Child turning 10 y/o during trip and on DDP

aubriee

<font color=brown><marquee>Chocolate always makes
We'll be at WDW Sept 22nd-Sept 30th. I'm thinking about taking my 9 y/o GD with us. She'll turn 10 y/o Sept 25th. I know she won't count as a third adult in the room (right?) and that I can buy her a child's ticket since she'll be 9 y/o when the trip starts. Does that also mean that she'd need to order off the kids menus for the entire trip or could she start ordering off the adult menus (getting an appetizer) after she turns 10 y/o on the 25th.

Disney just cares about the age the child is on the first day of the trip. So if you arrive and she's 9, then Disney considers her 9 the whole time.

She can order off any menu at any time. However, on the DDP, as child is supposed to order off the children's menu if one is available.

If I am correct, you are on the free dining plan. Personally, I would have no problem stating that she is 10 years old when she is. That is not lying or being deceptive in any way. Disney is giving you the plan as an incentive to travel. Unless you are asked, you do not have to state that she was 9 at the time you checked in. This is just one of those little times when you can get a small perk. I don't see it as any different than a 2 3/4 year old going on the cruise and paying only the taxes (no fare), but because they are within 30 days of turning 3 (and potty trained), they are allowed to participate in all 3 year old activities. Disney is well aware that these instances occur, but they are part of drawing the lines and making the rules. I do have a problem with buying a child's plan and using it for adult meals. I feel this is different because you are following all of the Disney rules and totally being truthful. You just fall into one of those "cracks" where is works to your benefit.

I agree with the last post completely. Choose the option that works best for you (which in this case is clearly the adult plan even though it would cost you a few dollars more in MYW passes).

My daughter turned 10 when we were at WDW in March. I was paying for the DDP, so there was no question about it for me...I paid for her as a child. If it was free dining I would have paid for her as an adult.

Our DD9 is turning 10 on our next trip (with free dining). We made reservations as her being 9 for the trip. We called CM/reservationist later and asked if she could be changed to an adult since she was turning 10 on the trip. CM said they'd be glad to take our money (extra $41 or so for the adult park-pass), and that it would be an adjustment to the current package-reservation vs. needing to be a re-booking. We figured it'd save about $40-50 in OOP food expense, so it'll be about even for us to do this. Haven't made the change yet though...wanted to check with DD9.

Talked to DD9...she really liked the idea of ordering her appetizers/desserts on the meal plan, and it'd allow more adult-food for her brothers (they prefer good food and even veggies over having fried-chicken-strips and burgers every meal, so they eat part of theirs and part of ours usually).

Knowing we get different answers from different CMs a LOT, we get to find out this evening (when we call back) if the first CM was correct about it being a simple adjustment. If so, DD9 gratuates to adulthood (my baby's all grown up :sad1: ).

So, book your GD9 as an adult. It's ok with Disney, but even more importantly, it's ok with kcashner. :rolleyes2

ngtotd_dtrt said:
Haven't made the change yet though...wanted to check with DD9.

Even if she didn't like the adult choices at some of the restaurants it would most likely still be worth it to upgrade. Even under the adult plan she could still order from the children's menu if she wanted. Sometimes if you ask the servers, they'll make an "adult-sized" portion from the child's menu. She'd also be entitled to the adult dessert menu, which generally has a LOT more choices than the kids menu (which is usually just an ice cream sundae or something). In addition, she'd be entitled to a full-sized adult appetizer, which even if she didn't like anything, it would give the adults an extra appetizer to try.

formernyer said:
Even if she didn't like the adult choices at some of the restaurants it would most likely still be worth it to upgrade. Even under the adult plan she could still order from the children's menu if she wanted. Sometimes if you ask the servers, they'll make an "adult-sized" portion from the child's menu. She'd also be entitled to the adult dessert menu, which generally has a LOT more choices than the kids menu (which is usually just an ice cream sundae or something). In addition, she'd be entitled to a full-sized adult appetizer, which even if she didn't like anything, it would give the adults an extra appetizer to try.

yes, that's why it's worth the $40 or so. We figured we'd spend a little over that buying extra desserts and an occasional app./meal OOP at these places otherwise. You try telling my DW she'll have to share her dessert...go on...try...

(j/k, sorta :teeth: )

Called and made the change today, no problem*. We'll get a new statement with the higher cost listed (park-passes).

*Called last night and a not-too-good CM was having trouble with it, so we said 'thanks, we'll think about it somemore'. The guy today was on the 'A' team. :)

We have the same issue.

My DD9, would prefer the kids menus and wouldn't even be intrested in the adult desserts, much less the meal choices. She wouldn't eat adult size servings either. If I thought she would feel as though she was missing out, or might not get enough to eat on the kids portions, I'd have her listed as 10 from the first day.

Since the dining is free, I would just list her as an adult so that there is no problem with her getting to order whatever she wants. The only fall back is that she would have to buy an adult ticket. You could let her use it, or put it away for another trip and buy her a child's ticket when you get there. If you were paying for the dining plan, then I would stick with the child's price. JMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter