CONFIRMED - Illuminations replacement

Sorry if I'm missing this info:

In May 2020, there will be a new show at Epcot replacing Illuminations, but this will be a temporary show until a bigger show debuts at another time?

thanks!

I believe the temporary show starts the night after the last illuminations, with a permanent replacement at a later date.

I guess I'll have to take some photos with Illuminations as the background for the photo album since it will be gone.

Sorry if I'm missing this info:

In May 2020, there will be a new show at Epcot replacing Illuminations, but this will be a temporary show until a bigger show debuts at another time?

thanks!

To be honest they haven't said exactly when the permanent show will come in other than "2020" - so in May it could still be the temporary show or could be the new, bigger, permanent show (if I had to pet I would say May would still be temporary, but I wound't wager a lot of money on that)

I'm being so schmaltzy tonight. Since our next trip is official, I'm amusing myself tonight by listening to theme park music in the background. I hear Illuminations come on and by the end when the music swells I got all choked up!

Mickey and I (guy in avatar) saw it on our first trip together to Disney in 2000. My dad saw it a few times on their (him and mom) own and then we went again as a family in 2011 and he spoke about how much he loved it. He was 72 that year and he said it would be the last time he saw Illuminations (only because he said he was done going to Disney).

He's now 80 and I'm trying to convince to come with us next year to see the new show! :)

Just speculation on my part but, as a fireworks lover, I'm looking forward to the replacement. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wishes and now love HEA. The new show will probably contain some of the same technology as HEA which would mean the construction of a replacement of some sort screen/globe which will be under construction and not in use until the new show starts in 2020. So what does that leave as a replacement. Fireworks! They can be shot off from different places and have the flexibility to change nightly around construction.

So, although I'll miss Illuminations, I'm sure I'll enjoy both the replacement and the new show.

PS does anyone know when Illuminations first debuted? I would swear it was there in 1992 on my honeymoon but maybe it was something else.

Last edited:
Just speculation on my part but, as a fireworks lover, I'm looking forward to the replacement. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wishes and now love HEA. The new show will probably contain some of the same technology as HEA which would mean the construction of a replacement of some sort screen/globe which will be under construction and not in use until the new show starts in 2020. So what does that leave as a replacement. Fireworks! They can be shot off from different places and have the flexibility to change nightly around construction.

So, although I'll miss Illuminations, I'm sure I'll both the replacement and the new show.

PS does anyone know when Illuminations first debuted? I would swear it was there in 1992 on my honeymoon but maybe it was something else.

October 1999. It was near brand new when we went in 2000. They also had the Tapestry of Nations parade that year.

There was a show called Illuminations that started in the late 80’s, and morphed through different versions, until the ROE version we have now. So you wouldn’t be incorrect regarding the name, but it wasn’t the same show you see today.

We have so many memories while watching Illuminations. It is just so nice to sit as a family after a long day and relax together. The show added greatly to the atmosphere. We look forward to the new show.

Stalking this thread now that Star Wars has been announced for end of summer. I want to take a short extra trip down for the end of Illuminations but I need to know the dates. Hopefully rooms won’t be full because of Star Wars

I was on the site a little while ago out of curiosity and every room is booked around the end of September!

I was just on there too. I'm DVC so it didn't matter to me but I was curious. I had to play around with it a little but there is availability. It just defaults to show all the discounted rooms are gone.

I was just on there too. I'm DVC so it didn't matter to me but I was curious. I had to play around with it a little but there is availability. It just defaults to show all the discounted rooms are gone.

Ok, I must be crazy. I looked 5 minutes ago for all rates and there was nothing except campsites. Looked again and there is availability.

Either I screwed up or the site glitched. Thank you! Will edit my post.

Hey guys, any new information?

This whole SWGE release has really stressed us out. We've been holding a POR reservation for 9/27 to 10/4 we're probably going to have to cancel now because the flights are suddenly way out of budget. The only reason we haven't yet is because we'll never forgive ourselves if we give it up and end up missing the switchover from Illuminations to Epcot Forever.

Matt

This whole SWGE release has really stressed us out. We've been holding a POR reservation for 9/27 to 10/4 we're probably going to have to cancel now because the flights are suddenly way out of budget. The only reason we haven't yet is because we'll never forgive ourselves if we give it up and end up missing the switchover from Illuminations to Epcot Forever.

Matt
Nothing new yet.

Matt
I am in the same situation. No flights booked either. And if they move the final date up from 9/30 there isn't a chance in heck we would be able to switch a room now. My only hope is that people are still booking the Illuminations dinner package into early-mid September. But come on Disney, hurry up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter