Considering doing an Adventures by Disney for first time

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I was wondering if someone could help me make a decision if Adventures by Disney would be right for me and my husband. I love all things Disney, go to Disney World and Disney cruises a lot. The Adventures by Disney interest me, although a little sticker shock with the cost.

I'm specifically looking at a week trip in Italy that is adult only starts in Rome ends in Venice. I've been to all these places, my Husband never has been to Italy before. He's a bit shy around people he doesn't know, when it mentions a meal is included does everyone sit at a table together for that meal? Is it a lot of forced interaction with other people in the group?

I've done cruise excursions and never talked to anyone else in the group except who I'm there with and enjoyed that a lot, would this be kind of the opposite since you're with the same group of people for the whole week? If we don't want to socialize with everyone will this be frowned upon? I'm a bit more outgoing than him and don't want to put him into an awkward situation. I really like the itinerary, just not sure if this would be the right way for us to travel or not.

I was wondering if someone could help me make a decision if Adventures by Disney would be right for me and my husband. I love all things Disney, go to Disney World and Disney cruises a lot. The Adventures by Disney interest me, although a little sticker shock with the cost.

I'm specifically looking at a week trip in Italy that is adult only starts in Rome ends in Venice. I've been to all these places, my Husband never has been to Italy before. He's a bit shy around people he doesn't know, when it mentions a meal is included does everyone sit at a table together for that meal? Is it a lot of forced interaction with other people in the group?

I've done cruise excursions and never talked to anyone else in the group except who I'm there with and enjoyed that a lot, would this be kind of the opposite since you're with the same group of people for the whole week? If we don't want to socialize with everyone will this be frowned upon? I'm a bit more outgoing than him and don't want to put him into an awkward situation. I really like the itinerary, just not sure if this would be the right way for us to travel or not.

You sound like me. I had the same fears and sticker shock as well. I’ve now completed 10 ABD trips and number 11 is booked for 2019. I found that there is common ground with a love for Disney among most in the group. Each group is different but most wind up feeling like family and friends by the end and keep in touch. The guides are great at making everyone feel comfortable in the group.

We did the Italy trip (family) this last June. I think only one of the included meals was at a big long table. Most of the rest were smaller tables with groups of 4 or 6. You will not be seated with just the 2 of you. There will not be any forced interaction but you will spend a lot of time with each other, on the bus, pasta making, etc. OYO time you can take off and do whatever you would like. It was a fantastic itinerary. We went 2 days early and hired a private car tour to take us to Vesuvius and Pompeii ahead of time.

Full disclosure, I've not done an ABD, but I am much like your husband. I really don't like forced conversations with people and am quite happy by myself in my general life. I have done a couple of other group tours with another company though, and I find myself downright chatty with people. It's shocking even to me. I think that the shared experiences and camaraderie make it much easier to drop into conversations with fellow travelers. It's also interesting to talk to people that have at least a common interest in travel. Just asking where their last trip was usually keeps the conversation going. I suspect your husband will be fine. I'm sure there is enough OYO time that he can recharge as well.

We've done 7 ABD trips, with # 8 starting in just a few days. We've done the Rome/Florence/Venice trip you are considering and really, really enjoyed it. Good way for your husband to be exposed to Italy.

As far as eating goes, it just depends on the venue. Some places have small tables. Some have large, communal tables. You'll likely have both on that trip. Your husband won't be the only shy person on the trip. We've found that with ABD after the first day or two you are no longer a group of strangers, but instead are a group of people with similar interests having a great time.

Thanks! This makes me a feel a lot better. I always feel like I'm forcing him to be a lot more sociable than he is because I'm really outgoing. I don't want to torture him lol

The first ABD we went on was the Rome/Florence/Venice "Viva Italia" trip you are considering. It is a spectacular trip.

But you are with the same group of 30-40 people for an entire week, and yes, during the provided meals the group is generally sitting together. A few times that is at a big communal table (see image) and other times spread across a couple of tables. But other than breakfast, we were almost always seated with another family or a bunch of other people. And that tends to lead to conversations with the other guests.

SVcMiLp.jpg

If that isn't what you want, then maybe an ABD river cruise is a better fit for you. We took the Rhine cruise this summer. There were around 150 people and it was closer to a Disney Cruise than the Italy ABD. Most meals we ate at a table by ourselves, and on the excursions you generally didn't have to engage in conversations with others. It is less intimate since the group is much larger.

I enjoyed both types of trips. But they are different in terms of intimacy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter