Companion Restrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dis703

DIS Veteran
Is there anywhere that lists where these are located? I'm traveling alone with my 6 year old next month and he's not the sort of kid I can take my eyes off for even a minute so he has to accompany me to the restroom. But he's also probably hitting that age where other people may not appreciate him being in the ladies room. If the companion restrooms are convenient I thought it would be the best option, but aside from one near Splash Mountain I don't know where the rest of them are.

Are they distinguished on the maps?

TIA!

If you go onto the My Disney Experience app, there is a bathroom heading that pops up all of the bathroom locations. If you click on a bathroom icon it says whether there is a companion restroom at that location.

I don't like to see boys in the ladies' room, but that being said I would have no problem with a six year old well behaved boy. Do what makes you feel most comfortable, but if "nature strikes" when you are not near a companion restroom do not feel bad about it. It's the 10-12 year olds that I prefer not to see in the restrooms.

I don't like to see boys in the ladies' room, but that being said I would have no problem with a six year old well behaved boy. Do what makes you feel most comfortable, but if "nature strikes" when you are not near a companion restroom do not feel bad about it. It's the 10-12 year olds that I prefer not to see in the restrooms.

Over the years I have seen more and more older boys in the woman's restroom. Like you, it's the 9,10,11 year olds that should not be in there. For some reason people think this is OK at WDW. But if a boy that age went into the girl's restroom at school, they would probably call the cops on him now. When my girls were younger (around 8-9) we saw several boys their age in the woman's and it made them very uncomfortable.

Be prepared that you might have a long wait for the Companion Restrooms, especially at MK.
They are used heavily by whole families with elementary school aged children and children in strollers.
We pretty much don’t use the ones in MK because there are often 3 or more groups waiting to use them when we arrive.

Is there anywhere that lists where these are located? I'm traveling alone with my 6 year old next month and he's not the sort of kid I can take my eyes off for even a minute so he has to accompany me to the restroom. But he's also probably hitting that age where other people may not appreciate him being in the ladies room. If the companion restrooms are convenient I thought it would be the best option, but aside from one near Splash Mountain I don't know where the rest of them are.

TIA!

Since the OP states that she can't take her eyes off of him for even a minute, I'm guessing he wouldn't be "well behaved" in a multi-stalled bathroom?

OP - there are bathrooms in the child care centers and first aid centers, I think? that gives you a few more options.

Since the OP states that she can't take her eyes off of him for even a minute, I'm guessing he wouldn't be "well behaved" in a multi-stalled bathroom?

OP - there are bathrooms in the child care centers and first aid centers, I think? that gives you a few more options.

And we stated that we have no issues what so ever with a small child in the woman's restroom. No reason for an 8+ year old to be in the woman's restroom. I guess that is what they made family restrooms for.

TIA!
As others have said just don't plan on using one in a hurry as the wait can be longer than normal as these are known as handicapped restrooms and as such can take person in front of you longer than you expect. Also since you say you can't trust son realize he will be able to open outside door and you might not be able to stop him while doing your business if you know what I mean.

And if you do not HAVE to use the companion rest rooms, please don't. The lines get so long for them. Which means I need to bring my 28 year old son (special needs) into the ladies room. If I do this, I must wait for the largest stall possible and we both need to go in there. Sometimes I prefer the family restroom because he has had a major bathroom disaster, and I need ready access to a sink, and room to change most of his clothing. (and if this happens, we are in there a fairly long time, and you do not want to enter immediately after us :rolleyes1). I have used the First Aid locations for this, wonderful option!

I am not saying do not use them, please use them if you need them. I do not judge people using them, there are many invisible reasons that people need to use them, I am well aware of this. I am also not saying the OP does not need them, either, I cannot know her child's behavior and needs by her post. It is wonderful they have these restrooms, even when I find them at other places like airports, I am so grateful.

And we stated that we have no issues what so ever with a small child in the woman's restroom. No reason for an 8+ year old to be in the woman's restroom. I guess that is what they made family restrooms for.

A 6 year old (kindergarten or first grade) whose parent states that she needs to keep an eye on him at all times or there will be an issue does not fall into the 'small, well behaved' category for me. So I don't know who your 'we' is? Is there some 'we' group that has control over public opinion?

Also, the last time I was at WDW there were no 'family bathrooms' - only companion bathrooms, meant to be saved for those who need assistance from an adult of the opposite sex. They are few and far between.

A 6 year old (kindergarten or first grade) whose parent states that she needs to keep an eye on him at all times or there will be an issue does not fall into the 'small, well behaved' category for me. So I don't know who your 'we' is? Is there some 'we' group that has control over public opinion?

Also, the last time I was at WDW there were no 'family bathrooms' - only companion bathrooms, meant to be saved for those who need assistance from an adult of the opposite sex. They are few and far between.

Frankly I don't know what you are talking about. You were commenting on what arminnie and I said about young kids are fine, but older ones are not. That is the "we" I was talking about. You are just being argumentative for no reason. And there is no law or rule that says that companion bathrooms are ONLY for those who have some medical need. The OP's situation definitely qualifies for using a companion restroom. That is why a lot of them are called family restrooms, the word is interchangeable.

um no. one, 'opposite sex' is not a requirement for aiding someone. two, there is no restricted access to ANY RESTROOM COMPONENT . that means non handicapped people can use the HA stall in the main bathroom if it is their turn and that's the next one that opens up. that ALSO means that the family with 3 kids under 6 who all need to go pee at the same time can use the self contained large restroom where one can be emptying their bladder while another one is washing up and the third is being diaper changed.

I admit to preferring to use the companion restrooms. the turn radius is much easier to handle in my chair with the nice large open floorplan. and yes I have had to wait. and most of the time Its because a family with a large monster sized stroller is in there and at least 2 kids. maybe Mom or Dad was the one that had to use the loo. but you cannot bring a stroller into the regular restrooms, let alone into a stall.

and I never have a problem finding one. so they are not that few and far between.

Frankly I don't know what you are talking about. You were commenting on what arminnie and I said about young kids are fine, but older ones are not. That is the "we" I was talking about. You are just being argumentative for no reason. And there is no law or rule that says that companion bathrooms are ONLY for those who have some medical need. The OP's situation definitely qualifies for using a companion restroom. That is why a lot of them are called family restrooms, the word is interchangeable.

What part about my comment is argumentative for no reason? I was explaining that your comment didn't mesh with what the OP said, and how it wasn't a blanket statement that 'we' were all OK with a kid that might have issues being in a restroom with others. When the parent says the restroom won't work, I believe the parent more than someone who doesn't know the kid.

um no. one, 'opposite sex' is not a requirement for aiding someone. two, there is no restricted access to ANY RESTROOM COMPONENT . that means non handicapped people can use the HA stall in the main bathroom if it is their turn and that's the next one that opens up. that ALSO means that the family with 3 kids under 6 who all need to go pee at the same time can use the self contained large restroom where one can be emptying their bladder while another one is washing up and the third is being diaper changed.

I admit to preferring to use the companion restrooms. the turn radius is much easier to handle in my chair with the nice large open floorplan. and yes I have had to wait. and most of the time Its because a family with a large monster sized stroller is in there and at least 2 kids. maybe Mom or Dad was the one that had to use the loo. but you cannot bring a stroller into the regular restrooms, let alone into a stall.

and I never have a problem finding one. so they are not that few and far between.

Companion restrooms were designed so that people of the opposite sex who need to assist someone with toileting can do so without 'invading' the public gender-limiting restrooms. Even the signs designate it as such:

290-copy.jpg

There is no 'family' in the sign. There is a male figure, a female figure, an accessible icon figure, and the words "companion restroom". Sure, people use them with their packs of kids and giant strollers, but that's not what they were designed for. If they were designed for families, there'd be a family icon on it, and it would say "family restroom'.

I can no longer use the restroom alone and it’s usually my husband who takes me. Just putting it out there that the toilets are the higher ones that a child may have a harder time using.

With a 6 year old, you may be more comfortable using the handicap stall in the regular restroom. They are large enough for both of you and the wait shouldn’t be as long.

This seems to be heading toward the path that most threads about Companion Restrooms end up traveling.
I’m adding a last word before closing.....

What is a Companion Restroom? How is it different than a Family Restroom?
These are large enough for a wheelchair to go into and are set up for people who need assistance in the bathroom (whether or not they have a wheelchair).
  • meet ADA wheelchair accessibility standards for size, space and arrangement of the room.
  • raised seat, wheelchair accessible toilets with grab bars. So, the toilet seat is higher than usual and may be too high for children to use comfortably.
  • NONE of the Companion Restrooms have small, child sized toilets. Baby Care Centers in each park do, if you are looking for one
  • sink
  • a single room with a door that can be locked, so there is no privacy from the other people who are in there with you.
  • almost all have autoflush toilets
  • some have a urinal
  • some have changing tables, but many do not

A few examples of people who need Companion Restrooms:
  • a mother with an older son who is autistic and is too old to comfortably come into the ladies room with her
  • someone who can't walk whose wheelchair doesn't fit into the regular handicapped stalls or doesn't fit into the stall in a way that allows them to transfer (so they can't leave it outside the stall and walk in)
  • someone, like my DD, who needs room for a wheelchair and a helper (we don't fit in many of the regular handicapped stalls)
  • someone, like my DD, who don't do well with all the noise in a regular restroom and need a quieter restroom.
  • a man or woman who has to assist their spouse/SO/person of the opposite sex who has had a stroke or other situation that makes assistance in the restroom necessary
  • someone with a colostomy or other need that makes being in a bathroom with a toilet and a sink necessary
  • and, many other needs that can't all be listed.

The Companion Restroom or handicapped stall are the only toilets some people can use. So, there may be only 4-8 toilets in all of that park that they can use.
Handicapped stalls and Companion Restrooms are made so that people with disabilities are able to use the restroom. They may also be useful or convenient for some people without disabilities. Some people do choose to use them for convenience. But, there are not enough of them to be used that way if everyone who found them convenient used them.
I would like to ask people to consider whether or not they have other options. In some cases, they don't and should be using the Companion Restrooms or the Handicapped Stall. (One example might be a father traveling alone with a young daughter who doesn't feel comfortable bringing her in with him.)
But, please consider whether there are other options before using them for convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter