Cold day at Discovery Cove

HallClan

Earning My Ears
heading down next week and it will only be in the 50's on our day at Discovery Cove. Anyone experience a cold day there? I know the water temp is regulated but hoping the kids will not be miserably cold.

Our day a couple of weeks ago was high of 65. It was chilly but nice in the warmer water (dolphin and grand reef were doable but we were eager to get back to the warmer spots). They also have full wet suits - that will help - AND the crowds will be light! They set up portable heaters all over the place too.

Wet suits are wonderful. The water inside them warms up with your body temperature. Just keep an eye on those heater locations so you can get to one soon after exiting the water. Plan on spending a lot of time in the water and head to the hot showers if your body temperature drops.

Thanks guys. Looks like a chilly 60 degrees for our day. Just want the kids to be able to enjoy it. Loving the idea of light crowds. Shouldn't complain since it will be in the 20's back home.

I posted this on another thread!

Went many times in September. I once joked to staff that I can't imagine coming in winter since the water is already so cold. They said it is actually much better because the change from air to water isn't so bad, water won't feel as cold. Yeah, sure ...........

Couple years ago whole family was there for Christmas so we booked it. I was nervous. It was AWESOME! Staff was right. In nice weather took me forever to get in water each time because it felt so cold. But in December I could walk right in, off and on all day. I wouldn't hesitate to do winter trip again (and the price was great!)

The lazy river and pool area are heated and good place to relax and warm up. 85-86 degrees.

Dolphin Lagoon is 80 degrees.

The grand reef water is cold, has to be for the fish. 76-77 degrees.

Our day ended up being in the 50's but wasn't bad. Crowd was light since many people took advantage of the complimentary rebooking. Felt great in the water but air was definitely chilly. I'm thinking the kids would have been more uncomfortable if the air temp was warmer than the water.

yikes....i couldn't imagine going into the water on those temps for that kind of money...definitely wet suit weather

I just booked last night for Christmas Day 2017.

Anything special on Christmas?

Very excited, no matter the weather!!!

We went a few weeks before Christmas and nothing special for the holidays. Sea World was decorated and had holiday activities though.

yikes....i couldn't imagine going into the water on those temps for that kind of money...definitely wet suit weather

The kids loved it. The water felt great since the air was colder. We didn't spend much time out of the water except to eat. We just covered up with towels and sat by the heaters. It was so nice with lighter crowds. Don't think it would be as enjoyable if it was crowded.

I just booked last night for Christmas Day 2017.

Anything special on Christmas?

Very excited, no matter the weather!!!

We went a few weeks before Christmas and nothing special for the holidays. Sea World was decorated and had holiday activities though.

DC - no. But do try to use your SeaWorld pass and even if not a full day, go the second half so there at night. They probably have one of the top Christmas atmospheres, lights etc than any of the parks.

Well wet suits/vests are required all year round but in winter they aren't so uncomfortable. It actually is great because the air is cooler the water doesn't feel as cold as it is. No it might not be laying on the beach weather but we don't go there for that.

The kids loved it. The water felt great since the air was colder. We didn't spend much time out of the water except to eat. We just covered up with towels and sat by the heaters. It was so nice with lighter crowds. Don't think it would be as enjoyable if it was crowded.

YES :thumbsup2 Same. I've been there on uncrowded and crowded days. While both are great, the uncrowded is awesome, especially in water.

Thanks, didn't think they did anything special, but worth the ask. We have done Sea World at Christmas and loved it. Basically, we were booking Universal for the week before Christmas. I struck a deal with the wife - I can extend the vaca and go to Sea World (which I absolutely love) if she can swim with dolphins on Christmas. Consider it done!

Thanks, didn't think they did anything special, but worth the ask. We have done Sea World at Christmas and loved it. Basically, we were booking Universal for the week before Christmas. I struck a deal with the wife - I can extend the vaca and go to Sea World (which I absolutely love) if she can swim with dolphins on Christmas. Consider it done!

I just booked for Christmas Day too. I'm excited to spend the day there but am a little nervous about the temp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter