Considering purchasing Riviera direct or a resale somewhere else (BWV most likely) Help!

egrzesiowski

Earning My Ears
Hi!
We just stayed at the Boardwalk last week with rented points and loved our stay. We did the DVC presentation for the $200 gift card and are now seriously considering purchasing a DVC contract. The only direct contract that interests us is Riviera. We are a family of 5 so we need a studio to fit 5 and we love that the 1 bedroom at Riviera also sleeps 5. We loved the location of boardwalk, but were leaning towards a newer contract that would be longer. I did look into resale contracts and found that we can save a lot of money, but we would never be able to stay at Riviera or Disneyland Villas or any potential new DVC resorts. I also don't like that the Riviera resale contracts can only stay there, so that is not an option. With the new Poly tower coming soon I was curious if people think that might drive the cost down for Riviera? we will likely be going to disney 1 time a year or every other year. We are only looking at 150 points as that is all we can afford. I feel like from reading in different places online that not many people buy direct, but the restrictions seem bad if we don't and have interest in the newer resorts? But my guide wouldn't confirm that we can book all future resorts so i guess there is a chance new ones are built and they exclude older contracts? Just looking for some feedback on buying direct at Riviera and best times to buy if there are any.
Thank you!

Hi!
We just stayed at the Boardwalk last week with rented points and loved our stay. We did the DVC presentation for the $200 gift card and are now seriously considering purchasing a DVC contract. The only direct contract that interests us is Riviera. We are a family of 5 so we need a studio to fit 5 and we love that the 1 bedroom at Riviera also sleeps 5. We loved the location of boardwalk, but were leaning towards a newer contract that would be longer. I did look into resale contracts and found that we can save a lot of money, but we would never be able to stay at Riviera or Disneyland Villas or any potential new DVC resorts. I also don't like that the Riviera resale contracts can only stay there, so that is not an option. With the new Poly tower coming soon I was curious if people think that might drive the cost down for Riviera? we will likely be going to disney 1 time a year or every other year. We are only looking at 150 points as that is all we can afford. I feel like from reading in different places online that not many people buy direct, but the restrictions seem bad if we don't and have interest in the newer resorts? But my guide wouldn't confirm that we can book all future resorts so i guess there is a chance new ones are built and they exclude older contracts? Just looking for some feedback on buying direct at Riviera and best times to buy if there are any.
Thank you!
We have 4 resale contracts, BRV, AKV and SSR. When it came time for our RIV purchase, we went direct. We didn’t want the restrictions and missing out on staying at future resorts. We started with 50 but then added on another 100 so we have blue card benefits. No regrets at all, love our resale/direct combo!

There are some pretty good incentives out now so if your timeline works…

Hi!
Thank you!
This was me 4 years ago. This was pre-covid and we tripped over to Riviera to check it out when we were vacationing in Disney. It was brand new, we did the tour. The deal then was I think 195 a point and to be honest I was close to pulling the trigger. There was some sort of incentive but I can't remember what it was. My wife has since stayed at Riviera twice with her best girlfriends and loves it so much.

This year I bought two contracts (resales) for SAP purposes for her but I like the home resort alot(SSR). We put a Poly under contract that is waiting on ROFR at this moment. When its all said and done, my wife is still going to want one at Riviera. However in my mind I will have almost 400 points for marginally less than what we would have paid for 200 points at Riviera. I cannot stomach buying a resale there that I have no hope of reselling if something should change and is limited in use.

I don't see a reason that Riviera will get better deals direct going forward. Each year they have less incentive to do so. If you have tried the other resorts and they just don't do it then you should buy Riviera. However 150 points doesn't seem like it will go very far unless you get the right use year for your vacation purposes. I wish you luck because its so tough to decide what is right for you and your family. I can't say that my wife and I see eye to eye on all of what we have done but we go so often we had to do something to help with the costs.

It sounds like Direct is reasonable for what you want to do (and so far, I'm all resale but may add a small Direct). With a family of 5 maybe consider the additional cost to buy 50/50/50 (if you have 3 kids - but I'm assuming a lot lol - but 50 point contracts ARE easier to sell) instead of just 150 - if you sell off some, you'd lose some perks - but still should have the ability to stay at any new resorts with any of your Direct points. (I say "should" because Disney tends to build in a lot of flexibility in their contracts, to their own benefit).

Maybe someone on here has a good theory for Poly sales timeframes, since when VGF-2 was selling there were some nice incentives but not sure they all translated to "deals" at Riviera? Hopefully, someone can answer that for you.

If you decide to go for Riviera, I would wait until the last few days of the current incentive period (expires June 24th). They typically immediately release new incentives right after, and then you would still be within your ten day period to rescind and have the new contract written up at the better incentives (if they happen). Allows you to compare both at once.

If you decide to go for Riviera, I would wait until the last few days of the current incentive period (expires June 24th). They typically immediately release new incentives right after, and then you would still be within your ten day period to rescind and have the new contract written up at the better incentives (if they happen). Allows you to compare both at once.
I had no idea this was an option! So there is a 10 day period when you can be totally sold, but if new incentives come out that are better we can pull out and decide to buy with those?

It sounds like Direct is reasonable for what you want to do (and so far, I'm all resale but may add a small Direct). With a family of 5 maybe consider the additional cost to buy 50/50/50 (if you have 3 kids - but I'm assuming a lot lol - but 50 point contracts ARE easier to sell) instead of just 150 - if you sell off some, you'd lose some perks - but still should have the ability to stay at any new resorts with any of your Direct points. (I say "should" because Disney tends to build in a lot of flexibility in their contracts, to their own benefit).

Maybe someone on here has a good theory for Poly sales timeframes, since when VGF-2 was selling there were some nice incentives but not sure they all translated to "deals" at Riviera? Hopefully, someone can answer that for you.
This, I second the splitting the contracts. However if you are totally new to DVC you must buy one contract at the minimum size which is currently 100. So you can split to 100/50

I'm similar to you. Family of 5. We bought RIV at 150 points direct back in Oct. and don't regret it at all. Stayed in a 1br the first week of April and love it. The Skyliner is such a huge benefit. We are staying at Poly in Oct and wouldn't be able to if we bought RIV resale. My advice would be if you really want RIV, go direct. I will say that the incentives that we had last summer are better than they are now. Maybe wait until those summer incentives come through. Good luck!

I feel like from reading in different places online that not many people buy direct
The large majority of people buy direct and have no clue that resale is even a thing.

I own both resale and Direct. I would never buy Riviera resale, but I also hate Riviera so I'm not the best example.

I would also never buy a 2042 resort, resale or direct. The value is extremely poor.

Riviera resale and 2042 resorts are similar in that if you buy them, you better love that resort and want to use your points there. Only then are they worth it. Or maybe a small Riviera resale add-on if you have only resale points and want to stay at RIV every once in a while. Otherwise it would make much more sense to buy Riviera direct for the flexibility or a different resale contract with a longer expiration for more value

Hi!
Thank you!
The “official” price down? No. But they run decent incentives from time to time. Last year VGF got all the attention during the summer with great incentives, but Riviera was just slightly higher. I added 150 points during that time.

You might get the impression that not many people buy direct after reading these forums, but it’s the opposite. The overwhelming majority of people buy direct for one reason or another. Most people don’t even know about restrictions.

This, I second the splitting the contracts. However if you are totally new to DVC you must buy one contract at the minimum size which is currently 100. So you can split to 100/50
but do you get the perks of being at 150? so would i get a blue card? or do you only get it if you buy one 150 contract?

Riviera resale and 2042 resorts are similar in that if you buy them, you better love that resort and want to use your points there. Only then are they worth it. Or maybe a small Riviera resale add-on if you have only resale points and want to stay at RIV every once in a while. Otherwise it would make much more sense to buy Riviera direct for the flexibility or a different resale contract with a longer expiration for more value
Thanks! I don't think i worded my question well. I would buy direct riviera or resale somewhere else Like boardwalk.

Thanks! I don't think i worded my question well. I would buy direct riviera or resale somewhere else Like boardwalk.
For Epcot resorts, Boardwalk gives you the lowest buy in and shortest contract length. So it's cheaper up front, but a worse value. Riviera direct costs more up front, but lasts for much longer and is much more flexible, and will give you direct benefits if you get at least 150 points. Right now the incentives are much better if you get 250 or 300 points, but that is a much bigger buy in price

Last edited:
I'm similar to you. Family of 5. We bought RIV at 150 points direct back in Oct. and don't regret it at all. Stayed in a 1br the first week of April and love it. The Skyliner is such a huge benefit. We are staying at Poly in Oct and wouldn't be able to if we bought RIV resale. My advice would be if you really want RIV, go direct. I will say that the incentives that we had last summer are better than they are now. Maybe wait until those summer incentives come through. Good luck!
What were the incentives last summer, for comparison?

The large majority of people buy direct and have no clue that resale is even a thing.

I own both resale and Direct. I would never buy Riviera resale, but I also hate Riviera so I'm not the best example.

I would also never buy a 2042 resort, resale or direct. The value is extremely poor.
appreciate the honesty! What resort do you like since you don't like Riviera? Also considering that many have the 2042 expiration. Just curious. thanks!

A completely different view of Boardwalk (or any resort with a closer end date) - is that while many purchase these with the intent to leave as an inheritance and find a 50 year term beneficial, there are also those who have determined an asset with management dues ending sooner (or smaller point contracts) feels like a more comfortable financial commitment. Just like some people love Riviera and hate Animal Kingdom - while another person feels Exactly the opposite.

Hi!
Thank you!
I think it’s very likely that the current incentives are the best incentives on Riviera we will see again.

I don’t advocate buying direct generally; if you decide someday you want to stay at Riviera or Disneyland, just book it for cash with some of the $15-$20K you saved by buying resale. You can even rent out your points to generate much of the cash.

If you just sat through the timeshare presentation, my other suggestion would be to just give it another week before you do anything. If you’re still gung ho, the incentives will be the same until late June, so no harm done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter