Close Encounters of the SQUIRREL! Kind. A Farewell to Wishes Solo Trip Mar 2017 - 10/25 New PTR!

Thank you for sharing all of these photos! I definitely love the ones at the Epcot meet and greet with Pluto! The smile on your face is pure joy :)

Great PP photos and photos of the windows on Main Street!

I'm sorry the Pluto interaction was a let down!

That's a nice solo spot you found for the parade. Even if it wasn't the best view, you still got some great pics!

Wow it really was crowded! It's good that you were able to score some additional FPs though!

Directly across the way from the pretzel cart, I spotted a pretty decent spot for the parade. It was between a garbage can and a pole and just big enough for my butt.

We sat by the garbage can right in front of that pretzel cart in December!! We literally walked down the street as the parade music started and I couldn't believe there was a spot there big enough for the three of us. I even had time to buy a Mickey pretzel and water :)

The sign is turned a bit sideways but this was where a CM was holding up a sign for the start of the line to Haunted Mansion.

I noticed a lot of this on our trip, too! I don't remember seeing that before. I felt really bad for the girl holding the Frozen Ever After sign--she was in the next country!!

I was happy to see that the screens at the end of the ride were actually working this time. The didn't work for Mom and I in November.

I can't wait to see them working in December! Fingers crossed anyway!

Thank you for sharing all of these photos! I definitely love the ones at the Epcot meet and greet with Pluto! The smile on your face is pure joy :)

You are welcome! I love taking pictures and it's nice to have a place to share them with other Disney lovers. And yes, I do get a little excited when I meet Pluto.

Great PP photos and photos of the windows on Main Street!

I'm sorry the Pluto interaction was a let down!

That's a nice solo spot you found for the parade. Even if it wasn't the best view, you still got some great pics!

Wow it really was crowded! It's good that you were able to score some additional FPs though!

Thanks, I was bummed about Pluto but I had three other awesome interactions so I can't complain too much.

I probably couldn't have gotten more wide shots but it was nice to zoom in a bit and get some close ups. My biggest concern at that moment was shade and most spots right at the rope were in the sun.

It was definitely crowded but I had no trouble getting additional FPs this trip. It may have been because I was solo.

We sat by the garbage can right in front of that pretzel cart in December!! We literally walked down the street as the parade music started and I couldn't believe there was a spot there big enough for the three of us. I even had time to buy a Mickey pretzel and water :)

I noticed a lot of this on our trip, too! I don't remember seeing that before. I felt really bad for the girl holding the Frozen Ever After sign--she was in the next country!!

I can't wait to see them working in December! Fingers crossed anyway!

I might have stayed on the other side by that cart but I was looking for shade! It had gotten pretty warm that afternoon and I wanted out of the sun for a while.

I've seen those signs a few times before but definitely not as much as this trip.

I hope they are working too, I think Jim will get a kick out of seeing his name when I drag him on IASW.

Wishes Dessert Party and Viewing #2 Part 1

I was kind of surprised when they started letting us into the dessert party area at 7:15. The party wasn’t supposed to start until 7:45 but I wasn’t about to complain. I was lead to the top area by the Tomorrowland Terrace order lines because I was doing the Plaza Garden View version of the dessert party.

There were only a handful of people there when I sat down so I used that to my advantage and snapped pictures of most of the dessert and drink options.

There was a table with glasses of sparkling apple cider near the entrance. Each guest was handed one as they entered the party.

There was also an ice cream stand with vanilla ice cream and toppings. The ice cream was being scooped out by a CM and I felt a little weird taking her picture so I didn’t get one of that area.

I filled up my plates and sat down to dig in. One thing I love about this party is milk!

I’m afraid this is where the bottomless pit eating came back to haunt me and my stomach started bothering me a bit. All of the weird stuff I had eaten the last two days was not settling well at all. I ate everything on my plate except for the yellowish one with the chips on top but I didn’t go back for seconds except for another glass of milk.

I love the Mickey Oreo bon bons and if I had been feeling better I probably would have gotten more of those. Funny aside here, I sent the picture of the desserts to my Mom and she thought the Oreo Bon Bons had mustaches on the top. I sent her this second picture so show her that they were really Mickey ears.

The cupcake was really good too. There were no labels on the items on the buffet so I’m not sure what the yellowish item was. It had a weird taste that I could not place and I just didn’t like it.

I sat at my table for a long time slowly eating what was on my plate. The tables filled up some but there were still a lot of empty space. I was hoping my stomach would settle a bit so I could get seconds but it never did.

Eventually, I headed down to the fenced in viewing area. This is what it looked like when I first got there.

It did fill up a bit more towards Wishes time but it was never crowded.

I will say that this is probably not the ideal place for a serious photographer as there was no view without a light post or some other pole. I managed to find a spot where the light pole blended in with the castle. I don’t think it’s too noticeable on my photos.

And then it was time for Wishes #2

One of the better Tinkerbell shots I have gotten. At least you can sort of tell it’s her.

Continued in Next Post

Wishes Dessert Party and Viewing #2 Part 2

I will say that I absolutely loved the Garden View Dessert party. The desserts were yummy and there was a really nice variety even for a picky eater like me. And the viewing area was so nice. I loved having a lot of space and not being jostled by the crowd. I really, really want to do this one again next January but Jim is not a huge fan of the dessert parties. He did like the Star Wars one and I may see if he wants to do that one again since the show is different now. I don’t think he will want to do two dessert parties so I’m really torn.

As soon as Wishes was over, I exited the special viewing area quickly and started to fight my way towards Tomorrowland to use my Buzz FP.

Up Next: Once Upon A Time and Finishing Out the Night

I'm sorry to hear about your stomach :( The desserts all looked so good!

Great Wishes pics! Even though the lamp posts are annoying, the viewing is so great and nice not being cramped with other people!

I was doing the Plaza Garden View version of the dessert party.
We are toying with maybe doing this dessert party on our trip. Have you done the terrace seating version before? I'm not sure which one I would prefer, but I do like the plaza garden area. No alcoholic specialty drinks at this party like the Christmas ones we've done in the past??

I guess bad pictures are better than none but I want all of mine to be perfect. LOL.
:rotfl:

Once again the transition from AK to MK on the Express Bus took right around 20 minutes.
I am SO excited for this service - what a difference it must make! :thumbsup2

MK_MSGAZETT_20170318_399230633539_zpstoupfq2v.jpeg
LOVE this picture! :goodvibes

Why does Lumiere look like he is screaming to get out of the window in this next one?
He really does! :laughing:

I hate to say it but this Pluto was a bit of a dud. He didn’t even notice my bag or Pluto shirt.
Sorry to hear that! Must be he needed a doggie nap... :confused3

Tiki Room was the best way in that area to fill the time.
Yay! I haven't done this attraction in a couple trips but need to fix that in August :thumbsup2

I keep trying for this next artsy photo of the boats through the cannon hole.
This is a cool shot! (no pun intended!) :rotfl:

Directly across the way from the pretzel cart, I spotted a pretty decent spot for the parade. It was between a garbage can and a pole and just big enough for my butt.
This description had me laughing out loud! :laughing:

And then the grand marshal and family of the day came by. I always take a picture just in case it ever turns out to be someone from the DIS.
Yes! And how lucky for those people selected!

Pluto never looked my way.
Bad Pluto luck at MK that day, huh? :sad2:

Instead I headed to Columbia Harbor House. I guess I was really early for dinner as there wasn’t much of a line and I found a whole room for myself upstairs.
I love this room! Although I think I've only been there myself once.

But I figured being by myself I could do some fancy dipping and dodging and make it on time.
Yes! One of the advantages of solo-trippin :thumbsup2

I’m afraid this is where the bottomless pit eating came back to haunt me and my stomach started bothering me a bit.
Uh oh. Sorry to hear that, having an upset stomach at a dessert party is the last thing you want!

I love the Mickey Oreo bon bons
YUM! Looks delicious.

It did fill up a bit more towards Wishes time but it was never crowded.
What a beautiful spot!

I will say that I absolutely loved the Garden View Dessert party.
It looked really nice :goodvibes

That sucks your stomach wasn't cooperating. Glad you enjoyed the dessert party though!

I've only done the Star Wars one and really enjoyed that one so maybe I'll have to try the MK one.

I'm sorry to hear about your stomach :( The desserts all looked so good!

Great Wishes pics! Even though the lamp posts are annoying, the viewing is so great and nice not being cramped with other people!

Thanks, I almost always have some issues during a trip so I'm used to dealing with it.

I was so pleased with that view!

We are toying with maybe doing this dessert party on our trip. Have you done the terrace seating version before? I'm not sure which one I would prefer, but I do like the plaza garden area. No alcoholic specialty drinks at this party like the Christmas ones we've done in the past??

I've done both versions however the time I did the Terrace Seating was the old version of the party. I wasn't happy with the changes they made. I'm not sure if it's still this way but they were not letting people go up to the rail to watch. If you are at a back table, the roof blocks the view a bit so you have to make sure and get there super early to get a table near the front. Plus you are pretty far off to the side so the view is not the greatest from there. Here's a picture from when I did that version of the party back in December 2014. This was taken from the rail, not my table.

I would always pick the Garden Plaza view now just for the viewing area. The desserts are the same at both versions and it doesn't matter where your table is since you move to the viewing area. Oh and no alcoholic drinks at all since it's at MK. The sparkling cider is non-alcoholic along with all the other drinks in the picture I posted.

Do you know what night you might do it? It could be a way for me to convince Jim to come if I said we were meeting friends there. Of course you may be wanting it as a romantic night and may not want tag alongs.
:rotfl2:

:rotfl:

I am SO excited for this service - what a difference it must make! :thumbsup2
LOVE this picture! :goodvibes
He really does! :laughing:
Sorry to hear that! Must be he needed a doggie nap... :confused3
Yay! I haven't done this attraction in a couple trips but need to fix that in August :thumbsup2
This is a cool shot! (no pun intended!) :rotfl:
This description had me laughing out loud! :laughing:
Yes! And how lucky for those people selected!
Bad Pluto luck at MK that day, huh? :sad2:
I love this room! Although I think I've only been there myself once.
Yes! One of the advantages of solo-trippin :thumbsup2
Uh oh. Sorry to hear that, having an upset stomach at a dessert party is the last thing you want!
YUM! Looks delicious.
What a beautiful spot!
It looked really nice :goodvibes

The Express Bus is the best ever if you want to park hop a lot! I will always use it now on solo trips so I hope it sticks around.

I don't know what that MK Pluto's problem was but a nap might have helped!

I've tried a couple of times to get that shot with the canon. The line was moving too fast this last time and I didn't have time to adjust the camera.

I always try to get a seat in that upstairs room at CHH so I can look out on FL or Liberty Square. It's usually hard to find a table in there so I was shocked to see it completely empty this time.

I really want to do that dessert party every trip now!

That sucks your stomach wasn't cooperating. Glad you enjoyed the dessert party though!

I've only done the Star Wars one and really enjoyed that one so maybe I'll have to try the MK one.

It was definitely one of the better dessert parties I've been too at WDW. I know a lot of people don't like it because there is no alcohol but I'm not a huge drinker so it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:
Once Upon A Time and Finishing Out the Night Part 1

When we left off, I was dipping and dodging my way towards Buzz to use my 5th FP. I made it with no problem and while I waited in the short line I made a 6th FP for the Jungle Cruise at 9:55 pm.

Not my best score.

After Buzz, I headed straight back to the Hub to find a place for Once Upon A Time. I had originally planned on staying put in the Plaza Garden after Wishes but the Buzz FP had put a stop to that one. Instead I found a place behind the Partners statue. You will see it in some of the pictures. I took close to 70 photos during the show but I’ll just share the best.

The new show is basically Mrs. Potts telling bed time stories to Chip. Hence all the books in the next photo.

Continued in Next Post

Once Upon A Time and Finishing Out the Night Part 2

So what did I think about the new show? The projections themselves were absolutely stunning, so much clearer and sharper than Celebrate the Magic. But honestly I did not get the same emotional punch from OUAT that I used to get from CTM. It was a pretty show but towards the end I started to get a little bored and was ready to move on. I really wanted to love OUAT because CTM was a favorite but unfortunately this show is not going to be a must do for me. I may catch it if I’m in the right place at the right time but I won’t go out of my way to see it again.

I let the crowd thin out a bit after the show and then made my way towards the Jungle Cruise. No idea why I took this next picture along the way.

I used my FP for the Jungle Cruise although I really didn’t need it. It was a walk on and there wasn’t even a CM at the second scanning point so I just merged in with the regular line on my own. I had just enough time before loading onto a boat to make a 7th FP for Winnie the Pooh.

I didn’t take any pictures on the Jungle Cruise as it was too dark but we had an awesome skipper who kept us laughing the whole time. When we passed the camp with the overturned jeep, she said she had called “Triple Ape” to fix the jeep. That was one I hadn’t heard before.

I made my way towards Fantasyland next to use the 7th FP but was sidetracked by the Haunted Mansion which had no line.

I ran into the same exact problem at WTP with my FP. There was no CM to let us into the regular line. There were two guys in front of me and we just waited for a gap in the line and merged in on our own.

When I exited WTP, the park was officially closed so I made my way towards the front. I stopped in the art store to pick up the 2017 WDW Mickey Vinylmation. I had purchased the DL version when I was out there in February so I decided to get the WDW one to match. I know I took a picture of it but I can’t find it right now. I also can’t find a picture of my pin trades for the day but I do have my Fitbit stats to share.

There was a bit of a line for the bus and I ended up standing on the way back to the resort. I made it back to my room and turned off the lights around 12:30 am.

Up Next: Four Parks, Four Plutos Done!

You got some great photos of the projections during Once Upon A Time! I'm sorry you didn't connect with it like CTM though.

You really did so great with getting extra FPs! Sounds like a great evening!

Great pictures of once upon a time! I really like that projection show.

Looks like you really had a great night!

I didn’t take any pictures on the Jungle Cruise as it was too dark but we had an awesome skipper who kept us laughing the whole time.
The JC skipper can make or break this ride for me. I absolutely adore it IF the skipper is good! Sounds like you lucked out!

When we passed the camp with the overturned jeep, she said she had called “Triple Ape” to fix the jeep.
I haven't heard that one either! :laughing:

Up Next: Four Parks, Four Plutos Done!
I'm excited!!!

You were the master of the extra FPs!!! way to go :)

Do you know what night you might do it? It could be a way for me to convince Jim to come if I said we were meeting friends there. Of course you may be wanting it as a romantic night and may not want tag alongs. :rotfl2:

Haha!! We are SO not the romantic type, so that really cracked me up!! I think we've decided to do the Highway in the Sky thing like I told you about the other day instead of the dessert party. I'm pretty picky, too, but I figure I can make up for it with the drinks. LOL

I think this is the first TR that I have read every word and didn't skim anything! I am loving it!

You got some great photos of the projections during Once Upon A Time! I'm sorry you didn't connect with it like CTM though.

You really did so great with getting extra FPs! Sounds like a great evening!

I think the problem was the lack of classic characters and Walt. Those were the scenes that got me on CTM.

I did even better the next day with the FPs!

Great pictures of once upon a time! I really like that projection show.

Looks like you really had a great night!

I don't know why I didn't connect with OUAT but I think it was the lack of Walt/classic characters and maybe too much Frozen? I love Frozen but I'm kind of over it now since it's everywhere in the parks.

The JC skipper can make or break this ride for me. I absolutely adore it IF the skipper is good! Sounds like you lucked out!

I haven't heard that one either! :laughing:

I'm excited!!!

Yep I've had both great and terrible skippers and it definitely makes a difference. The first time I took Jim on it, we had a horrible skipper and he just didn't get the ride at all.

You were the master of the extra FPs!!! way to go :)

Haha!! We are SO not the romantic type, so that really cracked me up!! I think we've decided to do the Highway in the Sky thing like I told you about the other day instead of the dessert party. I'm pretty picky, too, but I figure I can make up for it with the drinks. LOL

Wait till you see what I did the next day FP wise, it was even better.

And this coming from the one who renewed her vows at Disney. :rotfl:Jim and I are definitely not romantic either. He tries sometimes but usually just comes across as cheesy which makes me laugh. I'm almost certain we are going to do the HEA dessert party at MK whether Jim wants to or not. He'll just have to deal with it because it will be my first time seeing the new show and I don't want to fight crowds. Highway in the Sky sounds wonderful and you guys will probably love it. I'm picky and neither one of us are big drinkers so I just can't see it working for us.

I think this is the first TR that I have read every word and didn't skim anything! I am loving it!

Aww, thanks! So glad you are enjoying the TR.

A Quick Outline for January

My next trip is fast approaching and my ADR day is one week from today! So before I continue with the next post I thought I would do a quick outline of the trip as it stands right now. This is the first time I’ve done a race as WDW so planning has been a little different. I’m hoping that those who have done a race can point out anything that I may have missed.

The trip dates are January 2nd – 8th, 2018. I really thought about being there for New Year’s but ran into two problems. One, there was no way that Jim could leave before the 1st. His work runs sales numbers based on quarters so the last week of the year is crazy for him trying to ship out as much as possible to meet the numbers. A lot of years, he works right up till midnight on 12/31. The second problem was the dogs. Alex and Sierra are terrified of fireworks and I just could not imagine leaving them on New Year’s to deal with that by themselves. And we can’t leave on the 1st because the boarding place we use is closed for the holiday. So the 2nd it is.

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018

We will drop the doggies off right at 7 am when the boarding place opens and then head straight to the airport. We don’t have flights yet, I’ve put Jim in charge of that. I already checked Southwest which is my preferred airline but the Orlando bound flights don’t work with our schedule. Plus Jim gets a companion certificate on Delta which means I fly for a discounted rate. Delta has flights pretty much every hour so it won’t be hard to get one that works with our schedule.

Once we arrive at Port Orleans Riverside and get checked in we will head to Epcot.
I’m hoping to be walking into the park by 3 pm. Our Tier 1 FP will be for Frozen Ever After, or if I can’t get that one, Test Track. Tier 2, who knows, I’ll decide that later.

Dinner will be at Biergarten which is one of Jim’s must dos for the trip. It’s not really my favorite but we each picked some restaurants this time. We are doing 4 that he picked and 2 that I did. So not really an even split but I do go a lot more often that he does.

Wednesday, January 3rd, 2018

I plan to head to Magic Kingdom for just the morning. I am going to have Jim pick six FPs for our two days at MK and then decide from there which three to do on each day. As of right now, MK is opening at 9 am but I’m really hoping it will be moved back to 8 am since it will be crowded that week.

My original plan was a CS meal at MK for lunch and then a sit down at Disney Springs that night. But I was just not feeling any of the TS restaurants at DS for my “pre-race” dinner. I was debating between Liberty Tree Tavern and Whispering Canyon for lunch for quite a while but then something made me check Chef Mickey’s. I knew they had brunch but I thought it was only on Sundays. But I looked and it's offered every day! I haven’t been to Chef Mickey’s since 2010 and I’m excited to go back. It will give me a chance to have my Mickey waffles while Jim has lunch foods to munch on. So we will probably have to leave MK by 11:30 (part of the reason I’m hoping for an earlier opening) so we can walk to the Contemporary for lunch.

After lunch I will be heading to the race expo to pick up my bib and do some shopping. Jim said he does not want to go with me so I don’t know what he will do for sure but I imagine a nap back at the resort will be his choice. I’ll probably ride back to the resort with him before heading to the expo since he is so directionally challenged.

That evening we will be heading to DS for some shopping and dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express. I picked WPE because it has a pasta dish and that’s what I like to eat the night before a race. It also has enough variety for Jim since he is not a big pasta eater and doesn’t normally like Italian restaurant that don’t serve pizza. Plus if he doesn’t want anything there, Earl of Sandwich is right around the corner.

I hope to call it an early night and head to bed around 8 pm if possible.

Thursday, January 4th, 2018

Race Day! I plan to be up and out the door really early so I have time for character and DIS meets before the race. I have no idea what Jim will do, probably just hang out at the room and watch TV. He thinks watching a race is like watching paint dry so he never goes with me when I run.

After the race we will be heading to Hollywood Studios for the day. This will be our only HS day but with the park cut in half right now, I think we can easily get everything that we want to do in.

Lunch will be at 50s Prime Time, another must do of Jim’s. I plan to make the lunch a little early since I’m usually starving after a race.

FPs for the day will be TSM, TOT and probably Star Tours which Jim will ride twice since it makes me sick.

That evening we will either have dinner at Sci Fi or do the Star Wars dessert party. I’m not as keen on the party since it moved into Launch Bay but Jim had a blast last time so we may do it again. I just haven’t had a chance to ask him about it. I’ll probably make the Sci Fi ADR and then cancel it if we decide to do the party.

I definitely want to see the new Star Wars show one way or the other. I skipped it with Mom last December and also when I was by myself in March.

Friday, January 5th, 2018

We will be heading to Epcot all day. 1st Tier FP will be for either FEA or TT, whichever one I didn’t get the first day. This means we will be rope dropping Soarin’. Jim has not seen either FEA or the new Soarin’ and TT is his favorite ride. There was no way I could fit three Epcot days into this short trip so rope drop will be a must. Luckily Jim is an early bird so it won’t be a problem.

Lunch will probably be a Sunshine Seasons or maybe somewhere in World Showcase.
Jim always picks Biergarten and Rose and Crown for our TS meals at Epcot but I told him to only pick one of those and do a different one for once as a second choice. He stuck with Biergarten and picked Via Napoli as the 2nd so that’s where we will be eating on this night. I was very happy with that choice, it would have been what I picked. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve eaten there.

Saturday, January 7th, 2018

This will be our only Animal Kingdom day. I picked Saturday specifically because it has morning EMHs and I’m hoping to use those to get the new Pandora rides done. You can only get a FP for one of those and I plan on using it for Flight of Passage. I really want to do FOP twice so we will probably get a FP for that one and also hit it up right at rope drop. I will need to prepare Jim for the wait we will then have for the Na’vi River Journey.

I haven’t quite decided what our three FPs will be for but probably FOP, Safari and EE.

Lunch with be a Rivers of Light dining package at Tusker House. Jim is not really a fan of buffets (except for Biergarten of course) but considering Tiffin’s is our only other choice for a dining package I told him we were doing this one. Tiffin's is two credits and too fancy for our tastes. I’m not even going to tell him about Chef Mickey’s till we get there. I’ve got to have some choices for me, right?

Dinner will most likely be at Flame Tree as the Satu’li Canteen is a bit too adventurous for both me and Jim. I do think I will try one of the Mo’ara Margaritas at Pongu Pongu.

Either before or after ROL, I would like to spend some evening hours walking around Pandora to see all of the cool lighting. It would be great if AK was still having evening EMHs every night but I have no idea at this point if they will be extended all the way till January.

Sunday, January 7th, 2018

This will be our final day and we will be heading to MK to finish off the trip. Jim will be picking the FPs and we will try to finish up everything we didn’t get done on the first morning here.

Lunch will be at Be Our Guest. This is a must do for both of us and was one of the first places Jim mentioned when we were talking about plans.

I am considering doing the Happily Ever After dessert party on this night if we don’t do the Star Wars one. So dinner will either be at a CS (I’d like to try the Mac and Cheese bowls at Friar’s Nook if they are still around) or at The Plaza. Once again I will go ahead and make The Plaza ADR and then cancel either it or the Sci Fi one depending on which dessert party we do.

Monday, January 8th, 2017

We like to fly home early enough in order to pick up our doggies before the boarding place closes so there won’t be time for any parks on our last day. I’ll probably have just enough time for a last plate of Mickey Waffles before having to board DME to head to the airport.

And that’s the trip. I don’t think I’ll have too much trouble with ADRs, I’m not booking anything too hard to get.

Reactions: DLo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!