Cold Weather Running

Jhaberlein

Mouseketeer
So I've started c25k programs numerous times in the past, and have never stuck with it. After our DW trip in September and discovering RunDisney I've set a goal that during our next trip (probably not until 2017), I WILL enter an event. 1. If I'm going to actually run 13.1, it's going to be at my happy place. 2. Costumes and pictures? Yes, please! 3. I'm in ok shape, but definitely want to look/feel better!

Everytime I've gotten started, I've stopped myself from "becoming a runner" because of cold weather. I actually love the snow and winter, but the ice/burning feeling I get in the back of my throat and lungs feels like it's taking my breath away completely. After usually 3 cold weather runs I give up. I live in an area where spring/summer is midMay-very earlySeptember. Everything else is fall/winter. Yesterday it was 55 degrees and I could feel my throat start to get icy and tighten. I made it my full 30minutes (with some walking), but I could still feel it (though not as intense) a half hour after I was done. I've tried covering my nose/mouth, but then I just get sweaty and it doesn't do anything for the burning.

Is this something that I just need to power through for a few weeks and my body will adjust (as suggested on a running site)? Any suggestions for running masks that won't also make my face extra sweaty?

I don't want to spend 7-8 months on a treadmill, and I'm also determined to break my pattern of quitting! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My #1 suggestion, if at all possible, is to try to get with a running group (even if it's just one or two of your friends that will commit to running 2-3 days a week with you). That is by far the best way to be consistent and stick with it, especially on the tough days. Somehow, this also makes the uncomfortable parts of cold weather running seem better.

#2, have you tried to slow down a bit in the winter? This may help with the icy/burning feeling in your throat/lungs. Like you, I sometimes get that feeling, but it is usually when I am going out pretty hard in cold weather. If I keep the pace easy (which may be slower than my summer easy pace), I don't seem to have that feeling.

#3, on the days when it is really, really cold or on the days that you want to go at a harder pace, try the treadmill. You will still be outside for most of your winter runs, but these treadmill workouts every so often break things up a bit, plus these are the times that you are likely to get the throat/lungs feeling.

I just started running in January of 2014 and it was definitely hard in cold weather. You do have to give it some time to acclimate to the weather and it will get easier. I have a really hard time when the weather changes from hot to cold but also in the late Spring when it changes to hot as well. I just have to push through (and slow down my pace) until my body acclimates to the change. I also join a running group in the Winter and that definitely helps. And I agree with the previous post, no shame in the treadmill. That can help you build a base through the winter and keep up your conditioning and then you can be ready to get back outside in the Spring. As far as a face mask, I like using buffs so I can push them down around my neck when they get too warm. http://buffusa.com/

I live in NE Ohio, so I definitely feel your pain (I'm running Princess weekend so I've been thinking about this more)...but after a few years I've adapted to running in colder weather. 55 degrees sounds pretty ideal to me!

Yes, your lungs and throat will need to adjust to running in the lower temperatures. If you're looking for something to cover your face/mouth, this is what I have...I mostly wear it around my neck in colder weather but I can pull it up over my nose and feel like a bank robber. And bonus - it's spandex-like fabric so it shouldn't be too heavy (i.e. shouldn't make you sweat as much):
http://www.choucashats.com/product/neckwear/choucas-bandit/ (I have the Blue Lime Peacock one)
I also have one of these on order, the pre-order period is closed but maybe you could look for something similar from Nike, Brooks, etc.? http://www.inknburn.com/2015-holiday-tech-tube/

My biggest suggestion would be to invest in some quality pieces that will get you through the winter - it'll be pricey but if you take good care of what you buy, they should last you for years (I just bought a new pair of running tights in the spring after using the same pair for ~5 years). I make sure to wash all of my tech gear according to the tag instructions, which is normally in cold water on delicate cycle, hang it to dry. That seems to help my stuff last, which is good because like I said, the good stuff can be costly.

Personally, for cold-weather conditions, I have:
Running tights (I have the Brooks Utopia Thermal Tight)
Running jacket (I have the Brooks Utopia Thermal Hoodie)
Gloves - don't always use these (Shine Wind Mitt from Pearl Izumi)
A good pair of sunglasses for when the snow is bright and blinding (I have Oakleys)
Sunscreen, always

^^some of that stuff is hard to find since I have bought it in previous years, sorry if the links don't work.

That's basically it. In general I just try to layer with tech fabric, and once I warm up and start running I feel comfortable - I much prefer running in cold weather vs. hot weather. I'll draw the line if conditions are unsafe (insanely cold, icy roads/sidewalks, things like that). I know some people buy things to attach to their shoes so they can run in ice...I haven't ever tried that, not sure I really want to. :confused3

Sorry, but you should not be having any adverse reaction to running in 55 degree temps. None. This has nothing to do with your conditioning or acclimatization. If that happened to me, I would see my doctor.

I'm not sure what I"m going to do for the winter. I'm ok with much less then 55. I'm still ok now in MA and have been running a few times in the 40s.

However I have been running alot less due to loss of sunlight. Its starting to get dark by the time I get home from work. I generally don't want to leave as soon as I get home to run and its still pitch black before I leave for work. so I'm really only running on the weekend. I think I might just do that and do some stationary biking over winter and start back up in early spring.

Plus as soon as it starts to snow my running trail I like is going to be covered in snow. My area paved an old railroad line to make a bike trail, but it doesn't get plowed in winter.

If that happened to me, I would see my doctor

That's something I'm definitely considering. The 55 degree temp yesterday was eye opening. I thought for sure based on how I felt it the temp was in the lower 40s. Checked my weather app and refreshed it because I didn't believe it. Cold viruses seem to settle in my lungs versus sinuses, so unfortunately I think mind are just extra sensitive.

Sorry, but you should not be having any adverse reaction to running in 55 degree temps. None. This has nothing to do with your conditioning or acclimatization. If that happened to me, I would see my doctor.

Yep. And from my experience, I'm going with the probable diagnosis of exercise induced asthma.

I love the headband/neck "gaiter" from runprettyfar. They work perfectly to protect my throat just enough but they don't make me sweat too much more. I got one at the expo for last Nov Seattle Half when it was 25 degrees and I forgot my inhaler. Worked perfectly.

Also, try to breathe through your nose. Nose hairs are there for many reasons. :) Now breathing through your nose might mean that you aren't going to be working as hard as you could, but if it works to keep you healthier, it's worth it.

First, I agree that 55 degrees shouldn't be causing breathing problems. 55 degrees is still shorts and no shirt running weather for me.

I do start to have some burning lungs in the single digits but I get used to it after a few runs. If you don't you may want to see a doctor to make sure it isn't something bigger.

General winter running advise:

• Wicking. Lots of people think wicking clothing isn't needed in the winter. It is.
  • Along those same lines hydrate. You may sweat less in the winter but your lungs are using more water to add humidity to the air you are breathing. You lose a lot of water that way without realizing it.
  • Layers. I prefer multiple layers of thinner clothing to a thick running jacket.
  • Hat or ear covers. It has to be pretty cold for me to wear a hat but I have a headband with a larger area for my ears. Once it gets into the high 20's I wear that.
  • Going along with the layers and head covering dress for the whole run, no the first mile. There are plenty of times I'll start out with an extra layer or gloves and then take them off as soon as I'm warmed up. If you are nice and warm for the first mile chances are you'll be too warm for all the rest.
  • Add the temperature (including wind chill), what you wore, and how you felt to your running log. If it is going to be 38 degrees with a wind chill of 28 I look at what I wore for those conditions last year and if I felt warm, cold, or just right. It makes it a lot easier to plan what you'll need to run.
  • Visibility. Don't let darkness keep you from running. I do a lot of night running even in the summer but in the winter you pretty much have to run in the dark if you work a normal job. Grab some clip on lights, slap bracelet reflectors, or a high visibility vest and embrace the night.
  • Adjust your footing. I like running in the snow but the laws of physics always win. If you are a heal striker shorten up your stride and land with your center of gravity right above your foot. Don't lean into turns and pivot to turn.
  • A lot of winter running is mental. There are plenty of days where I just don't want to deal with it but I'm always glad I did once I'm out there.
  • Snowshoe. Buy some of find a place near you to rent them. Snowshoeing is my favorite winter cross training activity. My wife and I own some and we take our dog out onto the trails in the winter to get in some cross training. He loves the snow and so do we.

I agree with many above responders. 55 degrees seems very unusual as a cause for the symptoms you're describing.

I hate cold weather. I am miserable outdoors in the winter. I also have asthma. But, I run outside all winter (except in extremely icy conditions), and I do so comfortably.

I ran this morning when it was 34 degrees, felt like 28, and was breezy. I wore wicking full length tights, a wicking tank under a cold gear long sleeve shirt, an ear covering headband and running gloves. The first 5 minutes is always an adjustment, but then I'm fine. I have Reynauds so my extremities are particularly sensitive to cold. I find light gloves for the first mile keep that at bay, as well as smart wool socks.

The list above from @GreatLakes is a great primer. It is also important to remember that the seasonal changes (especially abrupt ones) take time to adjust to.

I would recommend checking in with a doctor about your symptoms. Perhaps slowing down while your adjusting to the cold, and moving one run a week indoors where you're comfortable to keep your fitness up while your sorting things out would help.

Lots of great advice so far. I would add one more thing: dress for 10 degrees warmer than it actually is. You should feel slightly chilly when you first head out, but you'll warm up quickly and don't want to overheat.

I have this balaclava from amazon and wear it when it's below freezing and especially if it's windy. If I get a little warm I can pull the mask down. I like that it's got the neck part too, as keeping my neck warm is a big deal for me. It can get sweaty but it got me through some 0 degree runs last December. I don't pull it really tight around my face so there's some space.

The other thing is when it's freezing and really windy I do wind pants over tights or yoga pants otherwise the wind just cuts through tights and if my thighs are freezing I can't run.

I live in NE Ohio, so I definitely feel your pain (I'm running Princess weekend so I've been thinking about this more)...but after a few years I've adapted to running in colder weather. 55 degrees sounds pretty ideal to me!

Yes, your lungs and throat will need to adjust to running in the lower temperatures. If you're looking for something to cover your face/mouth, this is what I have...I mostly wear it around my neck in colder weather but I can pull it up over my nose and feel like a bank robber. And bonus - it's spandex-like fabric so it shouldn't be too heavy (i.e. shouldn't make you sweat as much):
http://www.choucashats.com/product/neckwear/choucas-bandit/ (I have the Blue Lime Peacock one)
I also have one of these on order, the pre-order period is closed but maybe you could look for something similar from Nike, Brooks, etc.? http://www.inknburn.com/2015-holiday-tech-tube/

My biggest suggestion would be to invest in some quality pieces that will get you through the winter - it'll be pricey but if you take good care of what you buy, they should last you for years (I just bought a new pair of running tights in the spring after using the same pair for ~5 years). I make sure to wash all of my tech gear according to the tag instructions, which is normally in cold water on delicate cycle, hang it to dry. That seems to help my stuff last, which is good because like I said, the good stuff can be costly.

Personally, for cold-weather conditions, I have:
Running tights (I have the Brooks Utopia Thermal Tight)
Running jacket (I have the Brooks Utopia Thermal Hoodie)
Gloves - don't always use these (Shine Wind Mitt from Pearl Izumi)
A good pair of sunglasses for when the snow is bright and blinding (I have Oakleys)
Sunscreen, always

^^some of that stuff is hard to find since I have bought it in previous years, sorry if the links don't work.

That's basically it. In general I just try to layer with tech fabric, and once I warm up and start running I feel comfortable - I much prefer running in cold weather vs. hot weather. I'll draw the line if conditions are unsafe (insanely cold, icy roads/sidewalks, things like that). I know some people buy things to attach to their shoes so they can run in ice...I haven't ever tried that, not sure I really want to. :confused3

:wave: from Cleveland. Our weather really is super fun around here...I get cold very easily and do not have the greatest circulation in my hands. Around 50 degrees I throw on an ear warmer/headband and I am already in long sleeves. 40 is gloves time! Training for PHM was pretty miserable for me so I ended up using an indoor track just to get it done.

Now OP, my first thought was possibly running too fast out of the gate combined with lower temps/wind chill. Maybe start out slower until you feel more comfortable running. I just started running 2-3 years ago and my throat was the first to feel things in the beginning.

Lots of great advice already given. I live in Mid-Michigan and the last two years have run through the winter months in the great outdoors. I would like to say it is because I love the feel of the crisp air or the sound of crunching snow, etc. Sadly, it is about the fact that my treadmill died and I am too cheap to get it fixed!

Seriously though, running outdoors in winter can be awesome. I think the only things I would add are to start with small, short distances let yourself adjust. Layers are your friend, what FFigawi shared is really true, when you start a winter run you should be a little cold. As you run you will warm up and be comfortable. If you are going to be out in real cold weather wear gloves and a cap/beanie that covers your ears and wear eye protection. Lastly, if you are out in snow think about the weather the previous few days. Running in snow is very doable; running in snow covered ice is very dangerous! I and a few friends have taken pretty good falls from slipping in ice. If it is feeling sketchy I would recommend yak tracks, they make a big difference.

Good luck, you can totaly do this!

Lots of great advice already given. I live in Mid-Michigan and the last two years have run through the winter months in the great outdoors. I would like to say it is because I love the feel of the crisp air or the sound of crunching snow, etc. Sadly, it is about the fact that my treadmill died and I am too cheap to get it fixed!

Seriously though, running outdoors in winter can be awesome. I think the only things I would add are to start with small, short distances let yourself adjust. Layers are your friend, what FFigawi shared is really true, when you start a winter run you should be a little cold. As you run you will warm up and be comfortable. If you are going to be out in real cold weather wear gloves and a cap/beanie that covers your ears and wear eye protection. Lastly, if you are out in snow think about the weather the previous few days. Running in snow is very doable; running in snow covered ice is very dangerous! I and a few friends have taken pretty good falls from slipping in ice. If it is feeling sketchy I would recommend yak tracks, they make a big difference.

Good luck, you can totaly do this!

Every year I say I am going to give Yak Traks a try, but never do. Do they really work to prevent slippage? And how different do they feel to run in?

I bought a pair last year but I never ended up trying them out. The winter in NH was so bad and I was just coming back to running after many many years off. I'm hoping I don't need to use them this year. :D

My old cross country coach puts screws in his shoes. I have read people saying Yak Traks work, but never done anything like them or screws. I avoid ice or go really slow if there is some so just run off in the ditch of snow instead. (country roads that luckily get plowed)

Every year I say I am going to give Yak Traks a try, but never do. Do they really work to prevent slippage? And how different do they feel to run in?

They really do make a difference in traction. Negatives are that they do feel a little clumpy in my opinion. Also it needs to be a surface that is going to be snow and ice the whole time. Once last year I had to stop mid run and take them off because sections of the run had no snow (as it was melting away) and yak tracks were aweful on asphault!

But I will say this. On a normal run before I bought my yak tracks and while paying attention I noted a section of the sidewalk that tilted up and to the right. I saw the section, recognized I needed to slow down and focus on my footing and balance and still slipped anyway as I crossed it! While lying in the snow with a couple of good cuts in my hands I thought I am buying some yak tracks. A few weeks later and everytime sense I have cruised past this section when it is snow/iced over and had no problems with them on. I think they are worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter