Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

Yes, I would def. present the food by 30 minutes after the stated 'party time'.
I would not want to let the food become any cooler, or make others wait, because of any late-comers.

I am glad to see that you will be able to bring in some food!
Like I have said, I do hope that you can put together something that works out well!!!

And, yes, perhaps if there is a significant cultural difference, this might be a part of the problem.
This does not change the fact that, from the info you posted, that this whole thing sounded unreasonable.
But, it does help to explain.
I am with a couple of other posters whom you seem to have had a very defensive response to.

So, after reading your one post in response to mine, asking about budget....
You also had a negative and defensive to my post, and there have been others, requesting some kind of budget.
You can not come and ask strangers for advice, giving no budget guidelines at all, or, only... "inexpensive, cheap, free", and not expect the appropriate responses.
Which, is how you did begin this thread.

Budget is an important factor. Whether one wants advice on a menu, a resort to choose for a vacation trip, Christmas gifts... whatever.
It just is.
And, I feel you had no cause to try to 'call me out', for saying it might be helpful to please do let us know what type of budget you might come up with. Even after you has posted that you be talking with your boss soon about these details. (All while being negative to those of us here, and 'protective' of you boss.

Sorry, having said all of that.
I am glad that some plans are coming together.
And, I really and truly do hope that this all works out well !

I am still confused over where you get me being defensive of my boss. All ideas, other than the date, have been mine. If I was being defensive, it was because I felt I being attacked.

My original question wasn’t budget related it was about expectations at such an event. Getting input “from strangers” allowed me put together a plan and expected expense for approval. I knew my boss would never just give me a budget amount. Not everyone works with a budget. Some of us work with this is what we can do for X this is what we can do for Y. Some, like my boss, feel if you give someone Z to spend they will spend it, even if they could have done it for X. Not defending his position, only explaining it.

Anyway. Thank you to all who gave input. I appreciate it.

AAANNNDDD...the Disboards Overactive Imagination Award goes to...

You are trying to be TOO nice.
Your defense of this situation makes me begin to wonder what relationship that you actually have with your boss (Family, Friend, Other....)

"He would like US to do a hoiday party...."
The language and semantics here say it all.

Did you say that your 'boss' is vegan/vetarian, and that you live with one....

I never said or implied 'inappropriate'.
I had actually mentioned earlier (Family, Friend, Other....) never inappropriate.
But, I will admit to wondering why you seemed to be so defensive/protective of your boss in this situation.
Sorry!!!

All while being negative to those of us here, and 'protective' of you boss.

Send around a list of when people want to bring. That way you don't just get chips. For our Christmas lunch at work, the supervisor would each donate a sum of money to purchase smaller gifts for all the employees (they would draw names afterwards and people would pick out a wrapped gift). Some of the employees would donate turkeys (I usually bought two) and other employees would fry or roast them (just needed to get them to the cookers at least a week ahead of time). Some employees would bring dressing, desserts, potatoes, gravy, anything you could imagine. It was an annual thing and everyone looked forward to it. No one was out a lot of money. We had about 75 employees, plus we usually invited the retirees as well. The retirees loved seeing the place and the people each year. Many of the retirees would bring their wives, too (we had mostly male employees).

What type of main dish(es) would you expect at a Company Potluck?

The facility we are having it at does not have a kitchen, so any food prep would have to be done at home (my house). I am the first to admit that I am not much of a cook. So my initial thought is Spaghetti, with frozen meatballs (on the side), salad and rolls. All is cheap & easy.

How about having the company pay for some catered stuff? In my area all the delis do pans of pasta, chicken, salad, etc. The good thing about it is that the company won't have to worry about the cleanliness of someones kitchen, a lot of people don't like eating at potlucks because of the unknown... and the subsequent liability if people get sick. The delis all have commercial kitchens, know how to follow food safety guidelines, etc. And it's EASIER

How is Turkey/Ham, cranberry sauce & 3 sides (potatoes, stuffing, veggie) not a full meal? Explain that to me. Cost is $75 and serves 6 - 8 people. We would likely need 10 "meals" which is $750. If we are conservative we could do 8 and it is still $600.

I am not sure why you are calling me a liar.

the 'not a full meal' comment was that you (the employer) are not looking to provide a 'full meal' because this is a potluck, What you want to get a price quote for is just a main. The ham only, or turkeys or lasagnas, or whatever, not including sides...the sides will come from the 'pot luck' that the employees are bringing. Tell the catering company you want to skip the cranberry sauce and three sides, just the turkey.

Instead of spaghetti and meatballs or turkeys or whatever, how about just calling a pizzeria and getting a boatload of pizzas brought in? Pizza is a cheap way to feed a crowd, easy to eat while mingling, and who doesn't love pizza?

Overactive imagination???
Really???
That is just too funny!!!!!
Since we are going to get into putting out quotes...
Here are just a choice few.

That is the thing cost IS a factor. We haven't had a party the last few years because of the cost. We want to do something but If we can't do it inexpensively, it is like we won't do it at all.

Followed by THIS: Again using the word 'we' to refer to the company/boss.
No one is FORCING you to attend. Thankfully, we are not that type of company, where if you don't show it will look bad for you. So just count yourself as being uninvited. ;)

Followed by THIS: with almost/over 30 likes.
Clearly, I was not the only one questioning the situation. Many others, at that time.
Maybe I'm a bit grinchy, but don't make me (the employee) shop, cook, and transport food so you (the company) can take credit for throwing us a holiday party. Really all you've done is create more work for me. Either actually host a party for the employees or just nix the party and give them a half day instead. Personally, I'd appreciate the latter much more.

Then, followed by THIS: where, instead of 'we, it is now described as 'the boss - being FIRM. No mention of everything being the OP's idea. This seems to refer to both the DATE and the MENU.
I really wish I could. My boss is pretty firm on the date. I would honestly, rather it not be a "dinner" but a simpler gathering with appetizers & snacks.

Followed by THIS: Where, after posting the assumption that she would be cooking (spaghetti) the OP admits that it is not her desire (idea) to cook for this number of people.
Plus, still no mention of a budget other than cheap/inexpensive/free.
Yes the company will be buying any / all food that is not provided by those attending the pot luck. I will be picking it up, preparing and bringing it in. Honestly, I would rather not cook for 60 people.
We are in a period of restructuring (hence the limited budget) and only have one person who I would call "upper management" and 5 others who are management. I am management and honestly NOT willing to pay for this. I am already giving my time ( likely 5+ hours after normal working hours) that is enough. I would much rather take a small budget buy appetizers / snacks have the party from 4 - 6 and send everyone home for dinner.

Followed by THIS: which really says it all.... actually states, and admits "The BOSSES idea....."
Again, an incredible amount of confusion and lack of clarity here between the OP, and the boss.
The bosses reason for having this get together is to say thank you ...

After which I actually posted that trying to do this, which seemed to be to try to make something out of nothing... (for the boss) I actually posted that I thought the OP was trying to be too nice.

Then THIS: which is total and complete contradiction to earlier statements (lie) about the party... Boss is firm on date, etc...
Other than saying hey let's think about putting together a holiday party it hasn't been discussed.

Then THIS: This little gem where she does admit that, indeed this is up to the boss... (not her idea/doing)
In the end it is not my call on what is done. I only get to "work the magic" and make it happen once everything is finalized.

At this point, after all of the huge contradictions and confusion, the OP has posted about feeling that she is being called a liar????

And, after seeming to refuse to admit that the bosses expectations might not be realistic or appropriate... (just being very defensive about the situation) Others begin to openly wonder if cultural differences might be some kind of explanation for the whole thing.

Again, sorry folks... but I don't think there is much left to the imagination here.

Last edited:
There is going to be a sign up sheet and department managers will poll their employees to see which date works best for planning on coming. He even suggest the 23rd, Saturday. Which I said absolutely NO. He seems to think it should be as close to Christmas as possible. I am not sure why.

Going in I know that at least 1/3 of the employees won't come. They never do.

It sounds almost like he's trying to get employees not to come. I'd bet that your attendance on Sat. 23rd would be almost zero.

Since you have plenty of drink, I would do a 5 pm Happy Hour with Heavy snacks. Chips and salsa, chips and guac, cheese trays, meat trays, etc...

I agree, OP !!!!!!!
Thanks for saying that!!!!
Huge dead horse here.

But, I just decided I didn't want to let that huge and un-necessary (and against board policy) personal attack, by one other poster, to go unanswered.

Sorry!!!!!

I really and truly do hope that your party/event goes really well!!!!!!

Overactive imagination???
Really???
That is just too funny!!!!!
Since we are going to get into putting out quotes...
Here are just a choice few.

Followed by THIS: Again using the word 'we' to refer to the company/boss.

Followed by THIS: with almost/over 30 likes.
Clearly, I was not the only one questioning the situation. Many others, at that time.

Then, followed by THIS: where, instead of 'we, it is now described as 'the boss - being FIRM. No mention of everything being the OP's idea. This seems to refer to both the DATE and the MENU.

Followed by THIS: Where, after posting the assumption that she would be cooking (spaghetti) the OP admits that it is not her desire (idea) to cook for this number of people.
Plus, still no mention of a budget other than cheap/inexpensive/free.

Followed by THIS: which really says it all.... actually states, and admits "The BOSSES idea....."
Again, an incredible amount of confusion and lack of clarity here between the OP, and the boss.

After which I actually posted that trying to do this, which seemed to be to try to make something out of nothing... (for the boss) I actually posted that I thought the OP was trying to be too nice.

Then THIS: which is total and complete contradiction to earlier statements (lie) about the party... Boss is firm on date, etc...

Then THIS: This little gem where she does admit that, indeed this is up to the boss... (not her idea/doing)

At this point, after all of the huge contradictions and confusion, the OP has posted about feeling that she is being called a liar????

And, after seeming to refuse to admit that the bosses expectations might not be realistic or appropriate... (just being very defensive about the situation) Others begin to openly wonder if cultural differences might be some kind of explanation for the whole thing.

Again, sorry folks... but I don't think there is much left to the imagination here.

Ok at this point she had decided what they are doing and I assume the plans are in the works but I just have to ask--what on earth are you trying to say?

What difference does it make if she refers to her place of employment as "we"? She obviously works closely with her boss and a large part of the decisions we're up to her. So it is "we". I tend to refer to my work the same way. I honestly don't understand what you are trying to say.

OP I do hope your event goes well and the employees enjoy it.

I don't think people are suggesting calling a caterer because we didn't read the thread, but because we're gently trying to suggest other options that might be better than the spaghetti, salad, and bread that the OP is preparing.

Agree. I'm suggesting a caterer because the current plan is something that I wouldn't care to go to or be in charge of. Spaghetti dinner is not what I would want with craft beer and I love craft beer.

Yes the company will be buying any / all food that is not provided by those attending the pot luck. I will be picking it up, preparing and bringing it in. Honestly, I would rather not cook for 60 people.

We are in a period of restructuring (hence the limited budget) and only have one person who I would call "upper management" and 5 others who are management. I am management and honestly NOT willing to pay for this. I am already giving my time ( likely 5+ hours after normal working hours) that is enough. I would much rather take a small budget buy appetizers / snacks have the party from 4 - 6 and send everyone home for dinner.

I don't think that you should pay for it. Whomever is in charge should tell you the budget and then I would hire someone- even just a nice grocer to put together charcuterie trays. Tell the boss that if the budget doesn't cover dinner, then the party needs to be more of a Happy Hour.

Yes they get to socialize, drink , eat, etc (if they choose, again if they don't want to attend they don't have to). Yes, it is after hours and likely on a day where most the employees haven't even worked. I get to WORK the entire time. Guess who gets to serve everyone the entire party? Who has to shop, set it all up, etc. After everyone leave guess who gets to clean up the mess they left behind? Yep ME! I would much rather get to drink a few beers, eat some food, socialize with co-workers etc.

I have been happy that we haven't done this the last couple years. It is always way more work than fun for me, even when I didn't have the burden of having to figure out the food on a very limited budget.

The whole thing seems super unfair to you. Have you already offered to cook? If not, don't!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!