Christmas Ideas needed for College daughter - workout? Electronics ? or? Lulumon?

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
Hi looking for college gift ideas for my 20 year old daughter. She likes working out and I know she has mentioned Lulumon as popular name. She likes work out pants WITH pockets - doesn't have to be lulumon.
Any ideas for duffel for weekend trips? I bought her AWAY luggage last year and we love it - but this needs to be something softshell for weekend home, etc.
THanks!

Away has some softshell duffel bag type pieces, like their weekender. Vera Bradley also has some nice options. Athleta has nice leggings with pockets, or does Old Navy. Does she have an iPhone? You might want to consider getting her an Apple Watch, since she likes working out so much.

Away has some softshell duffel bag type pieces, like their weekender. Vera Bradley also has some nice options. Athleta has nice leggings with pockets, or does Old Navy. Does she have an iPhone? You might want to consider getting her an Apple Watch, since she likes working out so much.

THanks!I have the away duffel pieces myself and love but boy the colors are pretty mundane. I lucked out and got a limited edition pattern several months ago for myself but struggling to find one I like there now. I will check athlete. thanks!

I would not buy $100 leggings for a college student living away from home. For these years, I don’t want my kids to have anything of value. Heck, ds21 had to buy his own winter jacket last year because he lost one freshman and sophomore year. How about experiences like ski lift tickets, theater tickets, spa day? My 5 range from 16 - 23, and that’s what I’m leaning towards.

DD19 is getting:
- Pajamas (tradition)
- Hunter tall rain boots
- New Roku TV
- Columbia fleece jacket
- Jumper cables (she asked for them!)
- Stuff for a "future" apartment. She currently lives at home and goes to the local university but I wanted to get started buying her a little bit of stuff each year for when she graduates and moves out.
- Some cash (what she really wants most LOL)

Athleta should have a good Black Friday sale. I got my DD some leggings there last year. My DD wants airpods and a Sherpa Levis jean jacket.
Check out ebags. They have some nice soft sided bags. Take a look at the Motherlode line.

My DD will graduate Dec. 17th. Over the last couple of years I have been giving her gifts for a future home. She is moving to Seattle for an internship in January and is just about set. (She keeps thanking me for doing that, lol) The only thing she lacks is a vacuum cleaner. Santa will be adding that to her pile this year.

I agree with a PP that if she works out a lot an Apple Watch might be a good idea. If you get the cellular version it will free her up from the phone during workouts. There have been some decent deals on the Series 4.

I was going to recommend a Vera Bradley weekender. My DD has the large one. I have the medium one that has a d-pocket that fits over the handle of my carryon. It was the perfect size to take to London for 10-days without having to check a bag. If you have a VB Outlet near you, you can get these for very reasonable prices.

Hi looking for college gift ideas for my 20 year old daughter. She likes working out and I know she has mentioned Lulumon as popular name. She likes work out pants WITH pockets - doesn't have to be lulumon.
Any ideas for duffel for weekend trips? I bought her AWAY luggage last year and we love it - but this needs to be something softshell for weekend home, etc.
THanks!

My dd has Lulumon travel, workout pants, and travel bag. She loves their casual clothes.

I was going to recommend a Vera Bradley weekender. My DD has the large one. I have the medium one that has a d-pocket that fits over the handle of my carryon. It was the perfect size to take to London for 10-days without having to check a bag. If you have a VB Outlet near you, you can get these for very reasonable prices.

My mom got me a Vera Bradley large duffel when I was in college and that thing is worth it's weight in gold. Perfect as a weekend bag or I can use it as a carry on for flights if needed. Very sturdy and it's held up great.

I also love workout capris and leggings with the side pockets. I got 2 pairs from Amazon (just do a search) for our Europe trip and wore them almost everyday. They've held up great. If you don't want to pay Lulumon prices, check Amazon or even Target or Old Navy for some great options.

I would not buy $100 leggings for a college student living away from home. For these years, I don’t want my kids to have anything of value.
Agree. Between dorms, roommates, public laundry facilities, and moving in /out ... college isn't a great time to splurge on luxury items!
I was going to recommend a Vera Bradley weekender.
I have a weekender (I think) that I love ... but my daughter's Grand Traveler (I'm sure of that name) is even nicer. I'm hoping to get one of my own this Christmas!

Other thoughts:
- Nice school supplies for spring semester -- colorful pens, pretty notebooks
- My roommate used to get a blank check for her spring semester books every year -- I was so jealous of that!
- Portable phone charger
- Does she have a nice rain coat? rain boots?
- Games she can share with friends -- Munchkin, Exploding Kittens
- Nice socks are always a nice small treat
- Small fast food gift cards for places near campus
- Water bottle
- Movie tickets
- Roll of quarters and pack of laundry detergent
- Magazine subscription -- kids may not think they're into paper magazines, but getting mail at school is fun

Last edited:
Last year I got my dd a Vera Bradley weekender and a large duffel bag.
This year she asked for some high end make-up stuff and cash. That is pretty much what she's getting.
Since she's away at school I don't want to overload her with stuff she has to take back and find a place to store.
I'll fill her stocking with things like a funky pens, car coasters, BBW car fresheners, earbuds, charging cord, good spices and reusable straws.

I do love Lululemon, but I think Athleta can have better prices and sales... and they have a much better return policy (you can return something even after you wear it, if you decide that you don’t like it).

My favorite travel duffels are the North Face Base Camp and Patagonia Black Hole. I love that they double as a backpack, which makes it really easy when traveling.

I do love Lululemon, but I think Athleta can have better prices and sales... and they have a much better return policy (you can return something even after you wear it, if you decide that you don’t like it).

My favorite travel duffels are the North Face Base Camp and Patagonia Black Hole. I love that they double as a backpack, which makes it really easy when traveling.

THanks for the tip on the return policy. NEver thought of that. I ordered Lulumon and athlete but I am going to compare fabric and think I will keep atheta based on return policy alone...that is key!

Aerie makes good leggings with pockets that are reasonably priced. A good pair of noise-cancelling earbuds are great for the gym or blocking out your college roommate's snores at night. For the weekender, try Lo & Sons. They make a bag called the Catalina that can slide over the handle bars of an Away suitcase to ride on top when she's traveling with both, or it has a padded strap when used alone. It weighs very little and has a separate bottom compartment that is great for shoes. I got my mom one for Xmas this year after her favorite duffle bag finally gave out.

Aerie makes good leggings with pockets that are reasonably priced. A good pair of noise-cancelling earbuds are great for the gym or blocking out your college roommate's snores at night. For the weekender, try Lo & Sons. They make a bag called the Catalina that can slide over the handle bars of an Away suitcase to ride on top when she's traveling with both, or it has a padded strap when used alone. It weighs very little and has a separate bottom compartment that is great for shoes. I got my mom one for Xmas this year after her favorite duffle bag finally gave out.

THank you!!! the Catalina looks great...do you know what size you got? SMall or large? only 2 inch size diff..Price seems good too75? Is this normal or a BF price do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter