OFFICIAL CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY SEASON & NEW YEAR'S 2017 THREAD

Count us in on visiting the parks during the holiday season. We haven't been during the holiday season for quite sometime so we're really looking forward to it. Our dates aren't set yet. We're either going 12/14-12/17 or right after Christmas and maybe during New Years but not sure yet as my DD doesn't have her school schedule yet.

We (DH, myself and our 5 little ones) are going with my parents and sister. We got a 2 bedroom villa at the grand. We are treating everyone to the lodging with our newly acquired DVC membership. YAY!! We'll be there Nov 26-Dec 1. We love Disneyland during holiday season.

This will be our 40th visit to DLR since 1967, and no, we are not California residents (Las Vegas, NV), but we are about a 4 1/2 hour drive away. We love Christmas at DLR and will be there Dec 6 - 10th, staying off-site at our favorite Hilton. We get good rates and free transportation to the park. It is unfortunate that Disney priced all the rooms at the resorts out of our range, and with the tickets running over $500 for a 3 day single park (for two), I'm still looking at a $1000 or more. But we'll gladly pay it, as the memories are priceless, and we love our time there. And with the new section of track along the Rivers of America, our favorite trains will be a wonderful attraction to experience. As we are Christmas time veterans (going back before DCA opened) I hope to help answer anyone's questions to the best I can. I thank you for taking on the mantel as administrator - there is no way I could do it, but I can participate and assist where possible. For those that haven't followed the first 5 threads, basic information for Christmas is as follows:

Except for Haunted Mansion (they set up the overlay for Halloween around the end of August) Christmas decorations start appearing in window displays and Sleeping Beauty Castle starts getting snow after Halloween and before Veteran's Day. Christmas time in the resort usually runs from the week after Veteran's Day until the week after New Year's Day. Watching/monitoring the Disney Parks Blog is the best way to find the exact dates. The parks are normally fully decorated by Thanksgiving, with the resort hotels being decorated fully by the weekend after Thanksgiving. The Christmas parade and fireworks usually begin on the official start date the weekend after Veteran's day, although whether there will multiple showing of the parade daily is unknown at this time. In the past there were 2 showings, one daytime and one nighttime, but last year that changed, as did the fireworks, due to the extended 60th Anniversary. This year there are many unknowns, from when (or where?) Candlelight will occur to whether garland will cross Main Street. We shall have the be patient. I have no inside information and no contacts inside TDA or park employees, so those of you that do I hope you can keep us informed.

I hope I didn't steal anyone's thunder here...if so, I apologize and just wanted to help.

Christmas time should be Nov 10-Jan 7. (As of about 3 years ago, CHristmas time starts the Friday of Veteran's Day weekend, with the Avenger's run (yes, I know it was renamed. I like Avengers.) While in 2015, the 60th fireworks ran thru CHristmas, in 2016, we had Christmas fireworks back.

Candlelight should be Dec 2-3 (already have my hotel rooms.)

We are normally down for Veteran's Day weekend, Thanksgiving, Candlelight, and 2 weeks at Christmas, this year, we are spending our Christmas trip going to WDW for the first time. <gasp>

We aren't local either, but love it enough to drive the 6 hours each way at least once a month. (After so many trips in Nov/Dec/Jan, we usually take Feb/March off, until we get withdrawals..)

Count us in on visiting the parks during the holiday season. We haven't been during the holiday season for quite sometime so we're really looking forward to it. Our dates aren't set yet. We're either going 12/14-12/17 or right after Christmas and maybe during New Years but not sure yet as my DD doesn't have her school schedule yet.
Welcome:welcome: I will put you down for the 14-17 until you have firm dates.

We (DH, myself and our 5 little ones) are going with my parents and sister. We got a 2 bedroom villa at the grand. We are treating everyone to the lodging with our newly acquired DVC membership. YAY!! We'll be there Nov 26-Dec 1. We love Disneyland during holiday season.
Nice contract! You must be so excited. If I ever win the lotto, my first purchase is DVC at GCV. :cloud9:

This will be our 40th visit to DLR since 1967, and no, we are not California residents (Las Vegas, NV), but we are about a 4 1/2 hour drive away. We love Christmas at DLR and will be there Dec 6 - 10th, staying off-site at our favorite Hilton. We get good rates and free transportation to the park. It is unfortunate that Disney priced all the rooms at the resorts out of our range, and with the tickets running over $500 for a 3 day single park (for two), I'm still looking at a $1000 or more. But we'll gladly pay it, as the memories are priceless, and we love our time there. And with the new section of track along the Rivers of America, our favorite trains will be a wonderful attraction to experience. As we are Christmas time veterans (going back before DCA opened) I hope to help answer anyone's questions to the best I can. I thank you for taking on the mantel as administrator - there is no way I could do it, but I can participate and assist where possible. For those that haven't followed the first 5 threads, basic information for Christmas is as follows:

Except for Haunted Mansion (they set up the overlay for Halloween around the end of August) Christmas decorations start appearing in window displays and Sleeping Beauty Castle starts getting snow after Halloween and before Veteran's Day. Christmas time in the resort usually runs from the week after Veteran's Day until the week after New Year's Day. Watching/monitoring the Disney Parks Blog is the best way to find the exact dates. The parks are normally fully decorated by Thanksgiving, with the resort hotels being decorated fully by the weekend after Thanksgiving. The Christmas parade and fireworks usually begin on the official start date the weekend after Veteran's day, although whether there will multiple showing of the parade daily is unknown at this time. In the past there were 2 showings, one daytime and one nighttime, but last year that changed, as did the fireworks, due to the extended 60th Anniversary. This year there are many unknowns, from when (or where?) Candlelight will occur to whether garland will cross Main Street. We shall have the be patient. I have no inside information and no contacts inside TDA or park employees, so those of you that do I hope you can keep us informed.

I hope I didn't steal anyone's thunder here...if so, I apologize and just wanted to help.
:welcome:Please feel free to post any info you find and I will add it to the top of the page. I have subscribed to the blog and monitor the news but I welcome every detail posted on this thread.
Are you excited about the new line for the train? I have to admit I could ride around the park all day:rolleyes1

Christmas time should be Nov 10-Jan 7. (As of about 3 years ago, CHristmas time starts the Friday of Veteran's Day weekend, with the Avenger's run (yes, I know it was renamed. I like Avengers.) While in 2015, the 60th fireworks ran thru CHristmas, in 2016, we had Christmas fireworks back.

Candlelight should be Dec 2-3 (already have my hotel rooms.)

We are normally down for Veteran's Day weekend, Thanksgiving, Candlelight, and 2 weeks at Christmas, this year, we are spending our Christmas trip going to WDW for the first time. <gasp>

We aren't local either, but love it enough to drive the 6 hours each way at least once a month. (After so many trips in Nov/Dec/Jan, we usually take Feb/March off, until we get withdrawals..)
Will you spend two weeks at WDW? I would love to see the processional but my dates don't work. Can I ask about your preference on which park for New Years eve? I find very little info on NYE on the board.

You drive to DL?

yep! My wife, myself, my mother in law, father in law and 3 daughters all in one van!!! Only way we can go so often. Its only about 23 hours of actual driving time lol. We leave around supper and drive through the night (so the kids sleep) and arrive in Saint George Utah just after lunch (2is). We get a hotel for the night and then we only have about 6 hours left to drive the next day. Find doing it this way we end up very fresh considering. We can drive and do one nights stay each direction for about 5-600 bucks. To fly for 7 of us would be around 3000 or more! Some day we will fly but I've got to take my girls 4 times in the last 5 years and we're going again this Christmas!!! Well worth it to me!!!

Put us down....Nov. 28-Dec. 4th....meeting our family at our favorite DVC EVER! Grand Californian, 2 bedroom villa....will be bringing our soon to be adopted 12 year old daughter, for her first Disneyland trip...can't wait to get her first Mickey ears! She is counting down the days....we love going when the parks are decorated for Christmas. Some of us are coming in from Los Gatos, CA and my side is coming in from Juneau, Alaska! Only 170 days till we are HOME! Thanks for this new board! Hope to see lots of photos and Christmas fun!

yep! My wife, myself, my mother in law, father in law and 3 daughters all in one van!!! Only way we can go so often. Its only about 23 hours of actual driving time lol. We leave around supper and drive through the night (so the kids sleep) and arrive in Saint George Utah just after lunch (2is). We get a hotel for the night and then we only have about 6 hours left to drive the next day. Find doing it this way we end up very fresh considering. We can drive and do one nights stay each direction for about 5-600 bucks. To fly for 7 of us would be around 3000 or more! Some day we will fly but I've got to take my girls 4 times in the last 5 years and we're going again this Christmas!!! Well worth it to me!!!
That would be expensive to fly all of you from Calgary. I would love to drive down one summer,but for now we fly out of Edmonton.

Put us down....Nov. 28-Dec. 4th....meeting our family at our favorite DVC EVER! Grand Californian, 2 bedroom villa....will be bringing our soon to be adopted 12 year old daughter, for her first Disneyland trip...can't wait to get her first Mickey ears! She is counting down the days....we love going when the parks are decorated for Christmas. Some of us are coming in from Los Gatos, CA and my side is coming in from Juneau, Alaska! Only 170 days till we are HOME! Thanks for this new board! Hope to see lots of photos and Christmas fun!
Oh man...everyone gets to stay in a villa but me :sad:. Okay....not really. I got a little teary reading your post. Congratulations on the new addition to your family:lovestruc I cannot even begin to imagine how excited you must be. This will be a trip you will never forget.party:

Will you spend two weeks at WDW? I would love to see the processional but my dates don't work. Can I ask about your preference on which park for New Years eve? I find very little info on NYE on the board.
We are spending 10 days at WDW. Hoping to get a few days at DL prior to going to WDW.

NYE - Disneyland has the best fireworks, DCA has the best bands. Depends on what you are looking for.

Nice contract! You must be so excited. If I ever win the lotto, my first purchase is DVC at GCV. :cloud9:
We are very happy. It is a bummer that they are so much but we knew this is where we want to stay. So any other contract would be pretty worthless to us. We stayed at VGC on our last trip on rented points and now we are so spoiled. The options for hotels with a family of 7 are pretty limited so we were happy to find this option. If I win the lottery, I'd probably buy more points. :rotfl:

Add me to the list! We are staying at the DLH arriving November 29th- December 3rd. In the parks Nov 30-Dec 2nd. This will be my first trip during the holiday season.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter