Christmas 2017

I think it's time to start Christmas Shopping.:rainbow:

I use the app Santa's Bag to keep track of my purchases and the money spent. I love it. I have been using it a few years. I did upgrade from the free app so I could archive my purchases each year and look back on them if I need to.

So far I have purchased:

Under cabinet lighting pucks from Sams for both of my sisters and my sister in law, and their husbands, for in their kitchens $20 each pack of 5

Power chargers clearanced from $30 to $2.50 for Aunts and Uncles that we only see at Christmas and for the mail man, trash man and recycling man. I bought a few extras that I can throw in for stocking stuffers for my kids and husband.

Sleds at the end of last season for my niece and nephew. $4.00 each I did get two of them to give my sons also.

My oldest is getting ready to buy a car, so he will want things for that. My youngest and my husband never give me much of an idea, so I love these threads so I can see what creative minds everyone else has.

Jingle Bells! Jingle Bells!
I started during the summer......... This year is going to be very different for our family.
My shopping list got cut down by 2/3 as most of us are going on a holiday together instead of buying Christmas presents.
I still have my granddaughter and one son to buy for. I know my son just needs (wants) money so that is an easy one. So far for my granddaughter I've purchased 10 small gifts and will attach 10 of her favorite gift cards. I've been saving airmiles and buying starbuck gift cards with them. I plan on buying 35 $5.00 starbucks gift cards for my co workers, I just need to buy some Christmas cards. I do have one son (Dec 13) and a brother (Dec 25) that have birthdays and I need to buy one Secret Santa gift.
It may be the year to update a few Christmas home decorations.

Granddaughter's small gifts I've bought
1. Eos lip balm set
2. night gown/house coat
3. 2 pkg socks
4. shampoo and brush
5. capri sleep pants
6. bath bombs/claires
7. bath and body works mask and cream/pouch
8. Terrarium ball
9. make-up pouch set
10.bath gloves/spa booties

Granddaughter's Gift Cards I've bought
1. 2 25.00 Michaels
2. 1 Indigo 25.00 Indigo
3. 1 Google Play 25.00
4. 1 Amazon 50.00
5. 1 Cineplex Odeon 60.00
6. 1 Old Navy 50.00
7. 1 I-Tunes 30.00
8. 1 Claire's 30.00
9. 1 Bath and Body Works 25.00
10.1 Body Shop 25.00

One thing I have been thinking about is making a small travel santa sack for everyone traveling ,maybe with a little note from Summer Santa?
mini toothpaste
toothbrush
sun block
lip balm
tums
advil/tyleol
chewing gum/mints
dental floss
mini shampoo/conditioner
hand sanitizer
etc

summer-santa_23-2147528967.jpg

Last edited:
Joining in!!
I usually pick things up when I see something and will be done before thanksgiving. Not a fan of shopping after that.

To buy for:
Daughter - 17
Nephews - 21 and 16
My mom
4 kiddos we sponsor in Haiti
DD 6 teachers (usually give $10 Starbucks GC)

Bought so far:

DD
Light strand for room
$25 GC Starbucks
$15 GC iTunes
$15 GC cold stone ice cream
Bracelet
Bed throw blanket
Robe
Scarf

DN #1
Baseball hat

DN#2

Mom
$25 GC applebees

Haiti kids
Shoes and outfits for 3 of them (will get a couple communal games for group)
#4 (different organization) waiting to see what his biggest need is.

DD and I also see a show each Christmas time and nice dinner out. Like doing things instead of just buying gifts.

Going to DL end of the month so will get DD ornament there.

Good luck shopping and finding great deals!!

Last edited:
I also started shopping! Target had an awesome toy clearance in July/August so I got a bunch of stuff already.

DD 4:
Ariel Play Doh Set $7.03
Shimmer & Shine accessory set $4.51
Shimmer & Shine Megablocks $6.02

DS 7:
Coding Mouse game: $15.08

I also purchased a Little People Pirate Ship for $13 for my best friend's son's bday in November.

My daughter wants a powerwheel. We also want to get her a trampoline since she is in gymnastics now and need to replace the iPad with a new one since her cousin accidentally dropped it and cracked the corner. Does that sound like too much for a 4 year old? All I see here are little trinkets that will end up in the trash in my house.

My nephews and nieces are getting Amex gift cards, brother and sister in laws we usually get gift card to nice restaurant and movie passes to ipic. Parents are difficult so will have to think about that

I have a lot done already, but mostly because I'm just buying less this year.

I'm giving DD17 a membership to a local gym, so I picked her up a gym bag, a few workout outfits and things like a lock for a locker to go with it during various sales. I'm also going to get her one of the ancestry-focused DNA tests - she's adopted and really wants to do one to just see what it says about her ancestry. I don't think it will reveal anything magical (she's Asian and they are all weak on that aspect), and I have some qualms about the privacy of such services, but I also don't want her to think I'm standing in her way on anything like that and she's old enough to decide for herself what she wants to do, so I've decided I'll get it for her. Then I have gotten a few other smaller gifts for her too. Nothing huge, just a few things in the $10-30 range. I feel really good with what I have gotten/planned - I think she'll be really happy with it all and so I don't think I'll be buying much else at this point. Usually I buy more and more as we get closer to Christmas and she mentions things she wants, but I really don't feel the need to do that this year. We'll see if the resolve lasts!! The one thing I MAY end up getting still is a Google Home, if there is a fabulous Black Friday deal.

I even have a lot of DDs stocking stuffers already - I pick small things up throughout the year as I think of things and find good deals. Just a reminder - if you have things that you might want to get from China via eBay (I got a few cell phone accessories, some hair clips DD likes, etc), now is a good time to order them since it can take a month or even longer to get them. Something I bought the other day already had a delivery timeline out into mid-October!

Last edited:

Joining in also!

I haven't bought anything yet but when at the shops with the kids today I saw something DS16 would like and thought I need to go back an get it before it is gone!

We have cut right back on who we buy for in our family so these days I just need to buy for my kids DS16, DS13 & DD13 as well as my mum and dad. We also usually get something little for our next door neighbours (2 kids). I usually end up spending way more than I intended to!

It is also DS16's birthday at the end of November so I need to start buying stuff for that also.

I have started already. I am going more practical this year.
I have begun getting the boys new camping equipment: sleeping bags, sleep pads, backpacks. They still love their legos, so each will get a set. And I may get ski lessons for one who wants to tr y
My daughter is done. I have decided on an experience for her. She is getting Frozen Broadway tickets and her aunt (who I will be taking with us) will provide the hotel for the night. So she has something to unwrap I will pick up little things such as hair accessories or earrings from Claire's.

I only buy for my parents and nieces/nephews. Stumped on my parents.

I have so many people to buy for, but I don't start shopping until the last birthday which is in the second week of November. I will start buying for my kids though, I know what the oldest wants and needs, but my soon to be 2 year old will be difficult. He really doesn't need any more toys or clothes, but he needs to unwrap things...so I a man stomped on him.

I have so many people to buy for, but I don't start shopping until the last birthday which is in the second week of November. I will start buying for my kids though, I know what the oldest wants and needs, but my soon to be 2 year old will be difficult. He really doesn't need any more toys or clothes, but he needs to unwrap things...so I a man stomped on him.

I don't know where you live, but if you have children's museum, maybe a year membership for him? Or a zoo/aquarium? Usually it's family thing, but he could unwrap it. Books? Diapers?

I don't know where you live, but if you have children's museum, maybe a year membership for him? Or a zoo/aquarium? Usually it's family thing, but he could unwrap it. Books? Diapers?
We live 20 minutes outside of L.A, I really do like the zoo ideas and books! He can never have to many books thank you.

This thread had me looking at what my oldest has requested. He wants wireless headphones. His brother keeps pulling on the wire on the ones he currently has. He isn't really knowledgeable on brands yet, but I was looking at some beats solo3 Best Buy has them for 299$ regular and on sale for 179$ now..would this be a good deal? I'm a 10$ headphone type of gal, so I'm clueless too or should I just wait for online sales on Black Friday. I'm not big on shopping on Thanksgiving days...especially now that doors open when my family are barely sitting for dinner.

I am usually done or almost done by now but I've been behind. I've been behind last year and again this year since moving across country and settling into this house. We've been remodeling bathrooms, on the third one right now and have a looooong list of projects we'd still like to do. So as far as gifts between my husband and myself, that isn't happening. Maybe something small under the tree just to open something. We also don't buy for as many as we used to. It was really get out of hand. Daughter is 12 and she is pretty easy to buy. I'd like to have other family members done by Thanksgiving because since we've moved back to the East Coast (and closer to family), we'll be having our first Thanksgiving with family in 16 years so I'd like to have their presents done and delivered. Happy shopping everyone!

I usually pick things up when I see something and will be done before thanksgiving. Not a fan of shopping after that.

This is what I do too. It's normal for me to buy stuff on clearance after Xmas and save it for the following year. I only buy for my mom and the dogs now, no one else is left and being an only child/not married/no kids it makes it easy. I wish I could talk my mom into stopping the presents and just doing something with the money instead, like going somewhere or something, but any time I mention wanting to go somewhere she doesn't seem that interested. I got her a passport last year with hopes of us at least going to Canada, we live near Seattle, but that hasn't happened. She's seeing a guy and that seems to be the priority over other stuff. Just the two of us and the dogs opening gifts is a bit sad and depressing though.

We live 20 minutes outside of L.A, I really do like the zoo ideas and books! He can never have to many books thank you.

This thread had me looking at what my oldest has requested. He wants wireless headphones. His brother keeps pulling on the wire on the ones he currently has. He isn't really knowledgeable on brands yet, but I was looking at some beats solo3 Best Buy has them for 299$ regular and on sale for 179$ now..would this be a good deal? I'm a 10$ headphone type of gal, so I'm clueless too or should I just wait for online sales on Black Friday. I'm not big on shopping on Thanksgiving days...especially now that doors open when my family are barely sitting for dinner.

Beats are commonly on big sales around Thanksgiving. It's always a guess though. We bought some for $100 at Target last year on their pre-black Friday sale.

Beats are commonly on big sales around Thanksgiving. It's always a guess though. We bought some for $100 at Target last year on their pre-black Friday sale.

Did you get the wireless ones for $100? My ds has been asking for those for years but I havent gotten them since he usually has other big ticket items on his list too and I've gotten those. Was thinking this year might be the year for them and if I can get them for $100 that would be great.

I bought my first gifts this weekend. I got my ds a basketball that keeps track of his shots with an app. Found it on Amazon warehouse deals for half of what it cost in stores.
I also got dh an Amazon echo for the garage. He took my dot in there and has been using that. QVC had it with with 2 free months of amazon unlimited plus some audio books for $75.

I think we are going to upgrade our basketball hoop as a gift for my 2 ds's.
Not sure what else for my older ds or my dd yet.
Dont have too many other people to buy for so I have plenty of time to figure out my list for them.

If everything works out- Disney silver annual passes for the 4 of us. gifts cards for 2 DD- I tunes, starbucks, bath and body works, disney and Ulta (25 each buying one each payday from now until Christmas.

Need a few fun things for the girls- Hubby and I don't do big for Christmas. The girls are teens and they are harder to buy for

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts