Cream of corn soup with lump crabmeat

Beth E. (NJ)

<font color=red>Disney obsessed<br><font color=blu
When I found this corn related recipe I couldn't resist.

CREAM OF CORN SOUP WITH LUMP CRABMEAT
By Chef Rob Mitchell - New Orleans Cuisine

INGREDIENTS:
4 oz. whole butter
1 yellow onion, diced
5 stalks celery, diced
2 cups fresh, shaved-off-the-cob white or yellow corn
Flour to dust
1 cup fish or a light chicken stock
1/2 tsp. dry thyme
1 oz. bourbon
1 Tblsp. chopped garlic
5 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 quart cream
1/2 cup lump crabmeat (shells removed)
Salt and white pepper

DIRECTIONS:
In a heavy pot, melt butter over low heat. Add onions and celery while stirring constantly. When onions are translucent, add corn and continue to stir until corn is tender. Add enough flour to coat all vegetables; stir in well. Add stock slowly while stirring until all is incorporated. Stir in cream, thyme, bay leaves and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add bourbon and remove from heat. Heat up lump crabmeat in a small amount of whole butter, place in bottom of bowl. Pour soup over crab meat and garnish with chopped parsley.

Yield: 1/2 Gallon

I wonder if you could substitute other shellfish/fish for the crab meat? I bet shrimp would work nice or small scallops too.

This sounds really gummy!!! I will be trying this very soon. I think any seafood would do in this soup. Even how about putting two or three together? That is if the pockets book would allow.:cool: :cool:

My mom used to make something similar to this. (She may still, but I don't live with her. :)) She used whatever seafood was on sale.

Actually since it's a really small amount of crab meat you could probably leave it out altogether and not effect the recipe much. Or if you substitute I would use a 1/4 lb of something else.

One thing to remember though - lump crabmeat is cooked before it is canned - so if you are using another fish please cook it before you put in the soup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter