Comment on driving to theme parks

Hawk

DIS Veteran
I have seen many posts regarding the concept of driving to and from the theme parks from offsite. Many have posted that the reduction of E-nights and cancellation of EE days has prompted then to consider staying offsite. It appears that a factor in the decision making process is the difficulty of driving from offsite to the theme parks.

While I don't foresee staying offsite on any future trips, our 2002 trip was the first time driving to WDW and using our vehicle for transportation. We usually fly. So from a person who has done both, here is my "two cents" worth.

First, if you have an AP, PAP or stay onsite - parking is free at all theme parks. Second, we went offsite many times and found it very easy to get around the area and back in to WDW. Frankly, I feel that having a car, while not imperative if staying onsite, is a great advantage.

For those of you having second thoughts about driving, don't worry - its a piece of cake. The roads are marked quite well with plenty of signs!

By the way - we drove from northern Vermont - 31 hours; not as bad as I thought it would be.

Tim.

Hawk - we now always rent a car at the airport even though we stay on site and I agree that driving in the area is easy and things are well marked. We don't drive to MK because the buses drop you off on the other side of TTC and are much more convenient. We always drive to DD and PI and usually to the water parks, or when we're doing a day of 'hopping' where it's easier to have the car - I used to have bad luck (ie: having long waits for buses) at the TTC, so anytime we can't get from place to place without going through TTC, we drive and park.

We have flown quite a few times in the past few years and we always rent a car. It seems that if I get a great rate it is usually only about $70 more then taking another form of transportation from the airport to the hotel for my family of 6. We enjoy the freedom of having our own car....We only tend to drive to AK. We are at BWV so we walk to MGM and Epcot.... And MK you have to park to far away....

I agreee the roads are all marked very well. I have only gotten a little lost trying to find a out of the way place....I always get back to my hotel in one piece.

Even if I stayed on-site (which I don't) I would either have to rent a car or bring my own. I really enjoy getting around to the other things - outside of WDW - and it would drive me nuts if I felt like I was "stuck" in one general area..

Having said that, on our last trip we flew - rented a car - and stayed off-site in a lovely 2 bedroom cottage ( also has a pull-out sofa bed that can sleep 2 as well as a loft that can sleep 2) with a huge deck at the Tropical Palms Resort for only $79 a night.. There's just no comparison between a spacious private cottage and a hotel room or hotel suite and it only took us 5 minutes to get to the parks..

My next planned trip I hope I'll be driving my own vehicle from upstate New York.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter