Changing phone companies for extra money?

Ityldu

Mouseketeer
Has this ever been mentioned before? It seems almost too good to be true. Last week I switched to MCI for $50 calling card and 5000 FF miles. Today I received a $70 check from AT&T to switch back. Why wouldn't I just keep switching phone companies and collecting the money & miles? I can't even find anyplace where it says that I must remain with a company for a certain amount of time. I must be missing something here.

I rarely make long distance calls, so the difference in price is insignificant. Any info., please pass along. TIA

You can probably do this a couple of times before they stop giving you these great offers. Keep in mind, that when you change your long distance, the fine print also says you're changing your local long distance (intra-lata) as well. This is calling within your lata (usually defined as your area code, but not always), but outside your immediate local area. This is the calling area that up until a couple of years ago, was handled solely by your local phone company. Unfortunately, most long distance companies charge a much higher rate for this area than they do your actual long distance (inter-lata). Also, you will incur a "PIC change" fee from your local phone company for each switch you make. Basically, they have to process a order which tells the mechanized switch in the central office what company to route your calls through. A PIC change fee is usually $5, plus an additional $5 if you knowingly or unknowingly changed your intra-lata company as well. Weigh this probable $10 change fee against any money they are giving you. Also beware, the money they offer you if sometimes in the form of bill credits for the first month or two after you change. Usually, if you don't use it by making the calls, you will lose it. If you do decide to change your company, be sure to call them to set up some type of calling plan. Buyer beware...some plans charge a monthly fee of $5 or more, which will quickly eat away that chunk of change they baited you with. However, if you don't set up a calling plan you could be billed at "casual" billing rates, sometimes $1, $2 or more per minute. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the whole deal. Best advice is to chose the carriers you prefer (or, like I did, drop the inter-lata carrier all together), and ask your local phone company to place a PIC freeze on both your intra-lata and inter-lata companies. I work for a phone company, by the way, but call your own local phone company for more exact information for your area if needed. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter