Character meet etiquette

I agree with the other posters who suggested character meals as an alternative. I know you stated that you weren't sure how far in advance you'd be able to make ressies, however if you keep checking you will find some availability! And you could always go to the Chip & Dale free character meet and greet which is held each evening at FW. If you chose to do some character meals rather than having your 2 year old melt down waiting in lines, or angering other guests when bypassing them in order to hand off the 2 year old at the front of the line, I'm thinking your trip would be more pleasant.
ETA: We've gotten same day or day before reservations for the character breakfast at Cape May Café no problem!

Having just gotten back with a two year old...my suggestions would be:

1) Use Fastpass if its that important
2) Character meals
3) Rope drop and go right to the characters

We met several characters all with little waits using two of those methods (We didn't fastpass any meet and greets).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!