Changing careers

Yes, I did it recently. I was a medical logistics manager (contractor) for the Army. Decided my heart lies in accounting so I went and got my degree from PSU, got a job at one of the Big 4, and am now a CPA. I took a cut in pay for almost 2 years. Now I'm above where I was when I left my other job and I work for a company I love doing I job that I like (on most days lol). BTW, I am 45. :)

I probably have 5-8 years left in my field. I coach gymnastics and am almost 48. I don’t know how long I will safely spot. My goal right now is to throw every dollar I make into paying off the house. Then when the bills are lower, I can see what else is out there. I did have a tutoring job fall into my lap, but they are moving so it won’t last much longer.

My wife made a change like you described because the industry she did work in is not going to be around forever and due to the way it is funded it was always stressful when budgets were released. She moved from her old industry into the insurance industry. What made it an easy move for her is that her skill set wasn't overly specialized so it was applicable to more than just what she did. She has an MBA and that opened a lot of doors. She also had a lot of managerial experience in a very regulated industry so jumping into management in a different highly regulated industry wasn't that terrible of a move.

I would ask if you have transferable skills or can apply what you do now to what you want to do. I would be able to jump industries pretty fluidly but my core job function is relatively universal. I never specialized so deeply in one discipline that I pigeonhole myself.

I'm mulling the idea of a 3rd (4th?) act for myself, depending on whether or not you're using new math. My current job can be quite emotionally draining and I'm contemplating whether or not it's worth the stress for much longer.

I probably have 5-8 years left in my field. I coach gymnastics and am almost 48. I don’t know how long I will safely spot. My goal right now is to throw every dollar I make into paying off the house. Then when the bills are lower, I can see what else is out there. I did have a tutoring job fall into my lap, but they are moving so it won’t last much longer.

You might be able to get a job at one on the American Ninja Warrior training facilities. I think there are two in Houston.

I got bored with things quickly. I started out, after 4 years in the Air Force, as a retail chain store manager. I quickly tired of that, and hired on at a small publishing company doing graphic arts and offset photography. The company quickly grew and before I knew it I was the General Manager of a web printing company and Vice President and assistant publisher for our publishing product. Took me 11 years but I did get bored with that and bought a Residential Care Home caring for the mentally challenged, mentally ill, physically challenged and elderly. My wife, an RN, and I worked that for the first few years and then she went on to get two masters degrees, one in nursing and the other in gerontology. I hired people but oversaw that operation both hands on and from a distance for 14 years. In the meantime I also worked full time as an accountant at two different construction companies (not at the same time). That bored me to tears and after a trip to WDW and Kennedy Space Center I decided that I would be fun to drive a bus and also would give me a direct route into becoming a Disney Driver. I drove a city bus for 3 years and was promoted to a supervisor of field operations... from there I retired from full time work. Life and things changed and I was no longer wanting to move to Florida, but, did move to North Carolina where I have had a couple part time jobs locally driving buses. But, now mostly retired.

I had to learn a new field in each of my changes, but, I don't recall it being a huge problem, just required some patience. I know that my personality would not allow me to work the same place for years and years. My sister does that and has had her 45th anniversary with the same employer that she worked for, Part time, as a college student. Never changed. She is probably better off financially then I am, in retirement, but, I have everything I want and need, so I'm just fine. However, if I ever have to do a resume it would require a rain forest to print it out on.

I'm right there with ya! I'm also on graveyard and honestly, I want to rejoin the living. I have a music ed degree, which I did teach, but after a few bad admins budget cuts, I've burned out. I've been having a tough time placing myself in a decent job that I'd actually like going to that pays well. I'm constantly applying places with no luck, and I've broadened my search to out of state. I'm honestly lost, but still trying to find better.

Yeah Ive had to shift to looking out of state and am close with a new job. Had hoped to stay near the family but at this point the option out of state would improve my quality of life. I hate grave yard and I applaud anyone that does it their entire career.
I've pretty much decided I have to leave my current work sitation.

Yeah Ive had to shift to looking out of state and am close with a new job. Had hoped to stay near the family but at this point the option out of state would improve my quality of life. I hate grave yard and I applaud anyone that does it their entire career.
I've pretty much decided I have to leave my current work sitation.

I worked graveyard from 2014-16. Had to duck bullets as I walked to my company's office.

Last edited:
Im going on six years on a grave yard shift in a tough field. Im at the point I just go to work and sleep and not enjoying life. I've started applying and have had a few interviews but I guess fear of not finding something quickly has been what has stopped me.
I know I need to make a change soon.

I'm right there with ya! I'm also on graveyard and honestly, I want to rejoin the living. I have a music ed degree, which I did teach, but after a few bad admins budget cuts, I've burned out. I've been having a tough time placing myself in a decent job that I'd actually like going to that pays well. I'm constantly applying places with no luck, and I've broadened my search to out of state. I'm honestly lost, but still trying to find better.

Graveyard just sucks the life out of you if it's not something you've deliberately chosen. There are some that love it; I'm not one of them! My first job in my new field, while going back to school, was third shift. I knew within a month that I would only be looking for first shift jobs when I finished school. To me, working nights feels like you never really leave. When you head out in the morning and your co-workers are like, "See you tonight!"...ugh. Just kill me. I know it's arbitrary and really it's the same amount of time away as any other shift has, but psychologically, I just can't get past it. I also hated having so little time where my other half and I were both home and awake!

I did eight years in retail thanks to a relatively useless first bachelor's degree, and always knew I wanted to go back.

Finally made the leap when we were in a good spot for it financially. Started an entry-level, no-degree-required spot in my new field while in school, and have been in a fully degreed/certified position for just about 4 years. I love it!

All work is work on some level; you have to do it on their schedule, follow dress codes or other goofy policies, put up with office politics, and deal with administrative BS that isn't the core work of the job. But I like that core work much better, I'm actually helping people instead of selling them stuff, I get more respect from people who ask what I do, and the check is certainly bigger!

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to hear people have made a shift and have been successful.
I'm ok with a pay cut to take more control of my quality of life. The last six years have been just a haze and miserable. I had really hope to stay in my current location but doesn't seem likely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter