Cricut Cutting Mats- Renewing Tackness!

Downrivermama

Mouseketeer<br><font color=2d008e>The Tag Fairy wa
Ladies, I found a product that you can apply to the Cricut cutting mat to make it sticky again.

It's Wacky Tac and I got mine bottles off of QVC a while ago. I've also seen it in some stores.

I have had some Wacky Tac for a while and haven't used it much so I thought I would give it a try and apply some to one of my mats that had lost tackness. The bottle is a sponge applicator and I spread a light coat over the mat, being carefull to not get it outside the lines where it would effect the rollers.

Let it dry and tried it. It works great! I cut out a bunch of stuff the other night and it is still holding up. I also found out that you can rotate the mat to extend the life of the mat.

I know that there was a thread on here about trying to re-tack the mats, but couldn't find it.

I am able to get mats at ACMoore with a 40% coupon, sometimes 50% coupon. It buying the Wacky Tack more cost efficient than buying new mats?

I use the big chisel tipped Zig Pen, swipe it on, let it dry and bam good as new.

To keep the edges of the mat clear of glue you can mask it off using masking tape.

I use the big chisel tipped Zig Pen, swipe it on, let it dry and bam good as new.

To keep the edges of the mat clear of glue you can mask it off using masking tape.

I will have to try that!

But I do love the smell of a new cricut mat :lovestruc

Okay... I am so tired to running through mats! After reading this I ran out to Michaels and bought what I think is the product you are referring to... The package says ZIG 2 way glue CHISEL TIP.

I have my mats sitting here...I am ready...is this the correct product? I am going to wipe them clean with baby wipes, anything else I should do?

I wiped all the old adhesive off first but I'm sure you can do it without taking that off.

now I will say first that Provo Craft says this will void the warranty on your machine but my machine is almost a year old so the warranty would be over anyway.

OK on with the class. Yes I think you got the right pen, it's blue right?
You either want to note where the adhesive ends on the mat or mask off the edges with tape. You do not want to glue all the way up to the edge of the mat or it will stick to the rollers.
Swipe the glue evenly and not to heavily over the whole area. It will look blue at first but when it dries it will be clear. do not put the protective cover back on the mat.
Find a flat surface to keep the mat until it's dry (no more blue and not wet looking) I typically let mine dry over night.

and you are good to go! Repeat as needed.

is this the one you bought?
product_3110_lg.jpg

I just looked and the one I got was bigger sorry I swear it said chisel tip. Yours will work too.
product_3111_lg.jpg

I also found this one at eksuccess.com but have never seen it in person.
product_3109_lg.jpg

I just finished coating one of my mats. I will leave it over night and report back tomorrow. If it works for me, I will get the larger glue pen that you have. The Chisel pen took some time to color in the mat... however it was easy to not go out of the lines with it.

Cross your fingers for me... I'll post tomorrow...my success!:)

I've used repositionable spray too, but it doesn't stay sticky for long. I ended up using blue tape to keep the paper from slipping. I don't recommend it...

I broke down and got a new set of mats at Walmart, and OMG... I think they are using a different adhesive. These mats have stayed sticky for WAY longer than the ones that I bought before. The adhesive looks like it's little dots on the surface... well, whatever they did :woohoo:

I'm going to try the ZIG glue next...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter