Christmas 2017

My soon to be 11 year old dd wants a fit bit for Christmas. Several of the girls at school have them so it's becoming the "in" thing. I didn't know they made those for wrists this size.

This is one of my favorite threads every year. This is what I have got so far.

DS1

DS2

DS3
Lego Superheroes
Pre-ordered the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid

DD
Baby-sitters club book set 1-4 plus just got 5 as well
Curling iron

Mom
Vera Bradley throw blanket
BBW lotion, candle, hand soap set

MIL
BBW lotion, candle, hand soap set

Aunt
BB@ lotion, candle, hand soap set

My soon to be 11 year old dd wants a fit bit for Christmas. Several of the girls at school have them so it's becoming the "in" thing. I didn't know they made those for wrists this size.
A lot of the 5th graders were wearing them last year in DS's 5th grade class. They seemed to have gone away now that they are in middle school this year.

I always try to keep it simple but there is quite a few people to buy for. We draw names with my siblings and their spouses which helps.. there are a lot of us. But after inlaws and my parents, and the kids and nephews etc I always have a big list. It's time to get started now so it doesn't overwhelm me later.

Ideally I like to be done by December 1st every year so that we aren't so rushed. It gets so busy with events and activities around the holidays that it's nice to be able to enjoy it without shopping looming over my head.

The big gift this year for Dh and ds13 is a new gaming computer. Dh is having it built already so it's only a surprise for ds. That's really the only thing I know for certain that we are buying and it's a huge chunk of the budget.

Dh and I take at least one day off together each year so we can shop without kids..I really look forward to it. That is in November and will be when we get most of our shopping done.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas....

This year we are doing something different, we will be celebrating Christmas on Dec. 22... why you ask... older DD and her little family will be spending the holiday with his parents in south FL. So we decided that we will celebrate before they head down there.... We are going to have a super magical day and night... YEP we are going to the last night of MVMCP, already have our tickets bought. My parents are even going so it will be really a fun night.

Everyone will come over early around 10am and be together... I am trying to figure out what I want to do as far as food....

We are going the stocking route this year, except for my sweet little grandson he will get a ton of stuff. We decided to go the stocking route as the tickets were pricey for everyone.

So here my plans for the stockings. Each person will get a stocking, plus each couple with get a stocking together.

What my list looks like right now.

DH
GC - Bass pro shop, The firing range, a new floating key chain for our boat key, and a water proof case for his phone again for the boat

Oldest Daughter family
DD (1) - GC - Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, target, ulta, and Disney, favorite candy, hair clips, pens, chap stick, socks

DGS almost 3 - toys and clothes

DSIL - GC - Dunkin Donuts, Panda express, amazon, Disney, favorite candy, pens, socks

DD and SIL - together gift 100.00 gift card for Publix

Our younger daughter and her family live out of state and live in the middle of the woods which is out past the middle of nowhere and just had a new baby who is 8 weeks early and is the NICU and we have already given them their Christmas in the form of cash to help with the bills and groceries. I will more than like send a wal-mart care package to them, with the necessity, toilet tissue, paper towels, pantry items, diapers, wipes and dog food. It is so hard for them to get to the store so this works out so much better than a GC's for them.

DD (2) - a new jacket and gloves, socks, undergarments, hair clips

DGS 2 years - clothing and toys

DGS - 4 months - clothing and toys

DSIL - Long sleeve t-shirts, and a hoodie/jacket, gloves, socks

My Parents

Mom - Kohls, Cracker Barrel, Disney- makeup brushes, and a wet brush she loves mine.

Dad - Home Depot, Panera, Disney - a new wallet

Mom and Dad together - 100.00 dollar Publix gift card

Some of the stuff I already picked up. So I am heading in the right direction.

Just saw this, thought of you guys that still have little ones that want the top toys for Christmas. Looks like TRU may be having issues this holiday season.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-bankruptcy-before-holidays-report/674891001/

My oldest ds told me he wants a new phone so I'm pretty sure that will be his big Christmas gift.
I think dh and I are going to skip gifts for ourselves this year, we have alot of expenses coming up in 2018 so we'll save for those.
I'll just do a stocking for him.
My dd is transferring to an out of area school next year and her laptop is having issues so we may get her a new one for Christmas. She could get away with keeping it at home since there are other computers she has access too if needed but won't have anything when she's gone.
I still don't have any great ideas for my youngest. He usually wants some expensive sneaker but he's kind of moved away from that now that he has started HS.

My oldest 2 are out of toys and my younger 2 don't love them...that said, they are gamers and they have had to use a 20 year old non flat-screen non-HD tv for their Wii U...so we are planning a "group" kid gift that upgrades the tv (and entertainment center, b/c the new tv probably won't fit) for them to play their games.

We are still deciding if we will go further with the group gift and get the Switch (one is dying for that). It probably depends if any kid has a "big" gift they want this year. My oldest needs a new computer, but she has a birthday...and they all already have new tablets and existing 3ds...so, they might convince me, especially if the tv is cheap enough (b/c my 1st answer was "that can wait til next Christmas"...) and if one set of grandparents again sends a check for $400 and tells me to buy gifts for each kid b/c that would make my job very easy.

And then they'll probably each get a few games of all types (video, computer, book RPG, tabletop, CCG, etc), a few books/DVDs, and the younger 2 a few toys and the older 2 a few aromatherapy and makeup oriented gifts. And I'll be done, save 10 nieces and nephews who will get gifts between $15-$20, my spouse, and our parents (who want less and less each year)...

For a budget, I'm planning $800-$1000 for my kids ($200-$250 each), $200 for the nieces and nephews, $200 for the 2 sets of parents, and then $200 for my spouse (who will probably also spend $200 on me) for a total of $1600-$1800, which is totally enough.

Just saw this, thought of you guys that still have little ones that want the top toys for Christmas. Looks like TRU may be having issues this holiday season.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-bankruptcy-before-holidays-report/674891001/

My oldest ds told me he wants a new phone so I'm pretty sure that will be his big Christmas gift.
I think dh and I are going to skip gifts for ourselves this year, we have alot of expenses coming up in 2018 so we'll save for those.
I'll just do a stocking for him.
My dd is transferring to an out of area school next year and her laptop is having issues so we may get her a new one for Christmas. She could get away with keeping it at home since there are other computers she has access too if needed but won't have anything when she's gone.
I still don't have any great ideas for my youngest. He usually wants some expensive sneaker but he's kind of moved away from that now that he has started HS.

I'm editing because I just remembered that I did already get dh a present, and Amazon Echo. I guess I could take it out of the box and just put it in his stocking.
This is what happens when I shop too early I forget things....time to download the gift tracking app

oops, meant to edit not quote

hope the phone he want's isn't that iphone that is 1000 bucks..i cringe at that number. Lucky my son said no way he'd ever want that.

hope the phone he want's isn't that iphone that is 1000 bucks..i cringe at that number. Lucky my son said no way he'd ever want that.

No way! He has a 5s now, we'll probably upgrade him to the 6s. He probably wouldn't even mind the SE which is what my ds and I have.

In re: to the Switch, both my kids asked for one. Is this something they can share as a joint gift? I am so clueless to gaming systems. It is the only big ticket item that they both asked for (well, one asked for a drone and I said no).
Thanks!

My oldest 2 are out of toys and my younger 2 don't love them...that said, they are gamers and they have had to use a 20 year old non flat-screen non-HD tv for their Wii U...so we are planning a "group" kid gift that upgrades the tv (and entertainment center, b/c the new tv probably won't fit) for them to play their games.

We are still deciding if we will go further with the group gift and get the Switch (one is dying for that). It probably depends if any kid has a "big" gift they want this year. My oldest needs a new computer, but she has a birthday...and they all already have new tablets and existing 3ds...so, they might convince me, especially if the tv is cheap enough (b/c my 1st answer was "that can wait til next Christmas"...) and if one set of grandparents again sends a check for $400 and tells me to buy gifts for each kid b/c that would make my job very easy.

And then they'll probably each get a few games of all types (video, computer, book RPG, tabletop, CCG, etc), a few books/DVDs, and the younger 2 a few toys and the older 2 a few aromatherapy and makeup oriented gifts. And I'll be done, save 10 nieces and nephews who will get gifts between $15-$20, my spouse, and our parents (who want less and less each year)...

For a budget, I'm planning $800-$1000 for my kids ($200-$250 each), $200 for the nieces and nephews, $200 for the 2 sets of parents, and then $200 for my spouse (who will probably also spend $200 on me) for a total of $1600-$1800, which is totally enough.

In re: to the Switch, both my kids asked for one. Is this something they can share as a joint gift? I am so clueless to gaming systems. It is the only big ticket item that they both asked for (well, one asked for a drone and I said no).
Thanks!

It's less multi-player friendly than the Wii/Wii U, but more than the 3ds (I think)...I'm pretty sure there are some games that can be played locally as 2 player, although not as many as there probably should be...and my kids will play 1 at a time on the single player and share just to get some of the new Nintendo games...I wish there were more games out to see how this will ultimately be for 2 or more players (lots of options or just a few games w/o 2 systems), but it's still new (that's usaully why I like to wait at least a year for a new system...but:))...

Thanks!
I'm getting it as a joint gift for my kids. I considered two but then someone pointed out I'd have to buy two of some games for them to play together that way.

We have a switch and I definitely think it's a joint gift. They have to take turns using it though and it's causing a lot of arguments around here. We have to set a timer to make sure no one feels they are getting less time. I honestly hate gaming systems.

I have stopped shopping early for 2 reasons. #1 If I shop early, I keep seeing things I want to buy,and once Christmas is here, I've bought waaaay too much. #2 My kids are always changing their minds on what they like! Today it may be my little ponies,next week barbies! Hope all you early shoppers have fun! I used to think I saved money doing that. I was wrong. :)

Same here. I only buy for DH, my two adult children, DD's boyfriend, my mom, and a couple of small gifts for coworkers. We normally do a Dirty Santa swap when we get the extended family together but that may not happen this year. As my siblings and my kids are starting their own careers and families, it's getting difficult to work out travel and times for a big get together.

It seems to me that early shopping has a couple of issues. First, I don't really know what anyone wants so I'm potentially buying unwanted gifts. Second, I could end up buying more and therefore spending more. I especially don't shop the after Christmas sales except for decorations I'm wanting to replace and wrapping paper. Most of the other sales are stuff that wasn't wanted that holiday so why would anyone want it next year. I won't buy just because it was cheap. There are plenty of sales from Thanksgiving on that get me the deals that I want.

I'm just now starting to gather ideas. DD21 wants an Apple watch, DD32- no idea, DH gave me a girl's trip to Disney for a combo birthday and xmas gift, I gave him a combo gift of a new car stereo system with back up camera etc... We'll just do stockings for each other.

I love this thread every year for all the terrific ideas. I am unsure how many people we will buy for. I keep trying to cull the list and would really like it to just be the 4 of us.

I have only bought a few items so far-pj's for DH and 2 DS's that they all love(super soft like lounge wear).

I have a few ideas but only my DS19 has an idea of what he wants-an Xbox X, good earbuds,and rechargeable batteries. He is usually my toughest to buy for so I am happy he knows what he wants, however the xbox x preorder is sold out everywhere so he still may be the hardest.

Dh fell off a boat into the water with his smart watch on so I may look for a new one for him. That would be something for black friday. A new small high power flashlight as well.

Thinking of getting DS21 a good dashcam for his car. Now that he works Ft he buys whatever he wants with his own money.

I will buy my own gifts r tell them what I want otherwise DH does the last minute, expensive something or other. He is generous but not a good shopper. And I have no idea what I would like.

I'll be watching the thread for ideas!

Oh wow, what are your favorites? We are going in December and though we have been there before, we kinda get lost in all the choice. We would like to go to Be Our Guest, but that's all we have so far.

Favorite places to eat at Disney? I really love Be Our Guest, Crystal Palace, San Angel Inn in Epcot, and Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom. if you want Be Our Guest and you're going as soon as December, I'd recommend looking into getting reservations now no matter what meal you want to go for. It will probably take awhile but if you check back every day and are patient you'll probably get lucky eventually- especially the closer you get to your trip. Honestly, it's a good idea to book a reservation for any sit down place at Disney, especially in December- I'd check out the Disney Restaurant boards for more info!

Anyways, a couple of you guys had mentioned what you want for the holidays this year, which reminded me... I have no clue what I want this year! I think I'm going to ask DH for some cute Disney earrings I saw on Etsy in my stocking and other than that just a Disney Gift Card for our cruise next September. From my mom, I think maybe a Disney gift card as well. I'd really like a Disney Dooney bag or something nice when we go on our cruise that I wouldn't normally buy myself. We'll see!

Favorite places to eat at Disney? I really love Be Our Guest, Crystal Palace, San Angel Inn in Epcot, and Yak and Yeti at Animal Kingdom. if you want Be Our Guest and you're going as soon as December, I'd recommend looking into getting reservations now no matter what meal you want to go for. It will probably take awhile but if you check back every day and are patient you'll probably get lucky eventually- especially the closer you get to your trip. Honestly, it's a good idea to book a reservation for any sit down place at Disney, especially in December- I'd check out the Disney Restaurant boards for more info!

Anyways, a couple of you guys had mentioned what you want for the holidays this year, which reminded me... I have no clue what I want this year! I think I'm going to ask DH for some cute Disney earrings I saw on Etsy in my stocking and other than that just a Disney Gift Card for our cruise next September. From my mom, I think maybe a Disney gift card as well. I'd really like a Disney Dooney bag or something nice when we go on our cruise that I wouldn't normally buy myself. We'll see!
Excellent! We do have Crystal Palace booked now and Garden Grill, but I am going to look in to Yak and Yeti too. LOVE Animal Kingdom! We have tried Boma, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!