Christmas 2017

I had a slow day at work today, and I had to work from home because of some work being done at the office, so between meetings I wrapped DD17s gifts! Early, I know, but it's hard to get time alone in the house - either we are both in, or we are both out. So I figured I'd take advantage of the fact that I had the house to myself all day. Looking at the wrapped pile also helps me realize I've bought plenty already, the tree will be more than filled!

All my other gifts are for folks that we are travelling to see - wrapping those will have to wait until we get there. I usually just use gift bags for those gifts - fast to use and easy to travel with!

I need stocking stuffer ideas for adults that are super budget friendly because I need a lot. Any ideas? Other than scratch off lotto tickets?

Redbox does gift cards and I think you can get a discount if you purchase them through groupon?

I need stocking stuffer ideas for adults that are super budget friendly because I need a lot. Any ideas? Other than scratch off lotto tickets?

I actually just thought of another, it's one of the things i like to do. You can do a "date night" stocking. Put in a DVD, or a redbox giftcard like @tjcrabb mentioned, some movie candy, some popcorn, and bam your done. This also works as a gift and not just a stocking stuffer. If doing it as a gift i'd put it in a cute little basket with a comfy throw blanket. Dollar store or Michael's has some cute ones. Sometimes even Ross or Marshall's.

If it's a $5 limit...
Red Box Free Movie Promo Code or $5 gift cards
Mini bottles of liquor (depending on audience)
Lottery tickets (as you mentioned)
Starbucks $5 gift cards
Novelty USB sticks
Novelty "useful" keychains (like bottle openers - so needed at so many get togethers:))

Love this thread and look forward to it every year! We buy for our 3 kids, my mom, grandmother, MIL, FIL, 1 niece and 2 nephews. We finally phased out buying for best friend's kids last year, as we just don't get to see them and both of us just started giving those gifts at their birthdays and telling each other to not worry about getting 2 gifts. DH and I aren't big on giving or getting gifts for each other since we usually just buy whatever we want, or agree to a combo gift that benefits us both. If we do anything to wrap, it's capped at $50. This year he wants Destiny 2 for his PS4, so I will probably get him that and maybe some super small filler gift, then fill his stocking.

So far, the only things I have purchased specifically for Christmas was a huge Monster High Delux doll house that was on clearance at Walmart for $23 and a Monster High Styling head for $5. These will go to my DD8. We will get her a few things for her American girl doll, and she's asked for more Barbie/Monster High/Ever After High dolls. She has also requested an Ipod touch, so I'll be looking for a deal for a slightly older/ refurb version and the usual jammies, slippers and books and random accessories. She is soooo girly!

For my youngest DS5, he will more than likely be getting a Nintendo 2DSXL. He has to deal with his sister and brothers hand me down electronics and we have so many games from the other 2 kids. Everything else will be smaller, a few toys (he LOVES the Animal Planet toys at TRU. The bigger, the better) and pj's slipper, books and learning puzzles and games

My oldest DS11 is harder this year. We just got him a cell phone when he started middle school. He's not really into much besides video games. I'll probably get him some cool things from ThinkGeek ... otherwise, I'm looking for more ideas.

For the rest of the family we just wing it. I have gotten my mom bracelets from Alex and Ani the past 2 years. Not sure if she wants me to switch it up, or if she actually likes the tradition. I have also gotten my MIL some Vera Bradley goodies for the past few years. I let the hubby handle his Dad. He usually gets him Ammo and a GC to go shooting. (Texas y'all! :D)

I just bought a few things off the disney store site for Christmas gifts. I'm going to go with the gift basket idea for my sister in law and her fiance, as well as my brother in law and his husband. I think for SIL/F i'm going to do a movie gift basket, and for BIL/H i'm going to do a wine/dinner gift basket.

SIL/F - Just bought: Mickey bamboo bowl (for popcorn). Need to buy: redbox giftcard, popcorn, sparkling apple cider, candies and snacks, possibly a throw blanket.
BIL/H - Just bought: Mickey pants trivet (for kitchen). Need to buy: Wine, maybe wine stopper/accessories, debating pasta/sauce/cheese board. (This one is still a work in progress.)

Since my husband and I don't have kids, we like to buy for one of my best friend's two kids. I just bought a frozen jacket and tumbler for her little girl. Also bought a cars jacket and mickey tumbler for her little boy.

Love these threads!

she's adopted and really wants to do one to just see what it says about her ancestry. I don't think it will reveal anything magical (she's Asian and they are all weak on that aspect)

My DD18 is from China as well and we did this test last year. Turns out she is 20 percent polynesian....which we sort of all suspected as she gets mistaken for hawiaan a fair bit. At any rate, thanks to this test she decided she wants to see er people and we are to hawaii for 2 weeks this summer! :)

For those of you who buy stocking stuffers for adult guys, any ideas? My DH likes grilling, making homemade pizzas, Star Wars, Disney (obviously), and reading and computer games. Any ideas? Probably want to spend maybe $20 on his stocking? I don't know

We are going with the 1. Something to wear, 2. Something to read, 3. something you want, and 4. something you need. Makes it very simple. I have 6 grandkids and they have everything. Parents do not want any more toys.

For those of you who buy stocking stuffers for adult guys, any ideas? My DH likes grilling, making homemade pizzas, Star Wars, Disney (obviously), and reading and computer games. Any ideas? Probably want to spend maybe $20 on his stocking? I don't know

BBQ spice rub, sauce, Pizza seasoning, Star Wars BBQ tongs or spatula, Star Wars or Disney apron.
Does he have a Kindle? You could do a Kindle gift card.
Favorite snacks or candy
Car accessories- mini flashlight, emergency hammer, air freshener, car charger

BBQ spice rub, sauce, Pizza seasoning, Star Wars BBQ tongs or spatula, Star Wars or Disney apron.
Does he have a Kindle? You could do a Kindle gift card.
Favorite snacks or candy
Car accessories- mini flashlight, emergency hammer, air freshener, car charger

Awesome ideas- and yes we have a kindle! I never thought of BBQ rubs- I bet he would love those! Thanks!

hahah this thread is bad news. I had to google "fingerlings." they look cute and I have not seen them around here at all. I may get them for DD and my niece.

I would like to do away with adult gifts completely. On my husbands side we switch names with a monetary limit. My side we still do everyone because my mom won't give it up. DH and I haven't exchanged gifts in 3-4 years I think? That includes birthdays. We just count whatever big item we had to purchase for our life as the gift so we can purchase it at the best price or when we need it during the year and since we built a house last year... I think we are good for a while. That said, per our early marriage tradition, I try to buy us a new movie to watch on Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve Eve :-) I also try to buy a new ornament for the tree that has some significance for an event in the year past.

I know there were a few who were going to tiny babies at christmas. My DD was only 5 days old on christmas but she gave her dad a little pink glass elephant ornament. Now I let her pick out one gift for him also (besides her secret santa shopping if she wants). Those can be hilarious. I spent a pile of time looking for a kazoo one year when she was 3 because she wanted to give him one. I think we ended up going with a back scratcher loofah instead.

For DD, Santa brings three gifts. Her choice. The rest of the gifts and stocking come from us. Having only one makes it easy to over buy though, especially now that I like to play with her toys now too. I keep a storage tub going in my basement for pre purchased gifts. I have actually gotten good deals on small legos in the past and kept them here for an emergency birthday gift too. I have done well this year and in the past checking Hollar every once in a while for quality stocking stuffers. We also liked doing the Tsum Tsum advent calender even though we have a really nice homemade advent calender. I grabbed that last year because we were about to move so I was limiting christmas decor, but we had so much fun with it, I may do it again.

Since she is Dec birthday, things get crazy that month. This year she has asked if she could have her party in the summer with a pool party and wait for b-day gifts until then. Since we have never done a "friends" birthday for her because of Dec and the size of our previous home, right now I think that is what we will do.... getting grandparents on board with that may take some convincing.

For christmas, she needs a sleeping bag, some clothes, maybe cute jammies and a robe (but she may also make a robe for a 4-H project next year so that we may skip), and I have gotten her some Tsum Tsum from Hollar and Walmart over the summer. She may also get a new quilt for her bed. She is intent on buying her own american girl doll (we have a target one now) so probably some cute accessories, maybe some vintage barbie furniture off ebay, Cars diecast, or legos.

My nieces and nephews I always buy a book of some sort, and then try to stay in a $30 budget from there. Last year I got my niece 14 a fingernail painting book and tools. My other niece I got art supplies. The older nieces and nephews may just get ski passes if I can find deals. I like the idea of the app for tracking, I usually just keep a sticky note in the back of my planner. :rotfl2:

I really have no idea what to get anyone on my list this year! We are in an area that was affected by Harvey and I really feel like instead of exchanging gifts with adults we should use that money to donate to flood victims. Christmas will be so hard for them this year. We will see how that works out.

DD is turning 7 in November so this is the time of the year I start thinking about gifts. So far I have a razor scooter, a Lego Friends set, and a Fingerling for her. That will be birthday along with a doll outfit or two and several books. Other things she wants is a horse and a stable for her American Girl dolls, a basketball hoop, a big stuffed Mickey Mouse, and a bean bag chair for her room. I'm sure once all the toy catalogs come out she will add to that list. I don't think Santa will bring the giant stuffed animal but will probably get the rest.

For DH I want to get him the new mini Supernintendo. He wants a new grill but he can pick that out himself. Otherwise...???

Other people we usually exchange with are my mom and stepdad, my MIL, SIL, niece, my uncle, and DH's extended family. For my niece I will get her a gift card and some makeup. She's 13...all she wants is money so she can shop on her own. The others...well that goes back to my original thought. Pretty sure my family will be on board but I am not sure about DH's.

I picked up a Fingerling and a mini backpack/purse today for my 10 year old. She hasn't asked for a Fingerling but they are cute and looked like something she would like so I picked one up at Target. She saw the mini backpack the other day and wanted it. I told her we would put it on her Christmas list.

Last edited:
I talked to my two brothers this year and we all agreed to stop exchanging gifts. It was getting to the point where they were asking for gift cards and giving us the same. What's the point in that? Since there are nine of them, it's a huge time (and money) savings. DH has one brother and we stopped doing gifts in favor of a nice dinner out years ago. Another big savings since it was him, his wife, 5 kids, 4 spouses and 9 grandkids. We just couldn't keep up as his family grew. We will exchange with my sister and mom since it's important to them. Other than that it's just DH, me, DD, DSIL and small gifts for a couple of friends that want to continue exchanging gifts. I also buy for my staff of 4 and this is the last time for that since I'll retire next year. It will be much more manageable this year but the challenge of deciding what to buy is still there. I'll have to start thinking about that!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!