Check in online OR at the resort

scrapycruiser

DIS Veteran
Which would you advise ? Checking in online or at the resort ?
This is my wife’s 70th birthday and I’m hoping for an upgrade.
Presently we have a DVC 2 bedroom booked for March 28- April 5.

Which would you advise ? Checking in online or at the resort ?
This is my wife’s 70th birthday and I’m hoping for an upgrade.
Presently we have a DVC 2 bedroom booked for March 28- April 5.
What kind of upgrade are you looking for? I am not 100% sure what kind of upgrades they offer to DVC stays...

Good luck though, I'll be rooting for your pixie dust!

Well if you're hoping to fish around for a free upgrade then you'd want to check in at the resort.
Personally though I'd just check in online and take what I paid for instead of trying to schmooze for an upgrade and be disappointed if all my schmoozing didn't work.

We've stayed 4-5 times (can't remember exactly), paid cash reservations every time and have never gotten an upgrade. I figure it's easier to book what you want - plus we've never had a bad 2 bedroom villa ever.

I think DVC upgrades are hard to come by, especially 2 bedrooms and especially on a points reservation. But, it never hurts to ask - worst they can say is no! I agree that checking in at the resort is best if you want to request an upgrade.

Personally, we preferred online check-in. When you pull up, the bellmen grab your bags and the CM stationed at the front podium greets you with your lei/kukui nut necklace. You give him or her your name and they present you with your keys and welcome packet and you're on your way. No need to wait in the sometimes long line at the front desk.

Check in online is great and easy, make sure you do the enter pin for charging privilege process. The person at the front podium didn't have us setup the pin. So our first charge at Ulu cafe cannot go through, my BF had to go up to lobby and setup pin while I waited with our food at Ulu. I was standing there for a while and they must've felt sorry for me and let me take the food to a table to sit down and wait.

I do not think you will get a room upgrade to pool view. I tried to book a room for that week with a pool view and there weren't any available. We ended up booking for the 6th. That being said, there could always have been some cancellations since then, you never know. Also, we were looking for two queens. Maybe there were some king bed pool views available.

DVC upgrades generally don't happen unless there's a service issue and there's no other villas in our category. Be cautious asking for an upgraded villa because the resort will take that as approval to take the necessary points for the upgrade.

Book what you what when it comes to DVC.

While we are not DVC members, nor did we stay in a DVC room during our August 2018 stay, when I attempted the online checkin beforehand I ran into several technical issues with their website, particularly when it came to special requests. As a result, I ended up calling Aulani directly to 1) confirm that my online checkin actually went through, and 2) to mention during the conversation that it was our first time at Aulani and our daughter's first item ever to the Hawaiian islands. I never asked for any sort of upgrade, but once we arrived and discovered out room, we were excited to find that our inland island view was now an internal view, above Makahiki, with a view of the lazy river and the ocean in the distance. It was a wonderful surprise!

We go to aulani yearly in a two bedroom ocean view. So no ipgrade required. But st other dvc resorts when using points a free upgrade is rare. If there is a room the desk will call dvc member services to take the extra points out of your account. We have had that happen

I commented when your wife asked the same question, as others have mentioned it's best to book the room type you want to stay in with DVC as upgrades are very rare. I have overheard others ask in the past and they have been advised of the additional points required to make the change in reservations.

I appreciate everyone’s remarks. I understand now that an upgrade is impossible. We are very happy with what we’ve booked. Just thought we might get a perk for a 70 Birthday
Funny, I saw where someone ( not on points) got an upgrade for a 16th Birthday
Believe me, I’m thrilled for our 1st visit to Aulani....

Believe me, I’m thrilled for our 1st visit to Aulani....

It never hurts to try. The worst they can do is say no, right? :)

For the first time at any resort, I always think it's better to check in at the desk anyway. That gives you an opportunity to get the 411 on the resort and ask any questions you may have. I understand wanting to avoid the line and get your vacation started, but at least find another time to go by the front desk to get the spiel for guests. Have fun and happy birthday to your wife!

I hope your wife has a great birthday! i know i would be thrilled if someone took me there! Going back to your original question, i do believe if its your first trip there, then it makes sense to go to the front desk to find out all you can about the resort and events...

i actually prefer the online check in, BUT our trip to Aulani has three couples.. so we have to link room keys to specific credit cards... ( im not paying for anyone else's shaved ice!!!! :o) ) So we have to go to the front desk...

enjoy your stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!