christmas at the world

lovespoohbear

DIS Veteran
hey everybody,
i will be at the world dec 17-24 and can't wait. i have called and booked a room at akl for my cousin and i. i am in a wheelchair. we are going to fly(first time for me). please give hints and tips on anything and everything dealing with disney and flying. thanks

Welcome to disABILITIES. :wave:
If you haven't checked out the disABILITIES FAQs thread yet, that's a good place to start. There are links there to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities (sort of basic, not a lot of detail, but still helpful).
Are there any particular sorts of attractions you are interested in? Are there any things you have specific questions about (a little easier than trying to tell you everything :teeth: )

If you are able to get out of the wheelchair and walk a few steps, you will be able to go on everything.On the other end of the spectrum, if you can't get out of the wheelchair, some attractions have special wheelchair cars that you can stay right in the wheelchair and ride.

i am not able to get out of the wheelchair. i have a permobile. can those fit on the rides and what rides. how bumpy is kiliminjaro(sp) safari? is it like just a dirt road or is it like throw you around bumpy? what do i need to know about flying since its my first time?

If the "permobile" is a power chair and about the same dimensions as a wheelchair it should fit on all the fully accessible rides. Since you have plenty of time, I would suggest going to www.passporter.com and buying and studying their guidebook for disabled at WDW. It is several hundred pages ling.

The safari is like a dirt road, only worse. It is actually concrete with ruts built in to give the feel of travelling on a dirt road but it is permanent. The vehicle used for disabled can hold several wheelchairs. however I do not know if they can strap you (or the chair) down.

As far as flying, the first thing to do is toalk to the airlines Special Services desk; these are the people who work with disabilities and (tend to) have better knowledge than the people at regular reservations. Basically you will be able to take your chair to the end of the boarding ramp. You will then have to transfer to an "aisle chair" which will allow you to be transported to your seat. You will be first on and last off the aircraft. They will bring your chair back to the door of the plane. Find out from the manufacturer if the batteries are "gel" (proably are) and what has to be removed (such as a joy stick) to prevent damage.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it waill take you to the Index. The second item down is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. You might want to read through that before asking further questions/

They do strap you down on the safari.
The week you go will be busy. It will start out slow and just build from there.
But you will have a great time. If you can work it in go to the candlelight processional in EPCOT. and the xmas party in MK. :pug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter