China Exit Ban Risk for U.S. Citizens?

Some concern but it also depends on your tolerance for risk when traveling.

China occasionally imprisons people to use as bargaining chips in negotiations abroad. Most people are unlikely to be affected but you will be in higher risk if you work in press, politics, law, humanitarian aid, or business and have expressed unfavorable opinions of China. You may also be targeted if they think you can be used as leverage to convince a person they wish to prosecute or a foreign government to act in a certain way. I personally know some Christian missionaries who have been arrested or put under government surveillance while in China but also some who have not had any problems.

If any of the above applies to you, I would avoid China as long as tensions are high with the US. I am reconsidering a trip to Shanghai Disneyland but for most Americans there's no reason to fear China any more than Latin America or Europe right now.

Some concern but it also depends on your tolerance for risk when traveling.

China occasionally imprisons people to use as bargaining chips in negotiations abroad. Most people are unlikely to be affected but you will be in higher risk if you work in press, politics, law, humanitarian aid, or business and have expressed unfavorable opinions of China. You may also be targeted if they think you can be used as leverage to convince a person they wish to prosecute or a foreign government to act in a certain way. I personally know some Christian missionaries who have been arrested or put under government surveillance while in China but also some who have not had any problems.

If any of the above applies to you, I would avoid China as long as tensions are high with the US. I am reconsidering a trip to Shanghai Disneyland but for most Americans there's no reason to fear China any more than Latin America or Europe right now.

Yea I'm a nobody so I don't think there is reason to be concerned. But I wish I didn't even have to think about it.

You'll be fine as long as you don't bring attention to yourself. No politics, religion or anything controversial. The odds of that happening are really slim. They put China in the same advisory threat as visiting some European countries.

I'm currently finishing up a trip to China (last day of Shanghai Disney is tomorrow :( ) and am far more worried about not being allowed back into the US as my partner is Latino with a Middle-Eastern-sounding last name. Unless you're here for some kind of missionary or political work or you do something stupid and massively illegal while you're here, I wouldn't worry about it.

Depends on your employment. I admit I had minor pause as my husband works in aeronautics but we just left our laptops and such at home and I made sure to keep my mouth shut or very positive while I was in China in an over abundance of caution because its how I roll. Honestly no one paid us any attention the entire two weeks we were gone - odds are very much in your favor unless you are somehow known to them or do something very stupid while you are there.

I'll add that the entire thing is one big retaliation cycle: Canada arrested someone high up in Huawei (a huge Chinese telecom) at the request of the US, so China arrested a Canadian national and increased the sentence for a different Canadian who had already been arrested and tried for trafficking a huge amount of drugs. So the US and Canada issued travel bans. The likelihood of getting in any trouble over there is almost nonexistent unless you do something like try to move several hundred pounds of meth or start a protest movement or try to spread religious doctrine, in part because no one ever asks about your employment or line of work while you're there unless you're there for work on an appropriate visa.

Is this really something to worry about? I found plane tickets for so incredibly cheap we are considering a trip. But this is giving me a bit of pause since we will be traveling with our young daughter. To be fair I see a lot of europe is also a level 2 and we have a big trip planned in the fall but exit ban just sounds scary.

Is this really something to worry about? I found plane tickets for so incredibly cheap we are considering a trip. But this is giving me a bit of pause since we will be traveling with our young daughter. To be fair I see a lot of europe is also a level 2 and we have a big trip planned in the fall but exit ban just sounds scary.

It's not. It's a political posturing contest right now, it doesn't actually mean there's any problem getting into or out of China. The only reason I might worry is if you are planning on doing any political or religious activities while there that could be considered "activism." Or if you do something else illegal like the idiot who was trafficking some absurd quantity of meth and recently had his sentence increased. My partner and I just took a trip to China and exited twice, never with any problem. No one we saw in line at either airport had any problems getting through, either. In fact, the only issue we had was temporarily getting back into China from HK (over land) because my visa picture was old and I've gained weight so my face didn't look the same! Even then, it was a delay of 5 minutes and nothing further. As you pointed out, most of Europe is listed as a level 2 as well and no one says not to go there.

It seems as though the risk is now more for Canadians than U.S. citizens. Though probably still not much of a risk.

As long as you stay out of politically sensitive regions (ie Tibet and Xinjiang provinces), avoid talking politics or religion, and don't photograph or get too close to military bases, you should be fine. I can't imagine them detaining you if you keep your mouth shut on the above mentioned topics and stick to tourist-y stuff while in China.

As long as you stay out of politically sensitive regions (ie Tibet and Xinjiang provinces), avoid talking politics or religion, and don't photograph or get too close to military bases, you should be fine. I can't imagine them detaining you if you keep your mouth shut on the above mentioned topics and stick to tourist-y stuff while in China.
What if you've been to Tibet in the past?

What if you've been to Tibet in the past?

If they took umbridge with that, more than likely they'd deny you a visa to enter the country. It's easier and far cheaper than detaining you after arrival for them. That being said, I'd advise a visit to the Chinese embassy or consulate where you live as they would know better than me.

If they took umbridge with that, more than likely they'd deny you a visa to enter the country. It's easier and far cheaper than detaining you after arrival for them. That being said, I'd advise a visit to the Chinese embassy or consulate where you live as they would know better than me.
My visa is still good for China from that trip. Unless they decide to take it away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!