COPD problem

LuvClarice

Mouseketeer
We're planning a trip for Mid-Feb and would really love to bring my mom. She's in her late 70s and a Mickey freak. She's the reason I'm a Disney fanatic. She's on oxygen 24/7 and would need a wheelchair. Does anyone know if we can bring her oxygen machine for use in the hotel? She uses Lincare at home to supply her portable tanks and we're wondering if they would deliver to the hotel and if she can take them to the parks and into the attractions. Anyone with any experience out there?? Thanks.

I would suggest talking with your supplier. They should have a contact in Orlando who can handle the supplies for her. By their working on it you will have a practically seamless transaction. If they supply the concentrator also, they can arrange for one again from a supplier. It will be available to you at the hotel.

If you are not bringing her own wheelchair, contact one of the rental places such as Walker, Care, or Colonial (see the "disABILTIES! FAQ") and not only will you be able to get a wheelchair for the duration, but it will have mounts for tanks.

If necessary First Aid at the parks can store extra tanks for you, and even temporarily provide Oxygen in case of an emergency situation.

If youo are flying contact the airline immediately and ask reservations for "special services". The rules vary by airline and most reservations people don't know the medical rules.

Thanks so much for the point in the right direction. I will be contacting her supplier tomorrow and also see about arranging to rent a wheelchair for the stay. She was actually diagnosed with the COPD after an emergency trip to the Celebration Health Center during her last trip to Disney. Although it disrupted our trip, they also found a previously undetected aneurysm that she had repaired this past fall and I'll always believe it was Disney magic that saved her life. We ended up having to fly her home so being aware of the airline problems, we've already decided driving is the only way to go. Thanks again for the quick advice.

I always brought an oxygen concentrator for my room. We also carried oxygen for the mountains we had to cross.

One year our supply company gave us smaller tanks in a handy backpack. The neat thing about the tanks was that the oxygen only activated when you inhaled. I don't remember what it was called, though.

activeforever.com has a really nice portable system called Inogen One Oxygen Therapy System...

Good luck!

Christamae

Thank you both for the excellent advice. Everything is falling into place. We have a wheelchair being delivered to the hotel along with oxygen and have reserved a travel concentrator from our local supplier. We checked into the conserver that only dispenses when you inhale, but unfortunately my mom was tested and does not qualify to use it. Couldn't keep her levels up enough. We are all very excited and anxious to get going. Thanks again.
Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter