Changing careers

Valbot

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how many people have changed careers and how hard was it. I've hit the point that I can't stand going to my job. There is literally nothing I find joy in other then the fact the pay is decent and its taking a toll on most of my relationships.

I know ill have to take a pay decrease but clearly money doesn't buy happiness. As anyone pulled the trigger on starting over in a new job.

Absolutely. I left corporate several years after having worked about a decade in downtown Chicago. I wanted a more flexible schedule and more time to travel/enjoy life. Now I work independently.

Absolutely. I left corporate several years after having worked about a decade in downtown Chicago. I wanted a more flexible schedule and more time to travel/enjoy life. Now I work independently.

Im going on six years on a grave yard shift in a tough field. Im at the point I just go to work and sleep and not enjoying life. I've started applying and have had a few interviews but I guess fear of not finding something quickly has been what has stopped me.
I know I need to make a change soon.

Not completely changed careers but changed how I do my job. I was a private practice dentist with my own practice. 3 years ago I sold the practice and joined the Army. I love it. I have paid days off and none of the insurance hassle. It’s been a big shift in finances but so much less stress.

I changed careers, but not because I didn't like my career. After an injury I wasn't sure I could recover enough to be cleared for lifting at work, so I went back to school to get a different degree. I couldn't have done it without the support of DH and may parents to pick up the slack while I crammed in classes and studying. We also racked up some debt between the loss of salary and the expense of school. But it all worked out in the end. In fact, I could go back to my original career if I wanted to, but I like the family friendly hours and holidays of my new one better.

Life's too short to spend a good part of your day doing something you hate, even if a different job means a little less income.

Im going on six years on a grave yard shift in a tough field. Im at the point I just go to work and sleep and not enjoying life. I've started applying and have had a few interviews but I guess fear of not finding something quickly has been what has stopped me.

I would just keep hammering away. Think about things that you would like to do and get creative about how to go about getting a job in those areas.

I worked in the medical field for six years after graduating college. I never liked it, but figured it was job security and tried to tell myself that everyone cries on the way work in the mornings lol. It was rough.

I finally had enough. I was miserable and I hated taking my daughter to daycare at the buttcrack of dawn all summer. I came to the decision that I would rather make less money but have more time off. So long story short, I no longer work in the medical field and am off from the end of April through the end of September every year, and I have never been happier. And since I don’t have to pay for daycare in the summer now, it isn’t as financially terrifying as I thought it would be lol

I did. Happy as a clam now and I actually work 100x harder in my current career than I did before.

Not me, but DD did a change.
From teacher (which she hated....too much politics and too many uninvolved parents.....in her school, not all) to office manager at a law firm.
She really likes it, but the commute is long

I graduated with a degree in Elementary education, taught for two years and hated it. Taught for two more years and started back to school part-time on a Civil Engineering degree. Quit teaching , went back to school full time for two years and finished my degree. Worked as an Engineer for about thirty years and retired.

I worked graveyard for 25 years. I did that by choice because it ALLOWED me to enjoy life, be at my kids events, something my wife, who worked a normal day shift could not do. Tough to get to a Little League or Soccer game at 5 pm when you work until 6 pm. Kids are grown, and I now go to work at 3 am.......yup....sleeping in now! DW was able to shift from a 9 to 6 shift to a 430 am start, so now that the kids are grown, we are on nearly the same schedule and have time to ourselves.
Good luck with the job search. No matter what work hours, sometimes you just have to fine a way to balance work and life.

I’ve changed jobs many times, but within the same basic field. Some have been better than others. But, as the primary bread winner, I don’t have the luxury of choosing “job enjoyment” over salary & benefits. So no, I have no experience with that.

I did. Ran a child care center for 12 years and loved it. When my sons were young, my mom and I switched off so that one of us was always able to be with them and when Dd came along, I had her there with me.

But when it came time for Dd to start school, mom had retired and I knew it wouldn’t be the same as when the boys were young. I couldn’t expect her to do the same as she did for them. I opened the center at 5:30 am and closed at 5:30 pm. I wouldn’t be able to get Dd on the bus or take her to school so that was problem one. And the center took up a lot of weekend time with maintenance and dh had gone back to driving a truck so he wasn’t going to be available to help. So even though business was good, I decided to get out and sold it.

And I got a job as a secretary at the community college. The hours were perfect. I could drop Dd off on my way to work and be home by the time she got off the bus. And I am off most days school is out. I am still there 13 years and 3 promotions later and still live it. Just had to find something that worked with my life.

Just wondering how many people have changed careers and how hard was it. I've hit the point that I can't stand going to my job. There is literally nothing I find joy in other then the fact the pay is decent and its taking a toll on most of my relationships.

I know ill have to take a pay decrease but clearly money doesn't buy happiness. As anyone pulled the trigger on starting over in a new job.

I'm right there with ya! I'm also on graveyard and honestly, I want to rejoin the living. I have a music ed degree, which I did teach, but after a few bad admins budget cuts, I've burned out. I've been having a tough time placing myself in a decent job that I'd actually like going to that pays well. I'm constantly applying places with no luck, and I've broadened my search to out of state. I'm honestly lost, but still trying to find better.

I didn’t change careers, but I did go to part time after my baby girl was born. I have a lot more free time now to do things that make me happy and my house is a lot cleaner now! It’s only possible because my husband makes a lot more money now than he used to.

and am off from the end of April through the end of September every year, and I have never been happier. And since I don’t have to pay for daycare in the summer now, it isn’t as financially terrifying as I thought it would be lol

This is just pure nosiness on my part. Do you mind sharing what you do which has such a large amount of time off? That's a five month block off every year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter