Cool spots for departing port???? NYC 11/11

AntiCy

Earning My Ears
Hey all,

We are sailing out of NYC on 11/11, and have done the deck party on the Fantasy a few times.

Any suggestions for where we can go on the ship, specifically for NY? Is there a spot on the front that is cool? Maybe a place to get some cool pictures and have a little different experience than the deck party.

Also first time on the magic

Thanks all!

I loved seeing the Verrazano Bridge sailings out of NY. We stood on the front of the ship top deck. It was amazing how fast the ship was moving and how close to the bridge you were.
If I remember correctly it takes about 30 minutes from the time the ship leaves the terminal until you get to the bridge.

Yep, agree Deck 10 forward is always a good spot. Could be very windy!!! We also like to go down to Deck 4...very rarely crowded and you can walk back and forth through the ship to get to the other side to see everything!

Here are some pics from the spot on Deck 10 forward

DSCN2225.JPG DSCN2228.JPG DSCN2232.JPG
DSCN2237.JPG DSCN2246.JPG

@mmouse37 Were these taken in the adult only sections? We'll be on a NYC cruise same time period next year and I was wondering the same thing. But I'll be with my 12 yr olds.

@Cackyschmackers - I am guessing that the Pic's are NOT from an adults only location on the Magic (and Wonder as well)

Deck 10 (the top deck) is open to everyone on board

Deck 9 is the pool deck and these pictures are too nice to have been taken through glass (no hints of reflections)

Fantasy / Dream - Deck 13(?) forward (Satellite falls) would be adults only - and the only place that the bow of the ship could have it's picture taken with the city in the background.

They were taken on Deck 10 forward....open to everyone!!! The area is on the narrow side...it is the space in front of the basketball court.

MJ

If you want to take pictures of NYC, the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower, you want to be on the port side of the ship after you back out from the pier. For the Statue of Liberty, you want to be on the starboard side. You can get some decent shots of the Empire State Building while docked especially if you use the zoom feature on your camera or phone.

I loved seeing the Verrazano Bridge sailings out of NY. We stood on the front of the ship top deck. It was amazing how fast the ship was moving and how close to the bridge you were.
If I remember correctly it takes about 30 minutes from the time the ship leaves the terminal until you get to the bridge.

It looks close but Fantasy has about 11 ft of clearance from the top of the mast to the bottom of the bridge.

We once took a Carnival cruise out of Jacksonville and passed very close underneath the bridge there. Not sure it's true, but I heard the ship had to achieve a certain speed that would get it deeper in the water to clear the bridge. I'd forgotten that until I read your post. Kind of makes sense to me.

I just took my girls up to see the Statue of Liberty (we got the coveted tickets up to her crown), and as our ferry passed by Liberty Island, we got great pics. Can't wait to see the same view of Lady Liberty but from the Magic next year!

If you want to take pictures of NYC, the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower, you want to be on the port side of the ship after you back out from the pier. For the Statue of Liberty, you want to be on the starboard side. You can get some decent shots of the Empire State Building while docked especially if you use the zoom feature on your camera or phone.
Thanks for that info! We're cruising out of NYC in 2018 and I desperately want to see the Statue of Liberty from the boat. I have been to NYC many times, but for some reason I have never seen her.

I also highly recommend setting your alarm and getting up early for the sail back into NYC. Seeing the Statue of Liberty all lit up in the early morning hours is really breathtaking. I can't remember exactly what time it was (maybe around 5 AM??) but I do recall that the captain let us know the day before what time they expected to sail past Lady Liberty.

Have fun, everyone! Sailing out of NYC is so much fun - keep the cameras ready.

My friend—who has been on a NYC cruise before—said it’s super cool to watch the city lights start to flicker off in the morning and the sun begin to hit the buildings, so as you are viewing the Statue of Liberty, don’t forget to check out the skyline as well.

In November 2018, I will be able to give first hand experience on how awesome it is. Sadly, I have to wait that long to go on an NYC cruise.

They were taken on Deck 10 forward....open to everyone!!! The area is on the narrow side...it is the space in front of the basketball court.

MJ

Great photos! I remember being up there on deck 10 in 2012, as we went under the Verranzano, pretty crowded.

We started our Sail Away in the Roy Disney Suite. A fellow DisBoarder, was hosting a 50th birthday party for a few of us. It was such a nice gesture, since we were strangers, we met via DisBoards.

With our upgraded we will be celebrating Sail away from our Verrandah.

Great photos! I remember being up there on deck 10 in 2012, as we went under the Verranzano, pretty crowded.

We started our Sail Away in the Roy Disney Suite. A fellow DisBoarder, was hosting a 50th birthday party for a few of us. It was such a nice gesture, since we were strangers, we met via DisBoards.

With our upgraded we will be celebrating Sail away from our Verrandah.
We started our Sail Away in the Roy Disney Suite. A fellow DisBoarder, was hosting a 50th birthday party for a few of us. It was such a nice gesture, since we were strangers, we met via DisBoards
Hello, I was with the group in the Roy Disney suite, it was such a treat to be there, one of my friends was playing his ukulele while we sailed away. 2012 two night cruise to nowhere, loved every minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter