Couples trip next December - Christmas tips?

Myhandsfull

Earning My Ears
Howdy! My family and I went for our fifth Disney trip in September. We have done February trips and September trips, always with three kids (and this last time, a girlfriend). While we were there, we booked a bounce back offer for a room at Pop Century with the free dining for next December for the two of us. We’ve usually stayed at CBR or PO, but went with Pop because of the Skyliner and bc with just the two of us, we won’t need a nicer room. We are park open to close people
I expect to miss the hot tub in December but that wasn’t worth the extra cost.
I know this is early for a 2020 trip, but what do we need to know about the second week of December at Disney? Will we be missing the worst of the Christmas crowds or should we plan on chaos? We are used to September level crowds, if that’s helpful.
I love Christmas so I’m super excited about the decorations in December!!

I always recommend to plan for chaos and then you could be happily surprised.
the real Christmas crowds start coming around Dec 19th and on. You will obviously see everything decorated, if you can squeeze a day for resort touring that's always a must.

We have gone to Disney around 12/7, our anniversary, every 2 yrs since 2011. Our last trip in 2017, was noticeably busier. But still not near peak crowds. We love his time of year with all the Christmas decorations, MVMCP, JBJB, & CP, while lower crowds. Definitely recommend resort touring to check out all the resort decorations, including if you have time, people’s own decorations at Fort Wilderness campgrounds.

1 Go to MVMCP. Read up on it and pick what you think are the things you want to do.

2. EPCOT Holiday festivities are not to be missed. Holiday storytellers, Candlelight Processional, food booths there is something for everyone.

3. Sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness.

4. EPCOT resorts and MK resorts decorations, including Gingerbread houses/displays at the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Beach club and Boardwalk.

5. SANTA is everywhere, well mostly. He is at MK, EPCOT, Studios and Disney Springs.

6. Disney Springs has entertainment and the Christmas tree trail.

7. Studios has a night time show for the holidays.

There are probably several things I am forgetting.

We will be making our first just-the-two-of-us trip the first week of Dec 2020. We will be focused on the Epcot Festival food booths, and plan on doing Candlelight Procession. Resort hopping to see the decorations are also planned.

We have always been big ride people because our kids love them. Our last trip in 2017 added in adult beverages for our kids so the price of meals went up considerably! LOL! We are planning on doing mostly QS places so that we can really just meander through the parks without a strict ADR/FP schedule.

We are also planning on doing activities that our kids were never interested in, like riding the Liberty Square Riverboat, or going on the Christmas-themed Jungle (Jingle?) Cruise. Or shopping at Disney Springs. Or spending time on the animal trails at AK. And since it is our kids, and NOT us, who love SW, we are going to skip Hollywood Studios altogether!

Our first adult-only trip is also December 2020 but the week before you. Those first 2 weeks of December are our favorite time to go - we made the mistake of going this past September and we couldn't take the heat!

The one thing happening your week that could make for higher crowds is Pop Warner, a football & cheer competition. There are packages for the teams at Pop Century, so I personally wouldn't want to be there that week. While you may not see them at the parks (they're competing during the day) the buses could be fuller and the overall resort just louder and more crowded. Because you're over a year out you do have enough time to change resorts if you want, but it may not bother you. Here's a link for more info: https://www.mydisneygroup.com/popwarner/

Otherwise, you will love that time of year, it's beautiful and even though it may be more crowded than September, the atmosphere is so nice you won't even notice it!

It's one of my favorite times to go! Weekends will be busy-ish but weekdays are totally dead. The decorations are amazing!

Check out the resort decorations especially the Grand Floridian. There's a small orchestra in the lobby there that plays Christmas music. The sets are different.

Take in a MVMCP.

The parks each have something special for the holidays like extra shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!