Counting down to the Darkside - Getting Fit and Facing 40 (comments welcome)

Nhebron

DIS Veteran
Intro
As I approach the big 40, I am increasingly motivated to get healthy and get moving. I participated in my first Run Disney event last November, completing the Wine and Dine 5k. I was slow and it was hard. But when I came home and weighed myself, I realized I had lost weight even while on vacation. This was a big motivator. Since last November, I have lost about 40 lbs and a total of 60 lbs since last July. I am going through a rough patch right now and my weight is fluctuating up and down a bit, but I am determined to get it under control and keep making progress.

To keep motivated, I have signed up for Star Wars Rival Weekend. Not the 5K, but the 10K. :scared: This is a crazy, big, hairy, ambitious, goal. I am not sure that I can make it, but if I don't train and try, I know I never will. I have no doubt that I could finish the distance....but I am slow, oh so slow. Like 18 minute per mile (at my best), slow. And I know that they sweep for 10K, so I have lots of work to do.

So I will use this journal to track my training and progress. Along with training for the 10k, I will be tracking my weight loss. I would like to lose at least 50 more lbs by April. I know, this is ambitious. Along with signing up for the 10K (Darkside :darth:), I am also planning to cross over to the darkside and go to Universal Orlando for the first time next April. A secondary goal is to lose enough weight to ride HP rides, which I could not do with my family last year at Universal Hollywood.

So I have a loong way to go to achieve my goals, but I have made some progress.

Here is me last November:
enhance

and here is me last Sunday:

enhance

Training Plan

I am planning to follow the Jeff Galloway training plan. It is an 18 week program where you alternate running and walking. I started this program a month or so ago, but then fell off with vacation and then a recent fall where I hurt my knee. But it is time to get going again!

https://secure.cdn3.wdpromedia.com/...ning-programs/runDisney-10K-Training-Plan.pdf

Diet Plan

Alcohol and eating out are my weakness. My immediate goal is to cut back on both. I do well with weight loss when I am focusing on protein and limiting carbs, although I know carbs can be important when training. Will need to look into the diet more, but for now the immediate goals are to cut alcohol, limit take-out, and increase water intake (1 gallon per day goal).

I personally think ...ur AMAZING!
Kudos for ur current weight loss ( and tackling the last run) and best of luck going forward.
I’m thinking... you have much Success headed ur way!

Wow! You've already made great progress! Good luck with your upcoming 10K! Keep up the great work!

Following! I am also facing 40 soon and hoping to do my first WDW race :)

Good luck. I had never experienced anything like a WDW race before. The 5k was like a huge party at the starting line....but so early in the morning!

Thanks for all the positive words of encouragement. Today didn't go as planned...meaning I did not start the training plan. I had the alarm set for 5am but hit the snooze button until it was way past time to get up.

But I am going to celebrate the positives of the day. It is a pretty stressful time at work. Today, I dealt with it by taking a walk at lunch time. I also avoided stress eating and my after work glass of wine, so I'm counting that as a win and setting the alarm clock for 5am again! :flower1:

This week has been a bust. Completely off track with diet and training plan. Instead of ignoring the journal, decided to at least come in and be honest about it. I even skipped my charity 5K on Saturday. It was cold and rainy, but that's just an excuse.

Goal is to complete week 1 of the training plan next week.

This week has been a bust. Completely off track with diet and training plan. Instead of ignoring the journal, decided to at least come in and be honest about it. I even skipped my charity 5K on Saturday. It was cold and rainy, but that's just an excuse.

Goal is to complete week 1 of the training plan next week.

I think we've all had weeks like that. It happens. Better weeks come along, too.

I moved today! Pretty slowly but after being a slug for the last week and mentally battling the "I will start tomorrow" thoughts, it feels like a victory.

40 mins. 1.8 miles. Yes, I walked...slowly...so it wasn't a training session but I moved!.

And day 3 without wine. It's the work week, so pretty easy right now. Challenge will come with upcoming social events.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!