Costumes for marathon weekend and Star Wars?

goofeygirl

DIS Veteran
I love the idea of wearing and seeing others dressed in crazy outfits for the races. Last year I was in a coral with a fellow who carried and played a sousaphone! He apparently did the Goofy because I saw him both days and he was in costume to boot!

Anyway...I am still up in the air for marathon weekend but think I have it down on SW weekend and I will dress up as Luke Skywalker in black compete with a green lightsaber.

I like the idea of costumes, but I don't want to have to carry anything or wear anything that would interfere with my running too much. Most races I've just worn whatever comfortable running clothes, but a few Disney races I've worn something special

Tinker bell half-I ran with friends and we each wore a skirt from sparkle athletic and a pair of wings--each of us in a different color scheme. It worked very well--the wings didn't hinder my running at all.

Princess half-I got a snow white themed tutu from race junkie. I wore it with a blue tank top. I didn't like this--it was very humid and I felt like the tutu was too hot--plus I could see my sweat pooling in the tulle of the tutu! GROSS!!!
I would try a tutu again if the race was much cooler/drier. And the tutu was very pretty/well made. I was happy with the product--just not a good combo with the weather for the race.
Maybe I will bring my Snow White Tutu for Marathon weekend? I want to be more sure of the weather first.

Star Wars-I am running with my son and we will each be wearing a shirt from Raw threads--mine says "The Training is strong with this one" and he is wearing "May the Course be with you." I may wear a skirt from sparkle athletic on top of my running shorts--not sure which color yet--I will probably see what is available at the expo. But no actual "costume."

My "costume" will be Mr. Incredible - red Under Armour shirt with Incredibles logo, red knickers and a black speedo - presto, I'm Mr. Incredible! I ran the '10 marathon and '12 Goofy as Mr. Incredible. This will be the first year adding the red knickers.

My "costume" will be Mr. Incredible - red Under Armour shirt with Incredibles logo, red knickers and a black speedo - presto, I'm Mr. Incredible! I ran the '10 marathon and '12 Goofy as Mr. Incredible. This will be the first year adding the red knickers.

What did you wear *before* this year? :eek:

Oh oh maybe just black ones. Whew.

I'm not creative with costumes, so I haven't worn one yet. But at the Disneyland Half I saw a Nemo costume that was adorable. Orange and white striped tech fabric tshirt, then the person had cute little orange fins on armbands. I would assume that one fin was bigger than the other. So cute.

I love the idea of wearing and seeing others dressed in crazy outfits for the races. Last year I was in a coral with a fellow who carried and played a sousaphone! He apparently did the Goofy because I saw him both days and he was in costume to boot!

Anyway...I am still up in the air for marathon weekend but think I have it down on SW weekend and I will dress up as Luke Skywalker in black compete with a green lightsaber.

You mean this guy?
sousaphone_zpsee736200.jpg

We saw him during Goofy as well...what a trooper! I have run in costume a few times before but this time around I am making the cardinal sin of running a Disney race "for real" and not for fun, so my outfit will be shorts and a singlet...BORING!

You mean this guy?
sousaphone_zpsee736200.jpg

We saw him during Goofy as well...what a trooper! I have run in costume a few times before but this time around I am making the cardinal sin of running a Disney race "for real" and not for fun, so my outfit will be shorts and a singlet...BORING!

Yes! I forgot he dressed the instrument up to look like Big Bird. He was playing it while we were waiting in the coral.
I saw him stand in line for photo ops too so this guy was amazing...and his gal was dressed up as a bride.

The last two years I've passed a runner doing Goofy in full fire fighting bunker gear, including the helmet and the tank (but minus the boots). I can barely handle the heat in shorts and a t-shirt, I don't know how those guys do it. :worship:

The last two years I've passed a runner doing Goofy in full fire fighting bunker gear, including the helmet and the tank (but minus the boots). I can barely handle the heat in shorts and a t-shirt, I don't know how those guys do it. :worship:

Yes! I remember him in 2013 and was amazed as well! Way more than I could do for sure!!
I will be dressing as Donald for the half and Goofy for the full. I'm trying to do characters I have not dressed as before and it was easy to choose these 2 for the races. ;)
I have been vintage Minnie, Cindy, McQueen, dumbo, Ariel inspired, Minnie, Olaf, and have done evil queen shirt, Ariel shirt and just Mickey on a singlet. I'm thinking I will be Rapunzel, Snow White and maybe belle for glass slipper. Dressing up ( and seeing all the others dressed up)
is one of my favorite parts of Disney races!

I saw a couple in 2013 running the full marathon in full out Donald Duck gear! Feathers, white suit with hat...orange beak...orange tights and matching running shoes.
If you all recall....that was one of the hottest days that week...it was friggen hot out!!!!

I am thinking queen of hearts. I have a black top and red skirt...might get some hearts to glue on and find a crown at the buck store

I'm having trouble finding tech clothing in the right colors (black and gray for Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back) in my size (tall) at the right price for Star Wars race weekend. There's a distinct possibility that my costume will be my usual race day attire with a lightsaber.

I don't want to spend a lot of money for tech clothing for a rarely used costume. And I have yet to convince myself to run in my full Jedi robes. So I may just have a Star Wars prop for my costume.

I'm having trouble finding tech clothing in the right colors (black and gray for Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi and The Empire Strikes Back) in my size (tall) at the right price for Star Wars race weekend. There's a distinct possibility that my costume will be my usual race day attire with a lightsaber.

I don't want to spend a lot of money for tech clothing for a rarely used costume. And I have yet to convince myself to run in my full Jedi robes. So I may just have a Star Wars prop for my costume.

You can buy tech shirts for Under $15 from JiffyShirts.com and they have really fast shipping. You might luck out there!

For the half, I'm going as Miss Piggy. Finished the costume last night.

I'm still stressing/wavering/indecisive about my costume for the full. I know in my head it's not really that big a deal, but it's still occupying my thoughts. I had planned on just normal running clothes for the full until a week or so ago.

I realized this week I have very limited colors in tech gear and very few creative juices left to whip something together. Last night I had 3/4 of a Goofy outfit put together and about 1/2 of an Anna from Frozen. Without some craftiness (mostly cutting and hot glue!) I can't finish them. Also, the chance of rain and wanting to be as comfortable as possible for 26 miles has me nixing most ideas I've come up with. Tonight's my last chance to be hit by inspiration or just let it go.

For the 10k, I'm going to dress up as Dagobah Luke with the Yoda backpack. I won't be running for time so I don't mind carrying a little extra weight.

For the half, I'm not dressing up, I don't need any extra gear for the 13.1 miles!

This is something I should mention....but Disney does have rules regarding wearing costumes....one of the rules is that you cannot accessorize with anything that could be mistaken for a real weapon. Now I am fairly sure this wouldn't apply to light sabers...but I know some people were talking about using toy blasters , like the one Han used and such...and my strong guess would be that this would not be allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter