College Program Parents Thread...

That's a tad judgmental. I thought this was a parents thread for sharing information. I'm helping her research because I love her and we're both very excited about her applying to the program as Disney has played a huge part in our lives. I also personally know the person I emailed for guidance on who she needs to contact once getting back to school. That said, she's done a foreign exchange program and has traveled extensively on her own to several countries. She also has work experience. I think she's more than ready. But, thank you for your information.
Parents who don't email the admissions office of their adult children's universities also love their children. You're not letting her become an adult if you involve yourself in her college or job search process to the point of doing research for her or acting as in intermediary with the university or employer. Plus, having your mom contact people for you is a giant red flag.

Parents who don't email the admissions office of their adult children's universities also love their children. You're not letting her become an adult if you involve yourself in her college or job search process to the point of doing research for her or acting as in intermediary with the university or employer. Plus, having your mom contact people for you is a giant red flag.

Let it go. I'm going to. You're extremely rude. You don't even know who I contacted or what I asked. This is a parents thread for information, not a thread intended to be judgmental of someone's parenting skills. This thread is 151 pages long, have no other parents asked questions? Bye.

Your daughter wants to apply for a job or internship and isn't able to figure out her financial aid and make arrangements for herself? I would seriously rethink if she's ready for DCP.

I went to college part time after the first year and I had to pay on my loans, as deferment required full time enrollment. You may want to encourage your daughter to research her loans for herself, as it is her credit and finances that she'll have to clean up if she doesn't correctly defer or make payments per her loan arrangements.
While I'm not a huge proponent of parents contacting admissions offices (colleges think of our kids as adults and treats them as such, so don't want to talk to us!!), I can understand a parent wanting to be sure they have the correct info. Perhaps with a bit of parental guidance, there won't be anything to 'clean up' down the road! All college age kids should know what their finances are, but few automatically have that knowledge.

Shan, your dd will have two shots at applying for entry after graduation. She could apply in Jan...that's what my dd did. If she hadn't gotten in then, she could have applied in Aug, for the spring program. As long as you graduated six months or less prior to applying, you're good to go.
The whole financial aid issue is hard to deal with. Your dd could do a program, but not extend. My dd started on Sept 6 and her program ended on Jan 5, but she extended to May 12, since she had graduated. Have your dd check with the financial aid office at school. See what they say she needs to do in order to be considered a student, so her loans don't come due.

While I'm not a huge proponent of parents contacting admissions offices (colleges think of our kids as adults and treats them as such, so don't want to talk to us!!), I can understand a parent wanting to be sure they have the correct info. Perhaps with a bit of parental guidance, there won't be anything to 'clean up' down the road! All college age kids should know what their finances are, but few automatically have that knowledge.

Shan, your dd will have two shots at applying for entry after graduation. She could apply in Jan...that's what my dd did. If she hadn't gotten in then, she could have applied in Aug, for the spring program. As long as you graduated six months or less prior to applying, you're good to go.
The whole financial aid issue is hard to deal with. Your dd could do a program, but not extend. My dd started on Sept 6 and her program ended on Jan 5, but she extended to May 12, since she had graduated. Have your dd check with the financial aid office at school. See what they say she needs to do in order to be considered a student, so her loans don't come due.

Thank you! She will be taking care of these things once she gets back to school. As far as who I emailed... I wasn't clear that I emailed someone I personally know - a distant cousin! My goodness! I just didn't think I was gonna be jumped on regarding that comment. No wonder I left the boards years ago. But yes, I want to make sure everything is understood before she applies. Congrats to your daughter on graduating and doing the program. I hope she had a blast.

Thank you! She will be taking care of these things once she gets back to school. As far as who I emailed... I wasn't clear that I emailed someone I personally know - a distant cousin! My goodness! I just didn't think I was gonna be jumped on regarding that comment. No wonder I left the boards years ago. But yes, I want to make sure everything is understood before she applies. Congrats to your daughter on graduating and doing the program. I hope she had a blast.
Thanks Shan....she is over at US now...and loving it. I'm hoping she gets back to Disney at some point, but her program soured her a bit. Hopefully she can get past that.
And that whole calling someone at college? Yeah, we did that. Dd did everything right when needing to go back for winter intersession. She was cast in a show that was rehearsing before school opened for the next semester. She emailed all the right people but when it came time to move in, nothing was in her file!!! Seriously? I saw the emails she sent, and the responses she got....whoever was in charge of assigning rooms dropped the ball, and left her holding the bag. So, we called the nephew of a business associate of dh's. He was the second in charge for housing. Thank heaven for him....dd and her friend were able to move in on time!! But, it wasn't fun!!! So, yeah, sometimes parents have to step up and do what needs to be done. It's what you do.

Thanks Shan....she is over at US now...and loving it. I'm hoping she gets back to Disney at some point, but her program soured her a bit. Hopefully she can get past that.
And that whole calling someone at college? Yeah, we did that. Dd did everything right when needing to go back for winter intersession. She was cast in a show that was rehearsing before school opened for the next semester. She emailed all the right people but when it came time to move in, nothing was in her file!!! Seriously? I saw the emails she sent, and the responses she got....whoever was in charge of assigning rooms dropped the ball, and left her holding the bag. So, we called the nephew of a business associate of dh's. He was the second in charge for housing. Thank heaven for him....dd and her friend were able to move in on time!! But, it wasn't fun!!! So, yeah, sometimes parents have to step up and do what needs to be done. It's what you do.

Yikes! Glad you got that all worked out. I bet that was stressful. As for US, she's still in Orlando. Close enough to Mickey for you! LOL

Good morning, parents! My DD is on her second attempt to get in the DCP for Spring/Spring Advantage 2018. I was looking at housing options (her PI recruiter mentioned living with up to 7 other people so I wanted to see apartment sizes/options)...anyway, I read that you choose your housing approximately 20 days prior to moving in. My question is whether that is the first time that you learn your move-in date. My husband has to put his vacation in for all of 2018 in November and I was hoping that dates would be made available earlier for transportation purposes. Thanks for taking time to respond.

Good morning, parents! My DD is on her second attempt to get in the DCP for Spring/Spring Advantage 2018. I was looking at housing options (her PI recruiter mentioned living with up to 7 other people so I wanted to see apartment sizes/options)...anyway, I read that you choose your housing approximately 20 days prior to moving in. My question is whether that is the first time that you learn your move-in date. My husband has to put his vacation in for all of 2018 in November and I was hoping that dates would be made available earlier for transportation purposes. Thanks for taking time to respond.

I did the program for spring 07 and spring 09. Both times I knew the move in dates when I accepted. It may have changed but I doubt it. If I remember correctly there was a few dates to pick from for spring but only one spring advantage date. Both times I moved in mid to late January. It generally lists it in your acceptance letter along with what role you assigned to. Back when I did the program you couldn't pick your housing complex until the day you checked in but it looks like that may have changed.

I did the program for spring 07 and spring 09. Both times I knew the move in dates when I accepted. It may have changed but I doubt it. If I remember correctly there was a few dates to pick from for spring but only one spring advantage date. Both times I moved in mid to late January. It generally lists it in your acceptance letter along with what role you assigned to. Back when I did the program you couldn't pick your housing complex until the day you checked in but it looks like that may have changed.
Thank you so much!! I had a moment of panic then thought, no, that just can't be right!! Now I guess we just wait and see....

Hi, parents!! I get to officially join in! My dd received her acceptance for QSFB yesterday!! We are doing the happy dance all over the place!!

Congratulations to all the rest of my fellow new DCP parents. Looks like DD wants us to come down and help move some stuff down in January. Hmmm, she will really have to twist my arm.:goodvibes

Congratulations to all the rest of my fellow new DCP parents. Looks like DD wants us to come down and help move some stuff down in January. Hmmm, she will really have to twist my arm.:goodvibes
I know what you mean! My DD "forced" me to make reservations for 2 park days before Monday's move-in!! :mickeyjum

MY OPINION - work or intern while in college and apply at the end. It's a great gap year before real life and a great way to figure out exactly what you want, even those sure often are not.

I was happy to read this, as this is my DD's plan. She is currently a junior, and plans to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage for after graduation. I believe that means applying in January of senior year, with one more chance to apply in August. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was happy to read this, as this is my DD's plan. She is currently a junior, and plans to apply for Fall or Fall Advantage for after graduation. I believe that means applying in January of senior year, with one more chance to apply in August. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If she is looking to do Fall after she graduates, she would apply in the spring. I would suggest signing up for the alerts on the DCP website as they will let you know once the application opens. Definitely have her apply as early as possible. She will need to do the program that fall as she would be outside the time limit to apply in August for the Spring program. You are only eligible if you graduated in the last six month. So for a January start, you would have to graduate in August. If she applies early and isnt too picky about job placement she should be fine. I did the program the semester after I graduated and applied as soon as the application open and had an answer within 6 weeks. Best of luck!

My DD started in the Fall (she graduated in July) and she applied in JANUARY.

Here is the Disney chart and info:

Fall & Fall Advantage
  • Students should apply/interview late January/early February – late March

https://disneyprogramsblog.com/when-to-apply-to-the-disney-college-program/

DD applied in January 2015, graduated May 2015, started August 2015, extended in January 2016 until May 2016. There was a hiring freeze due to Shanghi going over budget, so she got a job with an area high end resort as front desk/concierge, and within a month there- Disney called with a PT position. She took it and applied for FT. After 6 months in Resort Children's Activities, she got a FT position in Attractions at MK. (her happy place!)

We were happy she had waited to graduate. She was happy because she knew she wanted Disney as a career and once in Florida she wouldn't have wanted to return to finish school. And, even though she gave up a FT position to initially take a PT position with Disney, it was the best decision for her. She said, "I moved to Florida to work for DISNEY. If I wanted to work in just the hotel industry, I would have stayed home and got a job in Manhattan."

I'm also happy because from the start she looked at this as "career path". Some of the CPs she came in contact with were in "college party mode". She had no time for any of that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!