Character meal for non-fans

REEREEG

Mouseketeer
We are going to disney with older relatives who think Disney is loud, crazy, and probably worse things. They like quiet restaurants with good food. I want them to come to one character meal with us (me and my 8 year old).

Which character meal would you recommend?

I would suggest a breakfast. Get it out of the way before any kids or parents spend the day in the park and get tired and have a melt down at the table next to you. Crystal Palace is nice for breakfast or the Beach Club is another nice breakfast

Garden Grill. Very low key especially if u are in the lower level. Feels like private meet n greets because u don't see other tables in general. With the way the booths are designed, its very quiet. Food is good too :)

The BEST character interaction at a character meal (although the 2TS Mickey's BBQ topped it for us - but that is the last thing from quiet haha).

Cape May Breakfast is nice, always been quiet for us, cute beach clothes on characters.
Garden Grill is nice, quieter, characters make the rounds well.

Most others will be quite loud, chaotic and less enjoyable for them.

I would suggest a breakfast. Get it out of the way before any kids or parents spend the day in the park and get tired and have a melt down at the table next to you. Crystal Palace is nice for breakfast or the Beach Club is another nice breakfast
Thanks!

Garden Grill. Very low key especially if u are in the lower level. Feels like private meet n greets because u don't see other tables in general. With the way the booths are designed, its very quiet. Food is good too :)

The BEST character interaction at a character meal (although the 2TS Mickey's BBQ topped it for us - but that is the last thing from quiet haha).

Thanks - I was thinking about doing the BBQ when it's just me & my daughter - is 8 a good age for it?

I would vote dinner with Cinderella and the step sister's at the Grand Floridian. You've got a beautiful lobby, piano music and lots of little girls dressed like princesses.

Problem is they sound like they don't want to like it so no matter where you eat they will likely find something wrong with it.
With that said I'd probably suggest Garden Grill. Its served all you can eat family style, if you're in a booth around the outside you don't even see other people, you rotate around Living With The Land, the characters give good one on one time.... Just all around a good option in my opinion.

Thanks - I was thinking about doing the BBQ when it's just me & my daughter - is 8 a good age for it?

I would say it depends on your daughter. My 3 year old niece adored it.

It is an expensive meal - does she like dancing with the characters? How does she handle chaotic craziness? When the characters hit the dance floor, it is a free for all. I met another kid there about 8/9yrs and he hated the madness. His mom kept telling him to just go up and dance with Mickey...he would go near but then another kid would push past him. Poor kid couldn't get Mickey's attention. And the whole time his overexcited Mom was telling out instructions. He ended up in tears. During this time my niece would happily run up to Mickey and dance near him. She would sometimes try to get his attention and if she failed, she would twirl around and try again later or go dance with a different character. Mickey was VERY good and did his best to spread out his attention to as many kids as possible.

In between dance sessions, the characters also do traditional meet n greets (which was a much better fit for the above kid. Poor Mom had paid a bundle when a free FP with Talking Mickey would have suited her son much better).

Also, the party is packed with little kids. I know some 8yr olds start to feel awkward, like they are too old for this. What is your DD like? My DD would not have cared.

They try really hard to make it a good experience. My niece danced with all the characters multiple times. She also met them all formalIy in more traditional meet n greets. In between they had busker - style entertainment. They had photographers everywhere and I asked for (and got) so many different styles photos. One photo session we did with mickey bars were amazing. And the food was great - best ribs we had for the entire 2 weeks!

We loved it :)

Last edited:

It is an expensive meal - does she like dancing with the characters? How does she handle chaotic craziness? When the characters hit the dance floor, it is a free for all. I met another kid there about 8/9yrs and he hated the madness. His mom kept telling him to just go up and dance with Mickey...he would go near but then another kid would push past him. Poor kid couldn't get Mickey's attention. And the whole time his overexcited Mom was telling out instructions. He ended up in tears. During this time my niece would happily run up to Mickey and dance near him. She would sometimes try to get his attention and if she failed, she would twirl around and try again later or go dance with a different character. Mickey was VERY good and did his best to spread out his attention to as many kids as possible.

In between dance sessions, the characters also do traditional meet n greets (which was a much better fit for the above kid. Poor Mom had paid a bundle when a free FP with Talking Mickey would have suited her son much better).

Also, the party is packed with little kids. I know some 8yr olds start to feel awkward, like they are too old for this. What is your DD like?

They try really hard to make it a good experience. My niece danced with all the characters multiple times. She also met them all formalIy in more traditional meet n greets. In between they had busker - style entertainment. They had photographers everywhere and I asked for (and got) so many different styles photos. One session we did with mickey bars were amazing. And the food was great - best ribs we had for the entire 2 weeks!

Thank you - that's very helpful - I will read her what you wrote tomorrow!

Also, the party is packed with little kids. I know some 8yr olds start to feel awkward, like they are too old for this. What is your DD like? My DD would not have cared.

They try really hard to make it a good experience. My niece danced with all the characters multiple times. She also met them all formalIy in more traditional meet n greets. In between they had busker - style entertainment. They had photographers everywhere and I asked for (and got) so many different styles photos. One photo session we did with mickey bars were amazing. And the food was great - best ribs we had for the entire 2 weeks!

Thanks you so much for your review of the BBQ! I have it booked for december, but I don´t see many people talking about it here. When you went, did you pay for the Category 1 seating (the one you enter first to eat and meet the characters)?

We are going to disney with older relatives who think Disney is loud, crazy, and probably worse things. They like quiet restaurants with good food. I want them to come to one character meal with us (me and my 8 year old).

Which character meal would you recommend?

This sound exactly like my trip, my In-laws are tagging along for the first week of our two week break; and my FIL said he didn't want the time in Disney to be as I quote "Too Disney".

we're going to a character meal as we're traveling with our DS who's 4, we decided that we would take them to Tuskers House for lunch.

As I was thinking as there the food slight more exotic than some of the other "Character Buffets" and he can get a beer so hopefully that would take their minds the Disney-ness of it all.

Although I think when they do the dance parade bit might all go pear shaped lol..

But hey I love Disney:earboy2: and in the immortal words of Maui they can just "Suck it up buttercup" :rotfl:

Tusker House - go for an early breakfast, and ask if you can be seated in the small room in the back. There are only 5 or 6 tables in there, and it's very quiet.

Would BOG dinner count to you? You get to pose for a pic with the Beast, without the constant visits to the table.

If not, I'd 2nd the recommendation for small room at TH, breakfast or lunch.

I think Garden Grill would be a good one. The way the restaurant is set up, you're not right next to other people and you don't see the characters coming a mile off. I'm indifferent to the character meals but I've gone there with family twice. The food was good and you can put the non-character people in the inside of the booth so they don't have to interact at all, haha.

Thanks you so much for your review of the BBQ! I have it booked for december, but I don´t see many people talking about it here. When you went, did you pay for the Category 1 seating (the one you enter first to eat and meet the characters)?

It's not well-regarded on the Dis or by many major bloggers. I think because it has gone up in price so much over the last few years. Seen many rave reviews elsewhere though. That said, I wouldn't recommend it for older kids. With it costing 2 TS credits, only my brother and I took my niece here. Everyone else in our party would have enjoyed it too but maybe not 2 TS credits worth.

I used dining plan so I didn't (Cat 1 is not included). If I paid cash...maybe. We got plenty of character time by being strategic though.

The way it works is:

Before the bbq starts, Cat 1 folks get to go for private meet n greets. The rest take pics outside (there are several PP photographers so we got a "private" mini session) and then after that stand in line outside.

Start: Everyone is let in one family at a time. We are told over and over don't wait for everyone to be seated, just choose a spot wherever we like and then go get food ASAP.

After most people have had a chance to grab food: Show starts and then characters come out to dance. Kids go crazy.

Break: characters leave dance floor and busker-style entertainment happens in the main stage area. Most little kids go sit and watch this. During this time, character meets are set up on the right and left (Mickey and Minnie on the left and the others on the right side facing the stage).

The above happens maybe 3 times? So there are 3 rounds of character meet n greets. My niece went to the bathroom + we were getting food in the first round so we didn't do the meet then. In the second round, I was ready and we headed straight for the Mickey & Minnie greet, waiting there before the characters came out (so nobody was lining up yet). In the 3rd round, we headed straight for the other characters (as did everyone else as the BBQ was over) and waited less than 10 mins and got to meet Goofy, Chip & Dale.

We lingered around afterwards and then noticed that Mickey & Minnie moved to the middle together. They were making sure EVERYONE got photos. So we went up again and we got a pic with them together. After that was done, we were just about the last to leave the BBQ area.

I think any of the sit-down character meals would work - Garden Grill especially. It's quite quiet in there and you don't have to battle for food at a buffet.

I think a bigger problem is that, for the price they are paying, good food at Disney is rather ummmm... subjective.

I was hoping for more of a foodie experience, but was pleasantly surprised at MASSIVE AMOUNTS of greasy cheesy AMERICAN comfort food *gorge!*
Problem is, I gained 3 pounds and had to go on a sodium de-tox at home.

But if they are expecting artisan food then I don't think any restaurant on Disney Park property will satisfy that palate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter