Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been reading through this thread over the last few days. My husband is working in Canada right now. We are American. When he arrived at the border (rental vehicle) he needed to have a written plan documenting how he was going to quarantine for 14 days. He had to go directly to his hotel (the hotel had been a part of helping him devise his strategy) check in and then not leave his room for two weeks. He had a 2 burner stove, refrigerator and a microwave. He had taken a cooler full of food and drinks in addition to several plastic bins of non perishables. He was allowed to order food for delivery although I don’t think he ever did and he was permitted to send his laundry out although he hasn’t needed to do that yet either. In both cases he was not to have contact with the person leaving/retrieving items on the other side of the door. His two weeks ended on Wednesday and he was moved to a smaller room without the kitchen amenities. He started work on Thursday. He was told that the Canadian government could send someone to check on him at any time to be sure he was where he was supposed to be, but they did not. He is fairly simple in his basic requirements so I don’t think it was too bad for him. I asked him where he was going to eat Wednesday night and he said in his room as he had 2 hot dogs left.

If he is in Montreal by chance, I’d be happy to bring him a home cooked meal, or anything he may need or want. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. 🌈

How very kind! He is actually in Ontario. He doesn’t require much to be content which is lucky in this type of situation.
Those isolation conditions are much stricter than they were when we returned home on March 21 just after the borders closed. We didn’t have to present an “approved plan” - just go straight home and stay there form14 days. Our DS, who had not travelled with us, was not under quarantine, so he was allowed to come and go for whatever supplies we needed and we were able to see people outside in our yard at an appropriate distance. We did receive one phone call from the contact tracers of our airline, just to confirm we were not sick. It seems like a lifetime ago now. :flower3:

for those who are interested in stats and figures and graphs etc this is Irelands dashboard https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/
About halfway down the page there is an interactive map of Ireland. You can zoom in and click on an electoral area and see the breakdown for that particular area.

Its very interesting comparing the areas in Dublin. The areas with high numbers are high density population, who are low income, who use public transport and if they still have a job would work in industry's where working from home is not possible. There would be a high amount of families and people under 40 in these areas, as well as a high population of migrant workers, ethnic backgrounds and multi generational households.

The low number areas of Dublin are the more affluent areas, who would have multi car households who don't rely on public transport. The houses are larger with just one generation of the family and the population is low density. The majority of the people would either be retired or working from home. The population is less ethnically diverse.

Those isolation conditions are much stricter than they were when we returned home on March 21 just after the borders closed. We didn’t have to present an “approved plan” - just go straight home and stay there form14 days. Our DS, who had not travelled with us, was not under quarantine, so he was allowed to come and go for whatever supplies we needed and we were able to see people outside in our yard at an appropriate distance. We did receive one phone call from the contact tracers of our airline, just to confirm we were not sick. It seems like a lifetime ago now. :flower3:

That’s interesting. I’m wondering if the difference is just policy changes as time passes or if it has more to do with him not being a Canadian returning home, but a foreigner coming in to work (not to mention coming from the US with our terrible level of cases). One of the issues he had was his rental car. Generally when he travels his expenses are paid by the company he is contracted with. In this case, they did not want to pay for his rental car to sit in the hotel parking lot for two weeks while he quarantined, but he was not permitted to drop the car off when he arrived and get some sort of a ride back to the hotel. Quite honestly I see all sides of that—to do that he would have potentially exposed people he would have had contact with to make that happen, but also it seems silly to pay for a car just to sit, but from his perspective he really didn’t have options.

That’s interesting. I’m wondering if the difference is just policy changes as time passes or if it has more to do with him not being a Canadian returning home, but a foreigner coming in to work (not to mention coming from the US with our terrible level of cases). One of the issues he had was his rental car. Generally when he travels his expenses are paid by the company he is contracted with. In this case, they did not want to pay for his rental car to sit in the hotel parking lot for two weeks while he quarantined, but he was not permitted to drop the car off when he arrived and get some sort of a ride back to the hotel. Quite honestly I see all sides of that—to do that he would have potentially exposed people he would have had contact with to make that happen, but also it seems silly to pay for a car just to sit, but from his perspective he really didn’t have options.
I’m sure this is it. The rules were and are the same for everyone. If we were to leave Canada now and return we would be under the exact same restrictions. We would have to submit our quarantine plan and have our home approved as an isolation site. Our DS, if he was in residence with us, would also have to quarantine now.

The rules have evolved non-stop and we can presume they are still evolving. Even back then when we were quarantining, it was initially permitted for us to leave our premises for outdoor exercise. Mid-way through it was announced that people in isolation could not leave their own properties so even fresh air and sunshine was restricted to our own backyard. For citizens, there was/is a $1,200 fine for the first instance of non-compliance and the possibility of being taken into custody for repeated violations. Non-citizens are subject to immediate deportation.

Such a shame Annette. We have been so warm. Wednesday I was at the island in summer clothes, feeling a very warm wind off the lake. It was 75 degrees. Big change. But Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be in the seventies again! Next Wednesday is showing 75 and sun.

Even with the cold, bright skies.
:( We had a reservation for a special dinner at Bluebloods at Casa Loma on Thursday night that we cancelled when we arrived and they were only seating on the patio. Brrrr...I’m still shivering just thinking about it.

We stayed at the Old Mill Inn - what neighbourhood is that? It was really lovely there. We also had a great morning Friday strolling around Bloor West Village and having breakfast. It was decently warm in the sun. :goodvibes

We’re in Ottawa today and are going apple-picking with DH’s grandkids, which I am told is a quintessential Ontario autumnal activity. I wish I’d brought my winter coat and mitts. :cold:

Last edited:
Today in Melbourne, for the second day in a row, the case numbers are lower than the temperature! Yesterday we had 21 cases and a beautiful 26 degrees Celsius and today 14 cases and 24 degrees. Our 14 day average is now 36.2 so we are definitely on track to progress to the next stage of re-opening after next weekend.

It all was nearly derailed by a cluster in the outer east with a group of 5 households who broke restrictions (visits to other people and the 5km limit) which has resulted in 40 cases and 3 hospitalisations so far. The households are from a particular country and rather than these people being fined for the breaches the Chief Health Officer offered to go and speak to members of the community as he has had lived in that country for several years and feels he has an understanding of some of the issues they may be facing in following these restrictions. Instead he has been accused of ‘targeting’ this community and been forced to apologise, which I think is ridiculous. They think the cluster is hopefully under control now.

Today Montreal officially went to Orange, once step away from Red. We can no longer have 10 people gatherings in our homes, 6 is the max. Rented areas such as halls or places of worship went from 250 to 50. Bars and restaurants must finish serving food and alcohol by 11, and midnight close. believe they also lowered the amount of people per table as well. We had 460 odd cases today, numbers are going slowly higher in hospitals, as well as ICU. Not high like March, but we all know how quickly that can and did happen here. We were told that the fear is they many not have the medical personnel if we get to that point.

So far we are not seeing any lockdown, or not being allowed to travel amongst other areas, but they are highly suggesting not doing it. I am once again hearing and seeing about people i know testing positive, but mainly their children, and A lot my son‘s age (24).

I feel that we are in the “here we go” stage. 😬

Johnson is due to make an announcement today and it appears that England teeters on the verge of reentering lockdown. Sturgeon will probably pre empt his announcement with slightly different rules for Scotland and Drakeford will come up with something slightly different again for Wales. Most Universities are recommencing teaching today, so thousands of students left their homes to relocate to their Uni cities during the weekend. Supermarkets are being stripped of goods again as people begin panic buying. Here we go again.

I will be crossing by land, there is a border town that in terms of safety ( in a non-covid era) is the safest place in North America. It is a econmical hub for mexico and esstential to 1,000s of US citizens. From what I know a month ago, that border has not been closed because it has tight covid measures, just like it has tight criminal measures. will let you know monday.
so the border here at the colorado river is not closed to US citizens entering...may be for residents of mexico to enter the US...but US citizens are free to enter and no one is question about the visit, though I suspect 90% or more for medical, us for precriptions. The US is however has put more folks ain the interview room as a covid response, normally one or two. What is going to happen though is that produce prices are going to increase because it is taking a long time for harvest labor to cross the border, 3x the normal wait anyother year.

I'm so profoundly annoyed, ok LIVID with the irresponsible antics of car enthusiasts in my hometown (Hamilton) 45ish miles from Toronto. A mass gathering of more than 500 cars, and 1,000 entitled 20 somethings. No masks, No social distancing, verbal assault of Police and a local news anchor!

We are promised by our Premier that the law enforcement here are going through videos, the host and participating vehicle owners will be fined.

:( We had a reservation for a special dinner at Bluebloods at Casa Loma on Thursday night that we cancelled when we arrived and they were only seating on the patio. Brrrr...I’m still shivering just thinking about it.

We stayed at the Old Mill Inn - what neighbourhood is that? It was really lovely there. We also had a great morning Friday strolling around Bloor West Village and having breakfast. It was decently warm in the sun. :goodvibes

We’re in Ottawa today and are going apple-picking with DH’s grandkids, which I am told is a quintessential Ontario autumnal activity. I wish I’d brought my winter coat and mitts. :cold:

Next five days in the seventies Annette. Three are supposed to be 75.

I'm so profoundly annoyed, ok LIVID with the irresponsible antics of car enthusiasts in my hometown (Hamilton) 45ish miles from Toronto. A mass gathering of more than 500 cars, and 1,000 entitled 20 somethings. No masks, No social distancing, verbal assault of Police and a local news anchor!

We are promised by our Premier that the law enforcement here are going through videos, the host and participating vehicle owners will be fined.

I can’t find the location of where they were, have they mentioned it locally? I’m from the west mountain originally and my family still lives there and works in the Meadowlands.

Our new protocols -a scaling back in numbers for gatherings - for the three regions in Ontario went to province wide yesterday. And numbers continue to climb.

But like I said I do see more and more people with masks on outside here. So there is great thought by many in the city core, and most are young.

I am not surprised by the uptake in numbers as you can tell more and more people are back to work (outside the home) or at least moving around more. The streetcars were desolate for quite awhile as were our regional trains. There is a marked difference now. And I am waiting much longer for an elevator (condo - three people maximum). Huge difference. So way more movement.

I was at a birthday party in a more rural area last week. Some part of it outside, some in. My sister and I were the only ones wearing a mask. I found that interesting. We were definitely odd man out and I think the only two from the city.

I can’t find the location of where they were, have they mentioned it locally? I’m from the west mountain originally and my family still lives there and works in the Meadowlands.

Ancaster.

My sister told me Ford just said if we weren't so backed up with MRIs he would send them all for a brain scan. Oh Dougie.

Our new protocols -a scaling back in numbers for gatherings - for the three regions in Ontario went to province wide yesterday. And numbers continue to climb.

But like I said I do see more and more people with masks on outside here. So there is great thought by many in the city core, and most are young.

I am not surprised by the uptake in numbers as you can tell more and more people are back to work (outside the home) or at least moving around more. The streetcars were desolate for quite awhile as were our regional trains. There is a marked difference now. And I am waiting much longer for an elevator (condo - three people maximum). Huge difference. So way more movement.

I was at a birthday party in a more rural area last week. Some part of it outside, some in. My sister and I were the only ones wearing a mask. I found that interesting. We were definitely odd man out and I think the only two from the city.
The thing is that majority of the new cases are from private homes and parties. As well as I believe over 60% of the cases are from people under 40. Its a shame that we all worked hard to get the numbers low and so many young people just don't care.

The thing is that majority of the new cases are from private homes and parties. As well as I believe over 60% of the cases are from people under 40. Its a shame that we all worked hard to get the numbers low and so many young people just don't care.

I hear you.

It's true. And I live in the area downtown where most of the cases are being documented. And they are just like you are saying, under forty.

But it's weird that I am suddenly seeing so many young people wearing masks everywhere, when even I am not.

I don't know. Maybe it is group mentality. Individually or with their spouses/partners, out and about, masks on. That is what I am seeing in my very young neighbourhood. But go to a gathering - whether a huge one or a small dinner party - it's easier to just go with the flow of what the majority is doing?

The party I was at I honestly got the feeling that I looked like the weird one, wearing one. And for limiting hugging those that I love and have missed. I didn't care but it is the vibe I got. I wore it for me, for everyone, and honestly for two people in attendance that I feel would not survive the virus. But those two people did not wear masks. I was dumbfounded. Outside fine. But inside? I kept hearing my bubble, without me saying a thing. Well that bubble was damn big.

And the party was being catered. And the two chefs were indoors the entire time, with no masks.

---------

I don't get it. It is like people think if you care about someone they are incapable of getting the virus, and giving it to you. I find it so nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter