Coral Reef & Nearby Attractions question

TLMAriel

Earning My Ears
I've heard the service in Coral Reef can be very very slow. I'm hoping to combat this by taking the kids to the nearby attractions while waiting for our food.

Is it necessary to go through the aquarium if we're eating at the CR?

Would it be possible to take the kids on the Nemo ride and through the aquarium while we waited to be served?

Would it be possible for one of us to leave early (while the other pays) to get in line for Turtle Talk?

FWIW, Touring Plans is predicting a 6 min wait for both Nemo and Turtle Talk on that day/time.

I've never had service slow enough to leave the restaurant and go on a ride and come back. That's kind of a crazy plan. The attraction is right there where you sit, the aquarium. Go to in the pavilion you have to exit the restaurant and walk around to the other side. Then what happens when your food comes and you're stuck in line or on the ride while they load 5 wheelchairs in a row? Just go and enjoy your meal, if you are concerned about length of service book an early lunch.

I've never had service slow enough to leave the restaurant and go on a ride and come back. That's kind of a crazy plan. The attraction is right there where you sit, the aquarium. Go to in the pavilion you have to exit the restaurant and walk around to the other side. Then what happens when your food comes and you're stuck in line or on the ride while they load 5 wheelchairs in a row? Just go and enjoy your meal, if you are concerned about length of service book an early lunch.

Ok, I was reading people saying that the meal was taking two hours, which made me think the wait time was extraordinarily slow. I do tend toward crazy, but I meant just either my husband or I took the kids out. Not only to preserve time, but also to avoid having 3 tired kids waiting and waiting and waiting for their food.

Comments are with the caveat I haven't been to Coral Reef in more than two years but I have been on four separate occasions:

• You don't have to go through The Seas Aquarium to get to the restaurant. Coral Reef has a dedicated entrance.
  • I would not leave the table while waiting to be served. I never experienced a long wait time once I ordered my meal. I'd almost say my experience was the opposite. Apps and entrees came out pretty quickly. Menu isn't huge so the kitchen isn't preparing many different things. I suspect this helps to keep the line moving.
  • It shouldn't be a problem for part of your party to leave early and leave someone behind to take care of the check. But again, I didn't feel like I was ever held up for an exceptional amount of time. This might work for Turtle Talk but probably not Nemo. A short Nemo line could mean whoever gets left behind to take care of the bill will not end up riding with you.

The aquarium views at Coral Reef are very enjoyable. I would suspect that it could hold the attention of kids in your party.

We do Coral Reef every year, last time was this past February. Never had to wait long for a meal there. Besides, you have the aquarium view to keep you enchanted while you wait.

We haven't eaten there in a while, but I don't recall the service being significantly slower than any other restaurant.
Reports of taking 2 hours to eat there, I would assume was more the guests than slow service.
There are restaurants where we eat and will spend 2 hours and watch other tables come and go in an hour.

I would expect the aquarium should keep the kids interested until the food comes.

Ok, I was reading people saying that the meal was taking two hours, which made me think the wait time was extraordinarily slow. I do tend toward crazy, but I meant just either my husband or I took the kids out. Not only to preserve time, but also to avoid having 3 tired kids waiting and waiting and waiting for their food.
the restaurant is no worse than any other at Disney. My son is on the spectrum and has ADHD and we have never had an issue waiting for meals there!

Coral Reef tends to back up a bit for ADR's. That is not the same as running late during meal service. WE tend to book dinner earlier rather than later there becuase the wait to be seated sometimes builds as the evening progresses.

I woudl not suggest leaving the table to go elsewhere during meals service, especially given that the aquarium is pretty interesting.

Been there many times, I don't recall it ever being that slow. Definitely not slow enough to have time to leave and go on rides while waiting for food. I wouldn't recommend doing that at any restaurant, not just Coral Reef. I just don't think it's feasible as more than likely food will come before you're back. Order an app that way you know something will come out quick.

Our kids always love the aquarium at Coral Reef and they're content to sit and watch. Usually, if you've done rope drop (or close to) and a bunch of rides and activity pre-meal time, your kids will be ready for a break. But if you really think they'll be that antsy and not able to sit, I would just skip the ADR altogether as it doesn't seem worth the cost. You can do quick serve for much cheaper and be in and out faster.

Thank you everyone, I appreciate it.
I have a 5:00 reservation so maybe that’s early enough to not be backed up. If they are, oh well, right?

I have a 5:00 reservation so maybe that’s early enough to not be backed up. If they are, oh well, right?

We check in about 10 to 15 minutes early. For this restaurant, because we book the Candlelight Processional and like to be out in a timely manner, the strategy has worked well.

Order an app that way you know something will come out quick.
Great idea. Check the menu in advance, and order drinks and apps as soon as your server arrives. Even ask the CM dragging you to get your server asap.
that should be early enough to avoid a backup, but any backup would be with the wait to be seated - NOT with the kitchen.

I've never noticed slow service there. It's a typical restaurant. But of your kids start acting up you can definitly exit the restaurant (which is on the far right of the Living Seas building and go on the ride. The aquarium in the restaurant itself is HUGE. The restaurant is designed like a mini amphitheater with three (or 4) staging areas. Maybe request to be seated closer to the aquarium..that might keep the kids occupied.

I have eaten at Coral Reef a half dozen times and have never come anywhere near 2 hours. Average is one hour (for main course and dessert) and maybe up to 1 1/4 hours if I also have an appetizer. I would not expect you should see any unusually long wait and with the giant viewing of the aquarium, there will be lots to occupy your 3 kids while they are waiting and it will be a lot more relaxing for you to leverage that aquarium viewing while you sit and relax rather than trying to rush around to the other end of the building to quickly do something and rush back.

ETA - One more suggestion, and this goes for any restaurant really. You can always ask them to bring the kids meals out first. They are almost always faster to prepare and if they are getting hangry, that can help avoid a meltdown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter