choice for next trip

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
So the plan in March is to travel and meet my daughter, her husband, and my grandson (who will be 2 1/2). They should be living in FLA by then (son in law is a Marine).
The plan has been to book a 1 BR lake view studio at BLT so we have good access to MK, since my grandson is really into Mickey, Donald, etc. right now. We realize this trip will be a little kid/character kind of trip, which we haven't had for years.
Now I'm thinking another possibility is booking BWV 1 BR. My daughter remembers our stays in the Boardwalk area and loved it. This would also make it easy to go to Toy Story Land and anything at Epcot that would be good for his age, although I do think MK would be more to his liking. (only 5 nights and AK will probably not make the cut)
My daughter may also be pregnant by that time, so it will be a slow and easy trip.
I have been able to get BLT at 7 months before without a problem, and studios at Boardwalk (one BW view and one garden view) but how is the availability for a BW 1 BR at 7 months? This will be 2nd week in March, almost a month before Easter itself but still college break time. I know if worse comes to worse I will be able to get into our home resort of SSR, but want one of the easier transportation options with a toddler.
Thoughts?

With the family moving to Florida, I would hold off on Toy Story Land since it will still be crowded and head to MK. They can do TSL on a slow time that will be convenient for a resident.

We own at BLT and just did a trip with our 2yo (and 5yo) in BCV this past March and spent much of our free time playing at BWV. I don't think you can go wrong with either BWV or BLT if you can get them. She does like MK better and we do tend to spend more time there on any given trip right now anyway. At this young age I would lean more to BLT for the easy walk to MK.

Another vote for easy access to MK with a 2.5 yo. We've stayed in both locations frequently, but with a stroller and possible needs for midday breaks, walking distance to MK is the best. Also if you decide to stay a little later one night, your grandson could start sleeping in the stroller (if he's that kind of toddler - my #1 was not, my #2 is) and you could walk back "home" easily without waking him, or having to fold a stroller.

I realize that you could walk from EP and HS to BWV, but if you haven't done the trip from a little kid's point of view in a while, it's really worth it to be based near MK.

Another vote for easy access to MK with a 2.5 yo. you could walk back "home" easily without waking him, or having to fold a stroller.
I don't have young children but this is a great plus!

if you haven't done the trip from a little kid's point of view
I think too often the little ones get pushed beyond their limits. I understand tickets are expensive etc. but the beauty/magic of DVC is being able to go back to the resort for that so important nap or quick dip in the pool to cool off!

OP, either option will work for you (though I vote BLT for MK), not only that but March is a great month to travel in FLorida, it's cool (busy, busy arround Easter/Spring break)! Truth be told, I love all of the resorts, it's all about family. What a wonderful time you have to look forward to till then!

You said '1BR lake view studio at BLT'. I assume you mean a 1BR and not a studio. The studios are quite small. The 1BR, though, has an extra bathroom and a sleeper chair and would be more set up well in case DD her hubby and little one want to stay. I agree that BLT would be the better option and I am a BWV owner. But, if you do go BWV, the 1BRs there are easiest to book.

We own at both BLT & BWV and with a 2.5 year old I also vote for BLT. We've used the BLT contract mostly when we go with extended family. 3 of those trips have had a 2-4 year old and we spend the majority of the time at MK. Like others said, being able to walk back to the room in under 10 minutes is a huge perk. The Boardwalk area is my favorite on property, but with little ones in tow we always try and stay at BLT.

The BLT 1 bedrooms are so spacious and the extra bathroom will be handy for you. The walk to MK makes it a slam dunk IMO.

I think the bathroom is what will sell it. I was preferring BLT 1 BR anyhow, but my daughter is nostalgic for the BWV. Historically both 1BR rooms should have openings. Thanks for the feedback!

I think the bathroom is what will sell it. I was preferring BLT 1 BR anyhow, but my daughter is nostalgic for the BWV. Historically both 1BR rooms should have openings. Thanks for the feedback!

I think it's likely you'll have the choice for either location. I'll say that it actually might be a better time to give your daughter the BWV stay again. At 2.5 yo the stamina will be less than when they get older and there are quite a few characters at both Epcot and DHS now to occupy too. A little older and MK will then be firmly in play which is why BWV might be good now. But - the extra bathroom IS nice!

I've been looking today and it seems the points are the same as BWV for a 1 BR at Beach Club or either of the Wilderness Lodge properties, and availability OK if I book right at 7 months. Thoughts? I've never stayed at BCV and stayed at the VWL back in 2003.

With the make up of your group, I would stick with BLT for the second bathroom. It will give everyone some privacy.

I've been looking today and it seems the points are the same as BWV for a 1 BR at Beach Club or either of the Wilderness Lodge properties, and availability OK if I book right at 7 months. Thoughts? I've never stayed at BCV and stayed at the VWL back in 2003.

I've stayed at BCV with a toddler (21 mos at the time), BWV with a 3yo, and gone to VWL for meals with babies, toddlers and little kids, but not stayed there:

BWV pool for a toddler is better. SAB is stressful with a toddler, and whoever is watching the toddler will be separated from anyone using the slides or lazy river part.

BWV is better for being close to the BW area, and closer to DHS.

VWL - you'll have fold the stroller to go anywhere. At least with BCV, BWV and BLT there's each at least 1 park you can go to without having to fold the stroller and carry it.

My vote overall goes to:

1. BLT
2. BWV
3. BVC
4. VWL only if there's no availability at 1-3.

Took DGS to Disney for the first time at 2.5, BLT all the way if you can get it. Not only did we love the short walk to MK, but he really enjoyed the splash pads at both BLT and the Contemporary. Plus his parents wanted to keep close to his normal schedule, which meant an early bedtime. We were able to see the fireworks (sideways view) from our balcony and his parents even let him stay up one night to watch in his PJ's. I found it easy to get from the entrance of BLT to our room as compared to the never ending hallways at BWV.

What about VGF? the standard view 1 BR is listed as "mostly" on the projected 7 months booking above. (lake view is not going to happen).

What about VGF? the standard view 1 BR is listed as "mostly" on the projected 7 months booking above. (lake view is not going to happen).
I would think Spring Break might make it more difficult. I have booked a VGF one bedroom in early May at seven months out twice so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter