College parents...fall semester?

At UD the students and parents are instructed the name is UD, not Udel (we called it Udel until the first college visit), anyone who says Udel is quickly corrected, did had to correct us several times.

Learn something new all the time, clearly my DS didnt’ got here, lol. My sister in Law went to UD but back in the 80’s, don’t recall what it was called back then.

Yes, it’s absolutely nuts! Even on parent Facebook pages folks are quickly corrected. I’m curious when the change happened and why everyone seems to care so much.
Because...Facebook?

I looked at the UCF parents page on Facebook once. That was plenty.

Because...Facebook?

I looked at the UCF parents page on Facebook once. That was plenty.
No, every student or parent will correct anyone who says Udel, I’ve been corrected by friends who’s kids went there, dd’s college friends, I think many are amused at the importance everyone places on it. There is a good ID Facebook page made by the university that has actual factual information on it (much needed during this whole situation with dd living there, I honestly don’t know if my other kids’ colleges had one).

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I had no idea that a college could be that big. A large population of commuting students, I assume?
To be honest, I wouldn't have even known of UCF if not for college football.
The university DH and I attended had a few hundred shy of 70,000 enrolled last year. I doubt it dropped this year. It has few commuters and is very much a college town. When we attended, the student body was half that size. DD attends a university of 39,000 and that doesn't even seem large to me anymore. They have not published official figures, but DD reports very few people are walking around on campus. She has in person classes, due to her major, but her 3 roommates were all switched to online classes. Some days, she is the ONLY person on the bus, which used to be standing room only.

DW's cousin told her about it. My bet is the parents will be mad at, and probably suing, the university.

Unfortunately, the first words many babies learn these days are not "Mommy" or "Daddy." They are, "It's NOT MY FAULT!"

The University had each student sign a conduct contract which clearly stated that an off campus gathering would result in expulsion. The parents could sue, of course, but these kids went in agreeing to the rules.

The University of Illinois letter is interesting to me, inasmuch as 50% of their students live in non-university housing. They can send home the kids in the dorms but I know for a fact the kids in rental apartments are all moved in for the year and will not be leaving. Almost all of the classes are already online.

The other thing of interest to me from that letter is that of course nowhere in it do they mention the fact that there are currently 3 hospitalizations for covid in Champaign county. https://www.news-gazette.com/corona...cle_c75a98dc-4cf4-52e6-88b5-e4ca34d9185d.html
This is what I feel is always missing from the numbers coming out of colleges. Out of the multitude of cases with students how many actually require hospitalization? And I think that’s a very important part of the equation.

Learn something new all the time, clearly my DS didnt’ got here, lol. My sister in Law went to UD but back in the 80’s, don’t recall what it was called back then.
I think it was Udel, I graduated HS in the 80’s and knew people who went there, I think that is what everyone called it. I was just with a friend an hour ago who went there, I should’ve asked!

This is what I feel is always missing from the numbers coming out of colleges. Out of the multitude of cases with students how many actually require hospitalization? And I think that’s a very important part of the equation.
Patients in the student age range rarely require hospitalization. Most students who test positive are either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.

However, another big risk with student illness is bringing the illness home to parents and other loved ones. We have good friends who would not let their daughter go to campus as planned because the dad is high-risk.

Patients in the student age range rarely require hospitalization. Most students who test positive are either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms.

However, another big risk with student illness is bringing the illness home to parents and other loved ones. We have good friends who would not let their daughter go to campus as planned because the dad is high-risk.
But if they’re living on campus, are they really in danger of bringing it home?

But if they’re living on campus, are they really in danger of bringing it home?
If they go home...yes. Not many off-campus dwellers stay in their apartments 365 days a year.

If they go home...yes. Not many off-campus dwellers stay in their apartments 365 days a year.
Mine is off campus and I don’t expect him to come back until Thanksgiving. I think for those worried about infecting family members, it would be wise to stay on campus.

My daughter's school tests all students who are residential or commuters at least weekly. If you chose remote there is no testing but you are not allowed on campus at all even to go to say the bookstore. All faculty/staff and contract workers, vendors etc who want to be allowed on campus also test weekly. So far since mid August as testing started and students slowly moved in they have had 4 positive cases but no idea if any were students.

Dining is not off to a great start with tons of complaints but is slowly improving. I don't know if indoor dining is even an option but there are some tents etc set up outside. Some of the tents have lights and heat but I have no idea what will happen as weather gets colder/snows etc.

Move in was very staggered but on the night my daughter moved in about a dozen students were caught in non compliance as in parties or no masks/social distancing and all were sent home immediately. Although students knew the rules ahead of time they received a harsh email reminding them of what they agreed to and how this is too serious so no second chances etc. This weekend a few more were sent home for non compliance along with another sternly worded email to students. At this point I really don't see how any student can claim not to know the rules. We also signed a basic agreement about compliance before they would give out room info etc.

Mine is off campus and I don’t expect him to come back until Thanksgiving.
Right. That's my point.
I think for those worried about infecting family members, it would be wise to stay on campus.
That depends on the testing regime of the school -- OR, as our friends are doing, keep them home.

University policies vary widely.

At your DS' school, dorm residents are tested at least weekly. At my DD's school, they were tested only prior to check-in, but they can request testing again prior to doing home (or for any reason)

At your DS' school, off-campus residents are not allowed on the campus. At my DD's school, there are no restrictions on off-campus students -- although there are temperature checks prior to entering classrooms, libraries, etc.

So it depends.

Right. That's my point.That depends on the testing regime of the school -- OR, as our friends are doing, keep them home.

University policies vary widely.

At your DS' school, dorm residents are tested at least weekly. At my DD's school, they were tested only prior to check-in, but they can request testing again prior to doing home (or for any reason)

At your DS' school, off-campus residents are not allowed on the campus. At my DD's school, there are no restrictions on off-campus students -- although there are temperature checks prior to entering classrooms, libraries, etc.

So it depends.
Do you know where my son goes to school?

Just moved DD to her off campus house today. No testing done here but our community is relatively low risk. She will do a walkthrough (had to make a reservation) to pick up a welcome kit that comes with a mask.

We live local (10 mins away)and it was a tough decision for her to move out in the midst of a pandemic. Especially since we live local and her classes are 100% online.

But at this stage in her life, she really needed space away from us to grow and mature. We do too much for her at home. She's in 2nd year and was offered a room in a house of girls she knows and likes. So it is a good opportunity in a welcoming environment.

We do worry about the virus. They don't hold big parties and are not wild kids but they are definitely social with friends dropping by all the time. DD is very careful but certainly it is higher risk than home. We finally decided her steps towards independence was worth the risk.

My DD's school (Marquette University), has had a total of 23 positives since August 21st.
That includes students, faculty and staff.

Staff and faculty are required to take temps and log any symptoms. Students were issued masks, thermometers, covid behavior expectations. They must also swipe their ID to enter just about everywhere...to help maintain contact tracing on campus. Also many buildings are accessible only to students that have class in those areas. And they have "hall monitors" to enforce rules during class hours.

They do not require testing on a certain schedule, or certain times per week...but anyone may request and receive testing at any time. And protocols are in place for any positives.

One can confidently assume students venture outside of their off-campus housing from time to time, even in these times. And not everyone in the community is a student.
There are also lots of people working on campus who are higher risk of more serious complications than the young students and these people go home to their own communities at the end of the day - faculty, dining hall workers, custodians, facilities workers. The students are not just on campus alone only interacting with each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter