Coronavirus and flying into China

The issue with any of these emerging viruses is that the media -- both "official" and "other" -- social media, radio talk shows , etc. jump on the news because it scares the hell out of people and it gets ratings, likes, clicks, shares and more. The more scary and sensational the better. When the most recent Ebola outbreak took place, a local radio talk show host went on air and said "This thing is airborne, folks." It wasn't, and that was incredibly irresponsible rhetoric. CNN reported Friday that the new Corona virus had killed "dozens of people." At that time, 24 people had died. Technically, they were correct, but it was presented sensationally.

There's no doubt that emerging viruses pose a constant threat, especially when combined with the reality that more viruses are evolving to resist current antibiotics. But at the same time, diving into panic isn't helpful either. You have to take time to go beyond the headlines and social media and seek out reliable scientific sources and evaluate the facts as they are known from day to day. Caution is good. Panic, not so much. Jmho.

I agree there is media hype surrounding these kind of things (and all other kinds of things as well).

Rather than looking at media hype, I am more interested in what governments and corporations are doing. Quarantines, air travel screenings, private plane charters to evacuate US citizens from Wuhan, hospitalization in isolation for anyone entering US with suspect symptoms, shutdown of 2 Disney parks, 2 week delay for returning to university for students in Beijing. These actions make me believe governments are quite concerned.

I think the big issue with the emerging viruses is that we don't know exactly what they're going to do, plus they are evolving in ways that can make them worse. Just a few weeks ago officials were saying it didn't appear to be highly contagious. They are already thinking it is evolving this quickly to be more contagious. It's also possible that new viruses like this could cross with a virus like flu, which is very highly contagious.

There's no doubt that emerging viruses pose a constant threat, especially when combined with the reality that more viruses are evolving to resist current antibiotics.

Bacteria evolves to be resistant to antibiotics. Viruses have always been unaffected / immune to antibiotics treatment.

So, this virus...what exactly does it do? Symptoms? Is it like influenza? A bad cold? Ebola? Is there a treatment?

No it is not a hemorrhagic fever like Ebola. The symptoms seem to be respiratory like pneumonia. Starts with fever, aches and pains, etc.

So, this virus...what exactly does it do? Symptoms? Is it like influenza? A bad cold? Ebola? Is there a treatment?

Quoted from CNN:
"
Common symptoms include: a runny nose, cough, sore throat, and possibly a headache. Those who have a weakened immune system, particularly the young and the elderly, are at risk of the virus turning into a more serious respiratory tract illness.

Authorities said the Wuhan coronavirus was passed from animals to humans; can be spread from person to person; and appears to cause pneumonia in people who have weakened immune systems.

It is thought to be milder that SARS and MERS and take longer to develop symptoms. Patients to date have typically experienced a mild cough for a week followed by shortness of breath, causing them to visit a hospital."

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-01-27-20-intl-hnk/index.html

There is so much we don’t know about this virus. Unfortunately, I have to fly through both ATL and LAX next month. Fingers crossed.

My son is going on a business trip for our company and his flight has a 10 hour connection in Beijing. He's nervous about the coronavirus. I'm wondering if I should try and rebook to avoid China. I can route him through Japan if allowed to cancel his original flight. The flight is on Air China. I've tried calling their US call number and they are not accepting calls. Not sure what's up with that, but I assume it's due to the call volume. I'm about 20 minutes from PDX so I can drive there and try and cancel at the Air China booking desk. I'm just unsure what the risk is at this point. Any advice?

Did you end up changing the flight? Also, hi fellow Portlander!

Is it possible to reschedule this trip for another time? I'd be hesitant to fly anywhere in Asia right now if I didn't have to.

Being honest, I'd be hesitant to fly at all as people transferring between flights can be a problem. Canada has it's first unconfirmed case. Person is in isolation at a Toronto hospital. His wife has also now developed symptoms and has been self-isolated in their home since they flew home from China last week. Officials are now trying to contact all people who were on their flight.

I would avoid any unnecessary flying right now until we know more about this. But, that's just me.

My colleagues report Beijing is a virtual ghost town. Avoid at all costs. Stores have limited items.

My husband is supposed to fly to Taiwan in 2 weeks and I am not happy about it. He is currently military stationed in Japan and it's for a training exercise, so he can't voluntarily cancel. I am hoping the entire exercise gets cancelled at this point. He is flying commercial.

I also just bought my plane ticket for my trip to Tokyo to visit him and Tokyo Disneyland in May. I hope this thing has died down considerably by then.

Is it possible to reschedule this trip for another time? I'd be hesitant to fly anywhere in Asia right now if I didn't have to.

Being honest, I'd be hesitant to fly at all as people transferring between flights can be a problem. Canada has it's first unconfirmed case. Person is in isolation at a Toronto hospital. His wife has also now developed symptoms and has been self-isolated in their home since they flew home from China last week. Officials are now trying to contact all people who were on their flight.

I would avoid any unnecessary flying right now until we know more about this. But, that's just me.

I live in NYC so I figure whether or not I fly in three days is going to have little bearing on anything considering I take public transportation everywhere. Granted, I am not flying to or near Asia, but it's this general kind of thing that gets the mind going.

My problem with any of these contagious diseases is what the officials do and do not tell you.

Much less serious example: my DH does a lot of "caretaking" for our elderly neighbor and his wife (in their 80s). Neighbor became VERY ill ten days ago, didn't want to go in to doctor, etc. By the time his wife talked him into going to the e.r. a week ago, he had a high fever, terrible cough, etc, etc. My DH drove them, since neither one drives. The e.r. at the local hospital kept him overnight, did *not* recommend to the wife or my DH to wear a mask or anything, but then had him transferred to the nearest big city hospital (2.5 hours away). DH drove the wife to that hospital, where the personnel on staff immediately questioned why neither DH or the wife were wearing masks, handwashing constantly, etc. The patient's room was marked as being infectious (is that the right term?), and it seems as though he's going to be fine (pneumonia, a flu like virus, etc) all diagnosed and treated by the second hospital not the first).

In the meantime, my DH is kicking himself for not masking up immediately when he got to the first hospital. I told him that I think we have to watch out for ourselves, and not count on others. Yes, it's usually the elderly and the very young who get the sickest, but you never know.

(And, yes, I'm one of those weirdos with a few masks and hand sanitizer in my purse all winter long....)

Terri

My problem with any of these contagious diseases is what the officials do and do not tell you.

Much less serious example: my DH does a lot of "caretaking" for our elderly neighbor and his wife (in their 80s). Neighbor became VERY ill ten days ago, didn't want to go in to doctor, etc. By the time his wife talked him into going to the e.r. a week ago, he had a high fever, terrible cough, etc, etc. My DH drove them, since neither one drives. The e.r. at the local hospital kept him overnight, did *not* recommend to the wife or my DH to wear a mask or anything, but then had him transferred to the nearest big city hospital (2.5 hours away). DH drove the wife to that hospital, where the personnel on staff immediately questioned why neither DH or the wife were wearing masks, handwashing constantly, etc. The patient's room was marked as being infectious (is that the right term?), and it seems as though he's going to be fine (pneumonia, a flu like virus, etc) all diagnosed and treated by the second hospital not the first).

In the meantime, my DH is kicking himself for not masking up immediately when he got to the first hospital. I told him that I think we have to watch out for ourselves, and not count on others. Yes, it's usually the elderly and the very young who get the sickest, but you never know.

(And, yes, I'm one of those weirdos with a few masks and hand sanitizer in my purse all winter long....)

Terri

I see people wearing masks in Asia. It’s kinda the norm. It’s really not the norm in the US. So I’m not really surprised. Also, there are different types of masks; they’re not all created equal.

Basically your post is why I live in a city. I want good access to healthcare. And all healthcare isn’t equal either. The rural flight has made this a bigger deal. Rural hospitals are closing down and poorly staffed.

And all healthcare isn’t equal either. The rural flight has made this a bigger deal. Rural hospitals are closing down and poorly staffed.

The first one he went to is actually a brand new multi million dollar building, but they didn't "fix" the staffing, so it's really no better than it ever was. And we are VERY lucky that Green Bay is only 2 hours away and Milwaukee only 4.

The person who just handed me my bag at the drive thru sneezed and didn't cover as they were doing so. Yuck.

On with the coronavirus discussion, sorry!

Terri

The first one he went to is actually a brand new multi million dollar building, but they didn't "fix" the staffing, so it's really no better than it ever was. And we are VERY lucky that Green Bay is only 2 hours away and Milwaukee only 4.

The person who just handed me my bag at the drive thru sneezed and didn't cover as they were doing so. Yuck.

On with the coronavirus discussion, sorry!

Terri

Airline stocks are plummeting. And Disney closed their theme park in Asia. This makes me think it’s worse than they’re saying. They just don’t want to create a panic.

Airline stocks are plummeting. And Disney closed their theme park in Asia. This makes me think it’s worse than they’re saying. They just don’t want to create a panic.
My sister is an Infectious Diseases RN. I don't panic unless she does.

The chances are low but if you draw the short straw it can be catastrophic. I knew a couple that had a short vacation in China during SARS. The wife was very unlucky and contracted the disease and died. She was a very healthy runner but couldn’t fight it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter