College parents...fall semester?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
We just got the notice that my daughters school is “welcoming” kids back to campus. However, 50% of classes will be delivered online, face masks required on campus and dining halls most likely all take out. Semester will also go to all online Nov 20. And room and board is still the same price.

So we called to get some clarification and were told that classes are being listed as in person but “delivery” will be 50% online. So if the class is Tues and Thursday, students would only go to class on Tuesdays.

‘Her school does not have classes on Fridays, so she would only be in class on Monday and Tuesday. She has already registered for her classes so she knows her schedule.

Her school also requires students live on campus if they are over 50 miles away for freshman and sophomore year. (Will be a sophomore.). But we live 51 miles away.

So now we are thinking she will commute (the one extra mile should not be a problem according to them) instead. The school said it will not affect any scholarship money she has so that is good at least.

None of us can see paying room and board for the year (about $!5,000) when dining hallls are only take out and classes will be only two days a week in class. What kind of college experience is that? The savings would be about $15,000 for the year.

Anyone else in the same boat and what is your student doing this fall?

Last edited:
Penn State just sent a notice that they will be starting on time and sending everyone home for remote learning after Thanksgiving break. Today is the cutoff for medical accommodation form so I suspect they will need to reevaluate their space and see if they can actually fit everyone. I would think quad and supplemental housing will be a no go. He is all in so we decided to get DS a single for next semester because at least when the school closed we got our money back for both the room and dining plus his stuff was safe.

Umass Amherst is very vague but it seems as though they will balance offering both physical and remote if they choose to have physical classes. DD had an apartment this past semester and we had to pay all this time even though things were closed. PLUS we got a letter that if stuff was abandoned we'd need to pay for all her stuff being carted away at our expense so zero support. She had to go up and get her stuff & has decided to stay home instead of trying to navigate the stress & seems much calmer.

FSU is opening for on campus living but with most classes remote. Labs and a few classes that need to be in person like dance will be face to face. They are offering several Freshmen level basic classes in person to get the Freshmen to campus, but most upper level classes will be online.

DD goes to a CSU, and they've already announced most classes will be online in the fall. The exceptions will be labs, research projects, some arts, etc., that need access to on campus equipment and materials. Based on what she's taking, she'll be doing all her classes virtually.

Penn State just sent a notice that they will be starting on time and sending everyone home for remote learning after Thanksgiving break. Today is the cutoff for medical accommodation form so I suspect they will need to reevaluate their space and see if they can actually fit everyone. I would think quad and supplemental housing will be a no go. He is all in so we decided to get DS a single for next semester because at least when the school closed we got our money back for both the room and dining plus his stuff was safe.

Umass Amherst is very vague but it seems as though they will balance offering both physical and remote if they choose to have physical classes. DD had an apartment this past semester and we had to pay all this time even though things were closed. PLUS we got a letter that if stuff was abandoned we'd need to pay for all her stuff being carted away at our expense so zero support. She had to go up and get her stuff & has decided to stay home instead of trying to navigate the stress & seems much calmer.
My daughter has friends at UMASS and a couple have also decided to stay home and do online classes if possible. They also can’t see paying for room and board if dining halls are closed and some classes will wind up being remote anyway.

My daughter’s best friend goes to Quinnipiac and it is the same deal. Some in person, some online and all dining halls closed and take out only with full remote after November 20. They are offering kids to do just online too I think she said.

Our daughter’s college is local but she will live on campus if she is able to. She hasn’t received a room assignment yet, and we are concerned that they are going to say that they don’t have enough space for her and that she can commute since she is local. If this happens, she will take a gap semester or year. She doesn’t have any interest in attending college as a commuter student. Also, we wouldn’t want her to bring the virus home to us and I suspect that colleges are going to be a big source of spread.

So in response to the original poster. Does your daughter already have a car and is she ok with driving 102 miles each time she needs to get to campus? My daughters schools are both planning on a full return to campus and in person classes but both will finish up at Thanksgiving. My girls are excited to return to school even with take out. They both want out of the house. I can't blame them. It's boring here. If my daughter were to commute to campus I would need to purchase her a reliable car so the savings would not be a great. I would also worry about her driving 51 miles each way in the winter. I prefer to have them on campus where they can walk everywhere. Just my opinion.

I'm going to wait to pay my DS room and board until I know he is getting IN PERSON classes. If his classes are all going to be on-line, I am going to ask why he can't stay at home and do his classes and I can save the $14,000 for room and board. Probably will tell me no, because all I read about is how much they are losing and they want to raise tuition.

Rowan student deposits are lagging by 16%. A lot of people are speculating that the school doesn’t want to give an official answer until they lock in more kids to live in the dorms. Then they’ll tell them they’ll be online.

I think if they go 50% online my son will live on campus. He likes the college experience and I know he wants out of the house. Plus kids will always find a way to get together and party, which is the most important part to a lot of them.

We just got the notice that my daughters school is “welcoming” kids back to campus. However, 50% of classes will be delivered online, face masks required on campus and dining halls most likely all take out. Semester will also go to all online Nov 20. And room and board is still the same price.

So we called to get some clarification and were told that classes are being listed as in person but “delivery” will be 50% online. So if the class is Tues and Thursday, students would only go to class on Tuesdays.

‘Her school does not have classes on Fridays, so she would only be in class on Monday and Tuesday. She has already registered for her classes so she knows her schedule.

Her school also requires students live on campus if they are over 50 miles away for freshman and sophomore year. (Will be a sophomore.). But we live 51 miles away.

So now we are thinking she will commute (the one extra mile should not be a problem according to them) instead. The school said it will not affect any scholarship money she has so that is good at least.

None of us can see paying room and board for the year (about $!5,000) when dining hallls are only take out and classes will be only two days a week in class. What kind of college experience is that? The savings would be about $15,000 for the year.

Anyone else in the same boat and what is your student doing this fall?

By any chance does this school have the initials UM?

My son's school has announced they plan to return to campus and that students should expect some "hybrid" learning experiences. However, they haven't really released specifics yet (will all classes be 50% online, or will certain classes be 100% online and other classes 100% in person? Who knows.) We're almost 200 miles from campus though, so too far to commute. My son is excited at the commitment that they'll be going back. I am hopeful that the adjustments will be a good balance between safety and as normal of an experience as possible.

... So if the class is Tues and Thursday, students would only go to class on Tuesdays. ...
So looking at ALL her classes, she'd only be "on campus" 1-2 days a week? No, I'd consider commuting. Is it ideal? No, but nothing's really ideal right now.
... None of us can see paying room and board for the year (about $!5,000) when dining hallls are only take out and classes will be only two days a week in class. What kind of college experience is that? The savings would be about $15,000 for the year.
Agree. I have the impression your student is just starting college? Then those beginning classes could definitely be taken online -- it'd be harder for a student who's nearing graduation. For a freshman, I'd totally consider online classes at a community college.
... She doesn’t have any interest in attending college as a commuter student. ...
So her motivation to attend college is more about the lifestyle than the education?
... and I suspect that colleges are going to be a big source of spread.
Yep, I fear you're right. I wouldn't want my child to live in a dorm right now. I loved living in a dorm, and my kids both loved living in a dorm -- but they're too small /too crowded for safety at the moment.

I don't think big lecture classes are all that bad an idea -- so long as you can put a couple seats between everyone.

My youngest just graduated (well, received her degree -- didn't actually cross a stage in a graduation ceremony), but I'm worried about her roommate. She has one semester to go, and that's student teaching. I'm worried that she won't be able to finish /it's out of her control.

Last edited:
Iowa State sent an email last week. They will begin class 1 week early on Aug 17, and finals will be complete by the day before Thanksgiving, Nov 25th.

They did not give details on class format, but I am thinking large classes will be online, and smaller classes will be in person.

They will have testing and contact tracing, and are expecting everyone to wear masks. I feel it should be required for all who can wear masks, but they haven't come right out and said required.

OP, that is a huge savings and I would be considering that option if we had it. We live 4.5 hrs away from Iowa State, and DS already signed a year-long lease.

Yep Temple said all but an unspecified few classes will be in person. We decided, to save room and board money, she can just take the train to campus if she has an in person class, and stay at home. Add to that, like the other schools, after Thanksgiving break, campus is closed and all online, including all finals. They are not starting or stopping early.

I feel bad, as this was her freshman year, and was kicked out of the dorms less than a week after they broke for Spring Break. So she did not even get a full 2 semesters in her dorm room. But we were glad we did not put any money towards reserving, as the school was late in saying what they are doing, and many now are trying to get their deposits back.

We haven't gotten any specifics about delivery of classes - the school our son goes to has announced a similar timeframe as many other schools have (e.g. start a week early, end before Thanksgiving, no breaks). The rest of the plan is fairly vague right now:

We realize you have other important questions. As noted in a previous communication, our Fall Planning Task Force has been overseeing and coordinating three committees, made up of students, parents, faculty, staff, health professionals and others, entrusted to study multiple aspects of a safe return to campus including:

• Revising size limits on lectures, mechanisms for small-group discussions and projects, extended scheduling, and more.
  • Identifying best formats for lab, research, studio, and capstone experiences with appropriate social distancing.
  • Making improvements to campus infrastructure and processes, and new health technologies to help safeguard us.
  • Residence halls, dining halls, academic facilities, and public spaces all are being studied and potentially upgraded. Areas under examination include virus testing, daily monitoring, quarantine housing and related student comfort services, enhanced disinfection, new food service models, touchless technologies, sanitized air handling, and procurement.
We repeat our pledge that our efforts will strive to incorporate the best of what we all cherish about a campus experience. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we build out our plans.

My daughter will be starting her Freshman year at DePaul in Chicago in September. They are already on a quarter system with the fall quarter beginning early September and ending just before Thanksgiving. They have said they will be welcoming students to campus in the fall with a "hybrid" of in person and online classes, extra cleaning procedures, shorter building hours and mandatory mask wearing both indoors and outdoors everywhere on the two campuses except for individual dorm rooms. My daughter is excited to go, and knows it won't be exactly what she pictured. But we are hopeful that by Sophomore year there will be a vaccine and hopefully things will feel more "normal" for the remainder of her college years. My biggest worry is that DePaul has two campuses, one in Lincoln Park and one in the South Loop, so she will have to take public transportation for class (and for other reasons) and her exposure in the subway....and the added worry now about protests possibly turning into riots near campus.

It’s rumored that UD will be ending early with finals at home. We signed a lease in October that started June 8th, Dd decided no matter what, she was going to live with her friends even if it was online. She’ll move down there in August. She is really missing the social aspect of college a lot, even though she sees her home friends a lot (outside). She’s not a homebody at all.

None of our Florida state universities or colleges will have final, final plans until the Board of Governors approves their plans on June 23. The plans were submitted last Friday.

My DD, and the DDs of two DIS-Friends, are going to the University of Central Florida in Orlando. UCF has a pretty detailed plan, but there are huge gaps in details, so we're all kind of wondering what the "college experience" is really going to be like. Some basics:
  • From a move-in weekend, dorm move-in will now be phased from August 8 to August 23. We're not sure what that actually means because UCF has always had some early move-ins for athletes, marching band, and Greek rush. Move-in appointments will apparently be arranged in July.
  • All dorm residents will also be covid-tested at move-in, and special rooms have been set aside for any students who need to be quarantined.
  • UCF has a lot of apartment-style dorms with private bedrooms, and those will continue to have full capacity. They have some dorms with shared bedrooms, and those will be limited to one student per bedroom with an option to request a roommate.
  • The university will provide 100,000 reusable facemasks to all students, faculty, and staff -- and facemasks will be mandatory.
  • Entering freshmen are being given priority for in-person classes, but we're not positive what that means at the moment, and obviously it could be subject to change. My DD has already registered and is currently scheduled for three in-person classes and one online class (that class is always taught online apparently, so this is not due to covid).
  • Upperclassmen will be getting the bulk of the remote learning, and they are not happy campers.
  • Athletics are up in the air as the NCAA works with schools and conferences to come up with a workable plan, but the football team has already returned to campus for summer practice. 3 football players apparently tested positive on check-in.
  • Our Thanksgiving break starts November 25. The following week is the last week of classes and all classes will be online that week. November 7-12 is Finals, and then we are done until January 11. Supposedly, students will have the option of remaining on campus to take advantage of all the very robust study/tutoring resources -- or they can stay home after Thanksgiving and finish online.

My daughter starts her freshman year this fall. We just bought a lot of stuff for her dorm room this past weekend. She is very excited about it. I’m hoping things will be “normal” but even if the classes are some sort of hybrid they did say dorms would be open. For her the most exciting thing is moving out and being on her own so even if she doesn’t get to go to all in person classes she’ll still get some independence. She has a private dorm room but is suite mates with 2 of her best friends for years. They all 3 share a bathroom. They are going together this week to buy stuff for their bathroom. The school is about an hour away and she has a car so she can come home whenever she wants to. My fear was that dorms wouldn’t open and it would be all online. If that had happened we would have had her postpone a semester, but as long as she can go and live there we’re all excited about it! I never went away to college, I lived at home and commuted so I’m really excited for her to have the experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!