Columbus Day Week?

JAMIESMITH

DIS Veteran
I have swapped reservations around a few times already, but right now we are booked at HRH (yay EP!) the week before Columbus Day (Monday-Saturday) to coincide with our older daughter's fall break. We are avoiding HHN because we will have children with us. Will the crowds be awful? OI shows Thursday-Saturday as high crowd days. I'm wondering if I should try to arrange it so we leave arrive and depart a day or two earlier?

I don't have tickets yet. I would bite on UT 2+2 deal, but they expire in May. Will I be okay with four days of tickets for all three parks? I think we'd like to try VB even though we will have a two year old with us. Arrival day will be strictly a pool day, but this will also leave us with no tickets on departure day.

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions.

The week before Columbus Day weekend has ok crowd levels

You will be fine going then

The last ten years I have been at UO and included CD weekend
It has increased in crowds every year

It has become more than what I want to deal with and my next fall stay will be the weeks prior
Already have my hotel booked there

Hhn will happen on Wednesdays, Thursday’s, Friday, Saturday and Sunday’s in October

The week before Columbus Day weekend has ok crowd levels

You will be fine going then

The last ten years I have been at UO and included CD weekend
It has increased in crowds every year

It has become more than what I want to deal with and my next fall stay will be the weeks prior
Already have my hotel booked there

Hhn will happen on Wednesdays, Thursday’s, Friday, Saturday and Sunday’s in October

May I ask what dates you are booked for next year? Do you think we should go to VB later in the week when the park crowds are heavier?

I check in September 29 and will leave before the Columbus Day weekend

This year I had similar dates and found the parks fine up until Friday October 12
The c Day weekend brought in many people

The Tuesday and Wednesday after Columbus Day had ok crowds
Anything past that, I was not there then

The Studios closes at 5:00 on hhn dates
IOA will still be open

I would avoid Saturdays in the park due to hhn

Wait until we get to September next year before you decide swapping out a Park day for Vbay

More threads will be made about vacation plans during hhn time period

Many still go to UO without including hhn in their plans

This year I had similar dates and found the parks fine up until Friday October 12
The c Day weekend brought in many people

The Tuesday and Wednesday after Columbus Day had ok crowds
Anything past that, I was not there then

The Studios closes at 5:00 on hhn dates
IOA will still be open

I would avoid Saturdays in the park due to hhn

Wait until we get to September next year before you decide swapping out a Park day for Vbay

More threads will be made about vacation plans during hhn time period

Many still go to UO without including hhn in their plans

Thank you so much!

You’re welcome

Usually hhn talk starts up in mid/late June

Be sure to check out new threads about hhn that will start next spring

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds at US/IOA at that time, especially since you will be getting an Express Pass by staying at HRH. We've been on the weekend after Columbus Day, and while crowded, ride waits were not bad. We had park to park tickets, so we spent Early Hours at US, did what we wanted to there, and then headed over to IOA each day, since US closed for HHN early. You'll be fine!

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds at US/IOA at that time, especially since you will be getting an Express Pass by staying at HRH. We've been on the weekend after Columbus Day, and while crowded, ride waits were not bad. We had park to park tickets, so we spent Early Hours at US, did what we wanted to there, and then headed over to IOA each day, since US closed for HHN early. You'll be fine!

Thank you! I don't know why I'm stressing out over this trip so much.

Thank you! I don't know why I'm stressing out over this trip so much.

Well, it's what us Type A personalities do - try to work through all the possibilities/variables now, so that when the trip finally gets here we can relax and enjoy it! You'll have a great time no matter what!

We were there over Columbus Day weekend this year. We went to Volcano Bay on Friday, and it wasn't very crowded, especially during Early Entry. We rode Krakatau 5 times without a wait. I would not recommend buying the separate Express Pass for Volcano Bay then.

As for the parks, they weren't that bad during the day. We were mainly there for HHN, so we only hit park opening once. It felt less crowded or about the same as a summer week. It was definitely significantly less crowded than Thanksgiving weekend and when we go on Spring Break, 2nd or 3rd week in March.

We might be there at the same time again this year. I am planning on going around the first weekend in October, 10/3-6. Hopefully, we can meet up this time.

It would be great to meet you !

I switched from the Columbus Day weekend period to the week prior for next year

Have been hitting hhn on the Friday of CB weekend since 2007

Each year crowds grow
This year crowds were larger than in the past for me
So, switching time periods

Also, deluxe hotels are at a much better rate for me by avoiding CD weekend

It would be great to meet you !

I switched from the Columbus Day weekend period to the week prior for next year

Have been hitting hhn on the Friday of CB weekend since 2007

Each year crowds grow
This year crowds were larger than in the past for me
So, switching time periods

Also, deluxe hotels are at a much better rate for me by avoiding CD weekend
I just realized that CD is a week later this year. So, by your example I should book now? the rates will get worse when?

I just realized that CD is a week later this year. So, by your example I should book now? the rates will get worse when?
I booked October after I returned from the trip

I booked rpr at $203 + taxes with the stay more save more rate for 7+ night booked stay

I checked the smsm rate the other day and it was higher than my booking rate

Prices will go up and down over the months and will probably raise up some once it is close to summer (late June)

Book your room when you find a price you can live with

Conventions cancel about 60-90 days out and sometimes rates will drop in price so the rooms will fill up then

For me, I book early when I plan on hhn as that main reason for the fall trip

I am tired of Columbus Day crowds that weekend leading into it so switched weeks for my fall trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts