College parents...fall semester?

Well, Mizzou is jumping the shark on this. Face masks now required everywhere on campus, including outdoors. You can no longer find a secluded spot to sit with a book and do some homework unless you wear a face mask. Also new is the snitch hot link.

I ask, where is the science to support this? If it was safe for them to have an 800 person march last week, there's no reason it's not safe to sit in a corner somewhere studying.

Now my DD gets to wear a face mask the 3/4 mile hike from class and work to her parking spot. Lovely.

That’s rough @mom2rtk. So far, DS’s school still encourages being outside in ways that don’t need one. I think they are very important in crowds, of course! But I agree with you that a mask for studying by yourself is overkill.

That’s rough @mom2rtk. So far, DS’s school still encourages being outside in ways that don’t need one. I think they are very important in crowds, of course! But I agree with you that a mask for studying by yourself is overkill.
She's already saying she doesn't want to go back next semester. She's hanging by a thread this semester. I keep urging her to stay just a little bit longer.

I'd feel better about the new policy if there was even one iota of science to support it.

Well, Mizzou is jumping the shark on this. Face masks now required everywhere on campus, including outdoors. You can no longer find a secluded spot to sit with a book and do some homework unless you wear a face mask. Also new is the snitch hot link.

I ask, where is the science to support this? If it was safe for them to have an 800 person march last week, there's no reason it's not safe to sit in a corner somewhere studying.

Now my DD gets to wear a face mask the 3/4 mile hike from class and work to her parking spot. Lovely.
I think the Virus “just knows” the difference between protesting/rioting and studying outdoors. It’s just science. 🙃

Most colleges I think are requiring masks in public these days, even if walking around campus. We went to visit my son yesterday for his birthday and nearly everyone we passed on campus was wearing a mask, unless sitting at a table outside eating. It's just the new reality right now.

DD has quite a hike to her class from the shuttle stop. She is VERY fit, but said it's hard to walk that far on hilly terrain in 95-100 degree heat with a mask on.

No, it’s not safer to have a march, there is just no way to prevent them since protests are protected by the constitution. Hands are tied.

No, it’s not safer to have a march, there is just no way to prevent them since protests are protected by the constitution. Hands are tied.
There's no Constitutional right to have the University open facilities to use for the march.

Additionally, we are to believe it's not safe for students to be outside without a mask, even if socially distanced, but it's safe to have football in 2 weeks with fans in the stands?

DD has to wear a mask everywhere on campus outside of her room including walking down the hall to the bathroom from her dorm room. That’s been the rule since day one. She’s in the northeast.

We're at UCF right now, returning DD after Labor Day weekend. They've had mandatory masks from the start EVERYwhere outside your room. Mask compliance is near 100%, and frankly, the students don't make a fuss about it. No big deal.

DD has to wear a mask everywhere on campus outside of her room including walking down the hall to the bathroom from her dorm room. That’s been the rule since day one. She’s in the northeast.

Did she say how many masks she goes through in a day? DS stayed at home this semester, but initially when he was planning to live on campus, I was figuring he’d need at least 6 masks a day. Two for each class per day, 3 for each meal, and at least one (probably more) for each bathroom or laundry room trip. Either that or reuse the same mask six or seven times a day, which essentially defeats the purpose

She's already saying she doesn't want to go back next semester. She's hanging by a thread this semester. I keep urging her to stay just a little bit longer.

I'd feel better about the new policy if there was even one iota of science to support it.

I don’t mean to get into another of The Great Mask Debate.

Seems like an overreaction to a new, unaccustomed policy IMO TBH. Making a decision of whether to study at school or at home because of wearing a mask? I thought people were arguing that attending class in person is a lot better for academic and mental health reasons?

Wearing a mask on campus, whether indoors or out, seems to be the rule, not the exception, from what our kids tell us about their friends’ schools.

I don’t mean to get into another of The Great Mask Debate.

Seems like an overreaction to a new, unaccustomed policy IMO TBH. Making a decision of whether to study at school or at home because of wearing a mask? I thought people were arguing that attending class in person is a lot better for academic and mental health reasons?
Right now she has one half of one class still in person. At a certain point, students aren't going to be happy being cooped up in their rooms all day. Not enough in person instruction to make all the hassles worthwhile.

She is very supportive of wearing a mask when the science says it makes sense to wear a mask. When the mandate (to wear one indoors and when you can't socially distance outside) was first passed, her response was "Thank Heaven, it's about time". Now they have added the outdoor at all times mandate, she's less enthusiastic. Wearing a mask on the 3/4 mile trek from her parking spot to class in 95 degree makes nobody safer.

The fact that she's 2 weeks into no A/C in her apartment isn't helping either. It's bad when you have one place you can relax without a mask and it's not even comfortable.

Last edited:

Masks should be required. Everyone should wear a mask on campus.

There's no Constitutional right to have the University open facilities to use for the march.

Additionally, we are to believe it's not safe for students to be outside without a mask, even if socially distanced, but it's safe to have football in 2 weeks with fans in the stands?
Will the fans be required to wear masks?

My sons University starts random testing soon. They had over 800 new positives so it’s needed.

Did she say how many masks she goes through in a day? DS stayed at home this semester, but initially when he was planning to live on campus, I was figuring he’d need at least 6 masks a day. Two for each class per day, 3 for each meal, and at least one (probably more) for each bathroom or laundry room trip. Either that or reuse the same mask six or seven times a day, which essentially defeats the purpose

I wear one mask a day at work. I'm confused why multiple masks would be needed for each class with the way colleges also have social distancing measures in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter