compare the walking please

ksl5f123

DIS Veteran
Could someone compare the amount of walking you do at Universal to that at Disney? We are a party of 7 (me, DH, 13yo, 11yo, 9yo, 3 days shy of 5 yo, and 2 days shy of 1 yo). I am trying to decide if I want to bring one or two strollers. The almost 5yo has a genetic disorder that makes him tire faster than most children. He does OK at a smallish park like Hollywood Studios, but would never make it a whole day at Epcot. We are going at the end of this month and it might be too hot to wear the baby very much. I am leaning toward 2 strollers, but wanted other opinions. We do not have park-to-park tickets (if that matters).

See below for park sizes:

MK 107 acres.
HS 135 acres.
IOA 110 acres.
US 125 acres.

IOA is laid out very similar to MK in that it is a loop and is about the same size acreage wise. One loop around at IOA does seem much shorter than one loop at MK. This is because the path at IOA is more circular and more direct than at MK. However, you can't cut across the middle of it it like you can at MK, so back tracking can end up making you feel like you've walked the same as MK or more. Also, many of the attractions seem like they are spread farther apart than at MK which always makes me feel like I'm walking longer when we go farther at one time.

US is similar in size and layout to Hollywood Studios. The attractions are also closer together which helps to make you feel like you aren't walking as much.

Of the two, IOA seems larger with more walking despite having less acreage.

In general, I feel like I walk about the same as when I visit the two Disney parks listed above. If you factor in that we park hop a lot, leave and visit Citywalk for meals, and make trips to and from our resort hotel, we actually walk much more at Universal than at Disney. At Disney, a trip back to the hotel or to DTD for a meal would take a bus or car ride, but at Universal, it is usually only a quick 5 to 15 minute walk, so we do it often.

If only to to minimize the walking, you might want to reconsider the "hoppers". One of the best ways to minimize walking is taking the train at the back of the park to the other park. The walk to the back of both parks is the longest walk. If you are already back there, you could switch to the other park and hit all the stuff in the back of the second park as well. This way you would only have to walk to the back once, instead of twice. You could do half of IOA, take the train across to US, hit the stuff in the back, take the train back, and finish out IOA. Then, the next day do anything toward the front of IOA you missed, and only the front of US.

Last edited:
Agreed with the above assessment. We logged mileage for each of our last Disney and Universal trips. Seems to be about 8-10 miles a day no matter which side we were on.

Two strollers. At that age we were only going to Disneyland resort, but we used the stroller for my typical kid all through the age of 5. We didn't use a stroller at home other than the jogger when I went jogging, but we had the Disney stroller specifically for Disney. I'm not capable (apparently) of slowing down, so we had to get him up to speed by using wheels. :)

I consider universal to be similar-ish to Disneyland.

So yep, stroller for him.

While I've never compared acreage or actual park sizes, I can say with certainty we aren't any less tired at the Universal parks than the Disney parks. It's just a matter of being on our feet for 8 hours . It all feels the same to us at the end of the day. I would go with the stroller.

I can tell you that Universal FEELS much bigger in terms of walking. The big difference for me is that you have a LONG walk from the cars to the park gates at the beginning AND the end of the day. Yes there are moving walkways, but once you get to CityWalk, it's a Walk! Disney has the tram system to take you to the gate from your car, and that is a HUGE plus at the end of the day!

I agree that the best way to do Universal is using the Hogwarts Express to get from park to park (because they put both Wizarding Worlds the farthest attractions from both front gates!), but that also depends on what you want to do in both parks. If you are going to be going in a loop around both parks anyway, you are going to be hoofing it!

In conclusion, although the acreage may be the same, I still feel that at the end of the day I am always more walked out after Universal visits.

I always feel much more exhausted at WDW....but then I realized we parkhop, 2-4 parks a day.....:tigger: The train does help going back and forth.

I can tell you that Universal FEELS much bigger in terms of walking. The big difference for me is that you have a LONG walk from the cars to the park gates at the beginning AND the end of the day. Yes there are moving walkways, but once you get to CityWalk, it's a Walk! Disney has the tram system to take you to the gate from your car, and that is a HUGE plus at the end of the day!

I agree that the best way to do Universal is using the Hogwarts Express to get from park to park (because they put both Wizarding Worlds the farthest attractions from both front gates!), but that also depends on what you want to do in both parks. If you are going to be going in a loop around both parks anyway, you are going to be hoofing it!

In conclusion, although the acreage may be the same, I still feel that at the end of the day I am always more walked out after Universal visits.

I totally agree. I'm sure there are ways to lessen the walk through staying on-site or paying more for parking, but, CityWalk just destroyed us. Yes there is a lot of walking in the parks but they are generally short stints where you get rewarded with a ride or attraction. The long, uninterrupted and hot walk just to reach the long and hot moving walkways is a terrible way to end the day

For me I find that my feet kill me more at Disney than at Universal/Islands. I think because I feel like there is more to do at Disney and only a handful of rides at Uni and IOA. So for us we have a much shorter day at those parks compared to Disney. Also we've always had relatively shorter lines at universal than disney.

I can agree with most of the posts in this thread. To me, Universal feels more compact, but it certainly helps to stay onsite. The Universal hotels are closer to the parks than any Disney hotels. For us, it is the steps that tire us as much as the steps/wait combo that tires us. Less waiting in line= less tired.

PLAN A touring: Within the parks though, as has kind of been suggested, it really depends on the choices you make within each park. Many folks start their Universal days with Harry Potter, and more or less, both HP lands are located towards the back of the parks. From there, they head to the other headliners.

PLAN B touring: If you don't go to HP, then the closest rides are much closer to the front gate at US than they are at MK. But early in the day rides close to the front gate of any theme park tend to be pretty busy. The two hot spots are the front rides and the e-rides.

MOST guests either follow a PLAN A (headliners!) style touring or a PLAN B ("minimal walking") style touring. if you do either A or B, you often end up end up following the herd all day, which = waiting in the longest lines and more standing.

Your best bet is a hybrid. Start with the HP headliner, but quickly leave the HP area after that one ride, so you aren't following the masses. So, a little more walking can equal cumulatively a lot less waiting.

Express Pass also helps on busy days.

The walk from RP to the front of the park is brutal though and the boats take too long. We ended up taking one of the jitney bikes waiting on the path.

This must definitely be a matter of opinion, because we don't find the walk from RP to be bad at all! No offense meant to anyone who thinks it is... just wanting to clarify that not everyone feels that way! :-)

After a quite a few visits, we also generally find the Universal boats quite frequent. If you leave the park at closing, then walking to RP beats the boats at US, but much of the day the opposite is true.

Comparatively, that isn't typically the case with the boats on the Boardwalk/BC/Swan/HS/Epcot lagoon at WDW. The boat from the Swan to HS often beats walking, but mostly brisk walking beats any other combo along that route.

OP, I'd say US is more like HS than Epcot, but as I said earlier, it REALLY depends how you decide to tour the parks.

One way to minimize the situation is to stay onsite at one of the deluxe hotels for the Express Pass perk, even one night would be helpful.

This time of year, it is also wise to mention FL heat. Hot afternoon heat can quickly zap anyone who isn't drinking enough water.

Looked at my app for trip earlier this month. Staying onsite @ U, we were more than 2/3rd less steps under lowest WDW park day (MGM).

This must definitely be a matter of opinion, because we don't find the walk from RP to be bad at all! No offense meant to anyone who thinks it is... just wanting to clarify that not everyone feels that way! :-)

Absolutely!

Takes us 7 minutes max to walk from RP to the gate of IOA........and we don't rush......wouldn't call that a long walk at all.

Never waited long for a boat either. Maybe at peak times you may have to wait for the next one, but it's never long. At least in our experience. Boats are very regular.

You're on your feet all day long either way. I've never felt "more tired" at either Disney or Universal.

Just got back and checked my fitbit

Sunday July 16 - Universal Studios (stayed at Royal Pacific but walked from hotel to park and back at night) noon to 10pm, with dinner at Margaritaville: 9.06 miles
Monday July 17 - Islands of Adventure (again walk to and from Royal Pacific) 8:00am to 5:45pm, with dinner at T-Rex at Disney Springs (so some walking there). 8.57 miles
Tuesday, July 18 - Magic Kingdom (walked from Simba parking and back to Simba parking at end of day, no tram) 8:00am to 10:00pm (didn't get to car until 11:30pm, ugh): 8.79 miles.

So even if you don't trust the mileage as calculated by fitbit, all three days were within a half a mile of each other, so no major difference.

personally, US and IoA both feel like less walking than disney, even though they're technically bigger. everything's generally closer together. as mentioned before IoA is spread around a lake; there's less overall mileage, but backtracking feels longer since you can't cut across the hub. basically, imagine the world showcase cut off into its own park and you've got a good idea. US is more comparable to hollywood studios, but it's a lot more compact with more to do, so it never feels like you're walking too much. the walk back through citywalk to get the moving walkways can be a pain, though... i think bringing both strollers would be your best bet

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter