Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update From Ireland

The Irish Department of Health has recorded an additional 253 confirmed cases of Covid-19, while three further people who were diagnosed with the virus have died.

The death toll here now stands at 1,792, while the overall number of cases now stands at 32,271.

Of the cases notified today 143 are men and 108 are women, 71% are under 45 years of age.

The breakdown of today's cases is:
  • 116 in Dublin
  • 22 in Kildare
  • 14 in Cork
  • 14 in Galway
  • 13 in Donegal
  • 10 in Limerick
  • 10 in Louth,
  • 9 in Mayo
  • 8 in Waterford
  • 7 in Wicklow
The remaining 30 cases are located in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Tipperary, Westmeath.

Our Prime Minister has just addressed the nation and Dublin has gone into a localized lockdown for the next 3 weeks.

dublin level 3 18 September.jpg

New press conference in NL, as we aren't doing so great.

For the 6 most impacted areas, basically the provinces North & South Holland. (Please do not ask me about Holland versus The Netherlands ;-) ).
- Restaurant/bars/dance halls etc. turn off the music at midnight, by 01:00 everyone has to be out.
- No gatherings bigger than 50 people, some exclusions are for example religious gatherings, demonstrations, funerals, and theater productions.
- If you want more than 50 people, you need special permission (think open air concerts)

Other things:
- If your kid has just a runny nose (and no other symptoms like fever), they can go to school. Testing for children should only be done when they have been in contact or someone in their household has Covid or symptoms.
- Amsterdam & Rotterdam hospitals reopened their special Covid wards.
- 10% of the new cases comes from people catching at work: work from home if you can.

Mayors of the 6 most impacted areas will have their own announcements after the press conference about measures for their specific areas.
Amsterdam:
- Will close parks at night and make extra rounds to prevent illegal parties.
- specific opening hours at city halls etc. for the more vulnerable people. They ask stores & museums etc. to do the same.
- Supermarkets will have to go back to the system at the beginning, staff cleans baskets/trolleys, strict rules how many people can be in at once.
- Talks with students (corps) to see how to get some sense into their heads, and see what to do about their living conditions.

Last edited:

Yes, although it seems mutual. According to our news, US has extended both the US/Canadian border as well as the US/Mexican border.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news...18-20-intl/h_8b0ff23c39811878471945bef54240cd
I’m not sure how it works in the US but ours are air, land and sea. No non-essential international travel at into Canada at all other those covered by waivers. It’s not just a “keep America out” thing by any means. Canadians returning from abroad can’t be denied entry but they will have to enter isolation for 14 days.

@Jrb1979 - just curious - since you loved the preceding post does that mean you are or are not in favour of the border closures?

I’m not sure how it works in the US but ours are air, land and sea. No non-essential international travel at into Canada at all other those covered by waivers. It’s not just a “keep America out” thing by any means. Canadians returning from abroad can’t be denied entry but they will have to enter isolation for 14 days.

@Jrb1979 - just curious - since you loved the preceding post does that mean you are or are not in favour of the border closures?
I'm in favor of the land border staying closed til either cases are more under control in the US or they come up with better screening and able to do contact tracing with anyone that does come into our country if they get Covid.

I'm in favor of the land border staying closed til either cases are more under control in the US or they come up with better screening and able to do contact tracing with anyone that does come into our country if they get Covid.
Why not by air and sea also then? It seems kind of weird to me. (Sorry, I’m unclear where you are from - I’m assuming it’s the US)
https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

I didn’t take in as a personal slight against the US at all. It was just that I had read this earlier today from the US side, so it appears to be a mutual decision of both countries.

I’ll be honest that I don’t know the specifics - as I don’t plan to travel to either any time soon, I haven’t researched it.

I didn’t take in as a personal slight against the US at all. It was just that I had read this earlier today from the US side, so it appears to be a mutual decision of both countries.

I’ll be honest that I don’t know the specifics - as I don’t plan to travel to either any time soon, I haven’t researched it.
I surely didn’t want for it to sound like that. It’s easy for this kind of stuff to spiral off into chaos.:flower3:

Last edited:
Frost? I just can't.

We have had the most incredible summer. Most days 80s and sun. Still warm here but some cooler forecasts on the way. But by cooler I mean low seventies, laughing.
:mad: OK - so I arrive in Toronto yesterday and all of a sudden you’re having the coldest seasonal temps in the last 20 years?!? What’s up here Lisa? :rolleyes1 Come east they said, it’ll be warm here they said.

I think it’s a land-based closure. Air and sea are still allowed.
I will be crossing by land, there is a border town that in terms of safety ( in a non-covid era) is the safest place in North America. It is a econmical hub for mexico and esstential to 1,000s of US citizens. From what I know a month ago, that border has not been closed because it has tight covid measures, just like it has tight criminal measures. will let you know monday.

:mad: OK - so I arrive in Toronto yesterday and all of a sudden you’re having the coldest seasonal temps in the last 20 years?!? What’s up here Lisa? :rolleyes1 Come east they said, it’ll be warm here they said.

Such a shame Annette. We have been so warm. Wednesday I was at the island in summer clothes, feeling a very warm wind off the lake. It was 75 degrees. Big change. But Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be in the seventies again! Next Wednesday is showing 75 and sun.

Even with the cold, bright skies.

Big changes here in Ontario. Our numbers are rising. Our premier has scaled back caps on gatherings, in and outside the home in three regions in the province. Indoors from twenty-five, down to maximum of ten. Outdoors, huge cut - from a hundred down to a maximum of twenty-five.

Before this even happened I could see a massive change with mask wearing. I rarely ever saw people with masks on outside, we are mandated to wear them inside public buildings in Toronto.

And suddenly, about two weeks ago, I saw more and more people wearing masks outside - including many young people.

I never wear a mask outside, except on our open ferry where it is mandated. But even I wore one navigating a very narrow construction walkway last week.

And in other news - I had to call in about library books that were weirdly marked overdue in my account, when I knew I had returned them. Apparently "they are being held in quarantine and they will not be released for three days." Verbatim. :rotfl2:

The things one doesn't even think about during this virus. Or at least I didn't. I was so excited to have the library reopen, I didn't even think about what kind of procedures they have in place.

Last edited:
I’ve been reading through this thread over the last few days. My husband is working in Canada right now. We are American. When he arrived at the border (rental vehicle) he needed to have a written plan documenting how he was going to quarantine for 14 days. He had to go directly to his hotel (the hotel had been a part of helping him devise his strategy) check in and then not leave his room for two weeks. He had a 2 burner stove, refrigerator and a microwave. He had taken a cooler full of food and drinks in addition to several plastic bins of non perishables. He was allowed to order food for delivery although I don’t think he ever did and he was permitted to send his laundry out although he hasn’t needed to do that yet either. In both cases he was not to have contact with the person leaving/retrieving items on the other side of the door. His two weeks ended on Wednesday and he was moved to a smaller room without the kitchen amenities. He started work on Thursday. He was told that the Canadian government could send someone to check on him at any time to be sure he was where he was supposed to be, but they did not. He is fairly simple in his basic requirements so I don’t think it was too bad for him. I asked him where he was going to eat Wednesday night and he said in his room as he had 2 hot dogs left.

We’re away on a little vacation and I’ve not followed the news for a couple of days. I’ve just now heard that Canada had “officially” extended the border closure until at least Oct. 21.

I so meant to write here the other day to enjoy your time in “this neck of the woods” 🌈. Hopefully you brought an extra sweater. Brrr. I do hope you enjoy your getaway, it is much deserved. I hope one day it may be a bit closer to Montreal, and we can have a cig together. 🥰

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter