Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I don't know all the logistics, but could Disney move the departure port for Alaska cruises to Seattle or even San Diego (probably have to add an extra sea day) since the Wonder is already there? It would definitely warrant no-penalty cancellations for current guests. Maybe that is just too much effort.

No, they run into two problems:

(1) US law requires a foreign-registered ship doing a round trip from a US port to visit a foreign port. There are no foreign ports they can reach except Canadian ones and those are closed to them. So unless they get an exemption to the law, not an option.

(2) It isn't just Canadian ports that are closed to cruise ships, but Canadian waters. All up the coast for some distance out are Canadian waters [see this map for reference: https://bcmca.ca/datafiles/individualfiles/bcmca_hu_maritimezones_atlas.pdf ]. A ship would have to go a ways around, the BC Inside Passage would be out of bounds, and even once they get up to Alaska geography would create challenges for them getting in to the region/ports without going through Canadian waters [see the where the line of Alask.BC is relative to where the Alaskan islands are and the Canadian waters are... geography creates a problem].

So, no Alaska cruises this year.

We just PIF for the 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego in late September as our PIF date is tomorrow. I'm curious everybody's thoughts on the likelihood of the following scenarios:

1. DCL cancels all cruises through the fall, we are offered a full refund or the 125% credit.
2. DCL operates but amenities are noticeably curtailed, i.e., no deck parties, no atrium parties, no character meets, limited club hours and capacity limitations in certain high traffic areas (Atrium, pool deck, Cabanas, etc.) Disney also runs ships at a reduced capacity (like 30-50%, similar to the theme parks) and takes volunteers to move to a latter cruise date like they are doing with WDW resort reservations.
3. DCL operates 100% normally by late September.

I lay these out in order of what I think is likely to happen. We're rolling the dice on either #1 or #2 to try and get the 125% credit. The last thing we want is to be "stuck" in a scenario like #2 but not be able to at least move our cruise to a later credit and retain all of what we paid. It's frustrating that the airlines have been more transparent than DCL about cancellation policies though the end of 2020. :/

I think you are more than likely looking at #4, DCL operates at about 75% normally by late September. Just over 3 and a half months away.

I don't know all the logistics, but could Disney move the departure port for Alaska cruises to Seattle or even San Diego (probably have to add an extra sea day) since the Wonder is already there? It would definitely warrant no-penalty cancellations for current guests. Maybe that is just too much effort.

To add to what's been said, our port in seattle isn't open either so while the rest stops it, they couldn't go from here anyway. Plus we're still under strict stay at home for the county seattle is in.

We just PIF for the 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Diego in late September as our PIF date is tomorrow. I'm curious everybody's thoughts on the likelihood of the following scenarios:

1. DCL cancels all cruises through the fall, we are offered a full refund or the 125% credit.
2. DCL operates but amenities are noticeably curtailed, i.e., no deck parties, no atrium parties, no character meets, limited club hours and capacity limitations in certain high traffic areas (Atrium, pool deck, Cabanas, etc.) Disney also runs ships at a reduced capacity (like 30-50%, similar to the theme parks) and takes volunteers to move to a latter cruise date like they are doing with WDW resort reservations.
3. DCL operates 100% normally by late September.

I lay these out in order of what I think is likely to happen. We're rolling the dice on either #1 or #2 to try and get the 125% credit. The last thing we want is to be "stuck" in a scenario like #2 but not be able to at least move our cruise to a later credit and retain all of what we paid. It's frustrating that the airlines have been more transparent than DCL about cancellation policies though the end of 2020. :/

I think it will be #1.

I'm confused. They have announced opening in mid July for WDW and they just cancelled all your ADRs in August?? And your entire dining plan?
We are booked for land/sea in late fall... I just don't see it happening... even if you take away the shows and deck parties you still have thousands in indoor spaces at any given point.

Oh my gosh, I just need to say... pretty much all hope gone at this point for our August land/sea trip. We just lost our free dining and all of our ADRs. I never ever imagined they would do that--I was resigned that maybe we'd lose some ADRs at popular restaurants, but still could use our free dining at quick service or a different TS restaurant. But if they are going to just take away something like the dining plan, what they heck are they going to for cruises? Seems like anything is on the table at the moment. Maybe no castaway cay, no evening shows, no pirate night. I feel like I was content with pretty much everything they announced up until now, but this just stings.

I'm confused. They have announced opening in mid July for WDW and they just cancelled all your ADRs in August?? And your entire dining plan?
We are booked for land/sea in late fall... I just don't see it happening... even if you take away the shows and deck parties you still have thousands in indoor spaces at any given point.
Yes all ADRs, dining plans, fastpssses and special experiences (bibbidi bobbidi boutique) are being cancelled through the end of the year. ADRs can be rebooked at 60 days. No fast passes for now.

#1 or #2 are most likely. We are quite far out before #3.

For #2 DCL will need to offer something to appease passengers. I will not be happy if not given the option of at least a full refund for my August 7-night or considerable compensation for being subjected to a reduced cruise experience.

There is also the question of how will DCL get the occupancy down to those reduced levels if they don’t get enough people to voluntarily give up their reservations?

I think there's about a 10% chance of #2 and I like my chances of winning Powerball this weekend better than the chances of #3 occurring.

In trying to meet the guidelines for reopening Disney World, Disney has elected to suspend dining reservations and FastPasses for the time being; they aren't taking new hotel reservations or selling new admission passes either. I suspect that they already have way more people with reservations than they'll be able to accommodate prior to Labor Day, so they are eliminating things. (Personally, I thought they'd eliminate the standby line for rides and go all-in on FastPass, but that's for another discussion.) Perhaps they believe that if they are operating the parks at 25% or so of capacity, FastPasses aren't really necessary. (25% is a wild guess.)

Canada just closed to cruises with more than 100 people today till October 31
I cancelled my cruise on the Bliss today. We were supposed to go this week, and cancelled that in March. Then we booked the 1st week of October, hoping that would be far enough out.
We spent our 25th anniversary eating takeout at home. 😢

For #2 DCL will need to offer something to appease passengers. I will not be happy if not given the option of at least a full refund for my August 7-night or considerable compensation for being subjected to a reduced cruise experience.

I did PIF for that cruise figuring they aren't going to keep your money if you still want to cancel...could they, sure by their policy...but, I don't think they will deny anyone a 100% refund at any point now with a reduced experience cruise...at least for those who were booked all ready in the good old days...

Last edited:
So our PIF is coming up on June 26 for our Sept double dip cruise. We were SO excited as it was actually the first decent price double dip I had seen. Well, while I’ve not cancelled, we aren’t going. No one is comfortable with it. We just cruised on the Magic in Feb and all came home with something had hit us HARD (me, harder as it took about a month to get over all of it as it kept turning into something else - ended w/bronchitis). So for us, if we took a risk hoping for cancellation, we also need to be prepared to cruise if they don’t cancel and that, we just aren’t ready for. Now this is our last cruise that has an on board credit associated and to get this w/discount on cruise price, we have to use it by Nov this year. So if I cancel, I’ll lose the credit and %off. UGH. But, I can’t see things well enough in Sept given it will almost be time for flu shots all over again. Yes, I called DCL and confirmed, I only have until Nov to use it - that has NOT been extended due to the no cruising, etc. I had an easier time cancelling my 2 week Med cruise for June than I’m having with this one. Twice I’ve called with the intent to cancel and get my refund and both times.......chicken out.............
I still......have...........time..........................*sigh*

Yes, I called DCL and confirmed, I only have until Nov to use it - that has NOT been extended due to the no cruising, etc.
I called and asked as well and was very surprised that they are not extending the use by date. They are doing it with AP's for the parks so I thought this would be the same sort of category. Maybe they will change that policy at a later date but it just doesn't sit right with me. Ultimately it is what it is.

Why is Disney taking reservations for a July 31st cruise? Does anyone believe that it will sail? My only guess on why they take the reservations is because of the high percentage of people who rebook and that makes it profitable even with the 25% credit. Disney has released their plans for the parks but no information on the cruises. Someone has to know something, where are the rumors and leaks?

Normally the Fantasy would be going out today. Those on the deck waiting for sail away at PC would have got quite a show with the Falcon 9 launch at Kennedy Space Center in a few mins. That would have been quite a site. Dang virus.

My last Disney cruise happened during some of the Falcon rocket testing. It was awesome seeing it take off and land from the ship. I'm bummed too that the would-be cruisers missed out on this.

Rebooking is becoming more and more limited. Until they issue the Fall 2021 cruises, people, even with 15 months to book are going to have a harder and harder time finding sailings where the prime rooms aren't already booked up. And I doubt they will be issueing the Fall 2021 cruiss until they are actually cruising again. Rock, meet Hard-place.

Usually around this time we would get the Fall 2021.... I totally get they are delaying it... but you mean you believe they will not release it until they are started sailing again?? That will be many more months... or not at all this year! That would be tough!

Rebooking is becoming more and more limited. Until they issue the Fall 2021 cruises, people, even with 15 months to book are going to have a harder and harder time finding sailings where the prime rooms aren't already booked up. And I doubt they will be issueing the Fall 2021 cruiss until they are actually cruising again. Rock, meet Hard-place.

Usually around this time we would get the Fall 2021.... I totally get they are delaying it... but you mean you believe they will not release it until they are started sailing again?? That will be many more months... or not at all this year! That would be tough!
That's my point. Why would they release sailings on ships when they don't even know when they are sailing again? It will only cost them if they have to cancel and it takes up resources for booking, finance and planning. The flipside of that is that there will come a point where, say the guests on the August or Sept sailings won't be able to find a suitable sailing to rebook, because everything in the next 11 months to a year will be mostly booked up and possibly on the chopping block. So, that will mean giving refunds or bigger incentives to trust that they will be coming back... with no sailings offered beyond Summer 2021.

EDIT: I should have added... if they do go ahead and offer the Fall 2021 and even Spring 2022, I think their prices will reflect the fact that a majority of their guests will be rebooking with credits. That means up by 25%. Otherwise, they have no hope of recouping losses with so many credits out there.

I can see what you are saying... I haven't checked too many of the Spring/Summer 2021 sailings, so I cannot discern how booked they are already... but yes.... that would be awful. For us that would mean, we'd likely lose our OBB credit (currently booked for fall 2020, hesitant to PIF) AND prices up by 25%. I had hoped to rebook to fall 2021. We could not cruise at all, if the scenario you outlined comes to pass, I think. Argh! :(

That's my point. Why would they release sailings on ships when they don't even know when they are sailing again? It will only cost them if they have to cancel and it takes up resources for booking, finance and planning. The flipside of that is that there will come a point where, say the guests on the August or Sept sailings won't be able to find a suitable sailing to rebook, because everything in the next 11 months to a year will be mostly booked up and possibly on the chopping block. So, that will mean giving refunds or bigger incentives to trust that they will be coming back... with no sailings offered beyond Summer 2021.

EDIT: I should have added... if they do go ahead and offer the Fall 2021 and even Spring 2022, I think their prices will reflect the fact that a majority of their guests will be rebooking with credits. That means up by 25%. Otherwise, they have no hope of recouping losses with so many credits out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!