your choice, at 7 months, and again choose the modify button. Modify it by extending the number of days on the tail end of the reservation. You can extend them up to seven days into the seven month window. Because you have already set up the reservation blocking out two or three days, it should be safe for you to add the other days on the tail end.

If you want the reservation for longer than seven days, then do everything just as I said above, but a day or two later, just go add the extra days. You can book up to one month at a time, as long as it only extends seven days into the seventh month booking window.

If I were you, I would also strongly consider walking the reservation. I might go and start doing this process at least several days before the reservation you want. Perhaps even a week or so in advance. Set up your 5, 6, 7, 9 days or whatever, exactly the way you want. Then every two or three days, I would use the modify button to shift the reservation, walking it into the dates that you want. Again, because you have blocked out a slot, the only people who could jump past you and take the days ahead of you, is an owner who can book in the 7 to 11 month window. And since they have now reached the seven month window without doing that, it is unlikely that an owner who has that as a home resort would be interested in jumping in on the other side of your slot. So walking should work for you.

Since September is in the Food and Wine festival time, it MIGHT be busy. If you really really want this, you might want to start the reservation at the 7 month window, in late August. Demand falls off, usually, in the last week or two of August. You could jump in there, establishing your 7 or 9 day reservation slot, and then walk it every two or three days until you get where you want to be.

I have already done this myself, walking two Standard view reservations at BLT, Into the time slot that I wanted in mid October. I started more than a week out, because BLT Standard view rooms go very fast at the 11 month window, for that festival timeframe. I got one of my rooms on the second morning that I tried, and the second room on the fourth morning that I tried. Had I not walked both reservations, I might not have been able to get the days that I wanted.

Because you're extending an existing reservation you can adjust your booking even though the nights you're adding will now be like 7 months and 3 days away.
Interesting I figured it would be a new reservation. I guess I just need to do more research into what it means and how to book at 7 months lol. Thanks

Will your reservation include labor day weekend? That might make a tiny bit of difference although I'm guessing not but here's what I would personally do.

First, early September is not that busy. That booking time is nothing like a month or two later. I probably wouldn't even worry about doing a booking at PVB if I honestly were ok with any 2BR availability because there will be some at some resort. Definitely at SSR.

Now I think there's a possibility that CCV won't be available but even if not BRV probably will be. However, keeping in mind that it too might not be (although unlikely IMO) and you could end up elsewhere that includes SSR or a couple other locations that you won't be needing over 300 points which is why I wouldn't get into booking PVB and the borrowing until absolutely necessary - when booking the 2BR villa that you'd like to stay in. So I'd personally wait to book until 7 months.

Now - if you just can't make yourself comfortable waiting then book the PVB. At 7 months modify online the 1 reservation to the location of your choice for as many nights as you can get that is equal or less than the points on that room reservation. Then go cancel the second room at PVB. Then go back into the new 2BR reservation and modify it to add all the nights you want. It will then be able to use the points from the second room and borrow any additional points required.

In the morning at the beginning of the seven month window, at 8 AM Eastern time, be signed on and ready to go.

Choose one of your 11 month reservations and choose the modify button. Go through it and try to book a two bedroom unit, getting the first two or three days, or however many days you can afford. These two or three days will extend two or three days into the seventh month window and will, in essence, block out a little slot for you. Finish that modified reservation. Then go to the second reservation and cancel it. This frees up your points. Then go back to the first reservation which is now a two bedroom unit at the location of your choice, at 7 months, and again choose the modify button. Modify it by extending the number of days on the tail end of the reservation. You can extend them up to seven days into the seven month window. Because you have already set up the reservation blocking out two or three days, it should be safe for you to add the other days on the tail end.

If you want the reservation for longer than seven days, then do everything just as I said above, but a day or two later, just go add the extra days. You can book up to one month at a time, as long as it only extends seven days into the seventh month booking window.

If I were you, I would also strongly consider walking the reservation. I might go and start doing this process at least several days before the reservation you want. Perhaps even a week or so in advance. Set up your 5, 6, 7, 9 days or whatever, exactly the way you want. Then every two or three days, I would use the modify button to shift the reservation, walking it into the dates that you want. Again, because you have blocked out a slot, the only people who could jump past you and take the days ahead of you, is an owner who can book in the 7 to 11 month window. And since they have now reached the seven month window without doing that, it is unlikely that an owner who has that as a home resort would be interested in jumping in on the other side of your slot. So walking should work for you.

Since September is in the Food and Wine festival time, it MIGHT be busy. If you really really want this, you might want to start the reservation at the 7 month window, in late August. Demand falls off, usually, in the last week or two of August. You could jump in there, establishing your 7 or 9 day reservation slot, and then walk it every two or three days until you get where you want to be.

I have already done this myself, walking two Standard view reservations at BLT, Into the time slot that I wanted in mid October. I started more than a week out, because BLT Standard view rooms go very fast at the 11 month window, for that festival timeframe. I got one of my rooms on the second morning that I tried, and the second room on the fourth morning that I tried. Had I not walked both reservations, I might not have been able to get the days that I wanted.

This is absolutely terrifying the first time around. Thanks for the info on the process it will be something I look back on for sure!

Will your reservation include labor day weekend? That might make a tiny bit of difference although I'm guessing not but here's what I would personally do.

First, early September is not that busy. That booking time is nothing like a month or two later. I probably wouldn't even worry about doing a booking at PVB if I honestly were ok with any 2BR availability because there will be some at some resort. Definitely at SSR.

Now I think there's a possibility that CCV won't be available but even if not BRV probably will be. However, keeping in mind that it too might not be (although unlikely IMO) and you could end up elsewhere that includes SSR or a couple other locations that you won't be needing over 300 points which is why I wouldn't get into booking PVB and the borrowing until absolutely necessary - when booking the 2BR villa that you'd like to stay in. So I'd personally wait to book until 7 months.

Now - if you just can't make yourself comfortable waiting then book the PVB. At 7 months modify online the 1 reservation to the location of your choice for as many nights as you can get that is equal or less than the points on that room reservation. Then go cancel the second room at PVB. Then go back into the new 2BR reservation and modify it to add all the nights you want. It will then be able to use the points from the second room and borrow any additional points required.
Thank you. I think I definitely fall into the not being comfortable without a reservation before hand since we have others who we have invited. And the Mrs is a big time planner lol. I totally get what you’re meaning cause then it’s wasted point borrowing if we end up at SSR (last resort) We’re somewhat flexible on early September so it doesn’t HAVE to be one 9 day period only. Just preferable to fall in the first couple weeks of September. And we are totally fine if it’s BRV as opposed to CCV. And just from what I’m seeing in resort walkthroughs it might be preferable thematically, seems to have more character.

So sorry I think I might just be overthinking it. But with 7 month window, do i have to wait for it to be 7 months from the last day of th stay without walking. Or can I bookm7 months from th beginning of the stay, and i can go a certain amount of days into that time frame even if those other days are slightly less than 7 months? And if so, do you know how many days I can book in that 2nd guess (I.e. only a week, and I would have to add a couple days a couple days later when the 7th month from those days comes up) sorry for being a noob, and I swear I will pay all this help forward when I know what the heck I’m doing lol.

Thank you. I think I definitely fall into the not being comfortable without a reservation before hand since we have others who we have invited. And the Mrs is a big time planner lol. I totally get what you’re meaning cause then it’s wasted point borrowing if we end up at SSR (last resort) We’re somewhat flexible on early September so it doesn’t HAVE to be one 9 day period only. Just preferable to fall in the first couple weeks of September. And we are totally fine if it’s BRV as opposed to CCV. And just from what I’m seeing in resort walkthroughs it might be preferable thematically, seems to have more character.

So sorry I think I might just be overthinking it. But with 7 month window, do i have to wait for it to be 7 months from the last day of th stay without walking. Or can I bookm7 months from th beginning of the stay, and i can go a certain amount of days into that time frame even if those other days are slightly less than 7 months? And if so, do you know how many days I can book in that 2nd guess (I.e. only a week, and I would have to add a couple days a couple days later when the 7th month from those days comes up) sorry for being a noob, and I swear I will pay all this help forward when I know what the heck I’m doing lol.

7 months from your check in day you can book up to 7 nights at a non-home resort. So if you are planning on checking in Sept 6th then on Feb 6th you'd do the first 7 nights. That will mean you'll be without the last 2 nights at PVB although you could go ahead and rebook those nights since they would be in your home resort priority and you'd have your backup room. It's an over complication I don't believe you'd need at all but an option. Then you can modify the new reservation 2 days later to include the other 2 nights you need but you'll need to cancel PVB nights to free up those points. Or you could modify it the next day after you book the original 7 nights to make it 8 nights and then the next day to the 9th night.

You'll be fine for those dates. Having flexibility like that makes it even easier.

Last edited:
If time period is early September (or even first two weeks), you are likely to find the following 2BRs open at 7 months out: BRV dedicated 2BR, BWV pool/garden view, BLT lake view, VGF dedicated 2BRs, AKV Kidani savanna view and dedicated 2BR standard view, OKW and SSR. Also chance for CCV dedicated 2BR, BLT theme park view, and AKV Jambo Savanna view, and an outside chance for a BCV dedicated 2BR. That time of year, including Labor Day weekend, is a moderate DVC demand time.

The Caveat is Moonlight Magic. There are none for that period yet, but if DVC announces a Moonlight Magic night for MK (and possibly another park) for a night during that time before 7 months out, there is high probability that night (and no other night around it) will fill for many of the resorts, due mainly to reservations made by those members who live close enough to do one night at WDW.

Last edited:
Plus you can check a few days before you book to see what is still available at the resort you are interested in. So if BCV is totally booked for two bedroom villas, you don't need to waste time there.

7 months from your check in day you can book up to 7 nights at a non-home resort. So if you are planning on checking in Sept 6th then on Feb 6th you'd do the first 7 nights. That will mean you'll be without the last 2 nights at PVB although you could go ahead and rebook those nights since they would be in your home resort priority and you'd have your backup room. It's an over complication I don't believe you'd need at all but an option. Then you can modify the new reservation 2 days later to include the other 2 nights you need but you'll need to cancel PVB nights to free up those points. Or you could modify it the next day after you book the original 7 nights to make it 8 nights and then the next day to the 9th night.

You'll be fine for those dates. Having flexibility like that makes it even easier.
Perfect thanks so much for the help on this. It definitely is taking a bunch of worry out of it for me!

If time period is early September (or even first two weeks), you are likely to find the following 2BRs open at 7 months out: BRV dedicated 2BR, BWV pool/garden view, BLT lake view, VGF dedicated 2BRs, AKV Kidani savanna view and dedicated 2BR standard view, OKW and SSR. Also chance for CCV dedicated 2BR, BLT theme park view, and AKV Jambo Savanna view, and an outside chance for a BCV dedicated 2BR. That time of year, including Labor Day weekend, is a moderate DVC demand time.

The Caveat is Moonlight Magic. There are none for that period yet, but if DVC announces a Moonlight Magic night for MK (and possibly another park) for a night during that time before 7 months out, there is high probability that night (and no other night around it) will fill for many of the resorts, due mainly to reservations made by those members who live close enough to do one night at WDW.
Thank you! That’s good to know and helpful. It’s less of a stab in the dark since that (awesome) thread is mainly for Studios and 1 bedrooms for now.

Plus you can check a few days before you book to see what is still available at the resort you are interested in. So if BCV is totally booked for two bedroom villas, you don't need to waste time there.
thank you. I’ve been using that app, which I’m not entirely sure I should mention here, from when we bought direct back in May but backed out cause I felt like I only got half truths, at best from the dvc sales lady. But still did the log in for availability. Though I’m not sure how accurate the app is. Mostly will do time in May usually, so I log in randomly and checked when October started to get an idea just for future May stays and non home resort availability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter