crock pot questions

TxAnn

Mouseketeer
Since I received a new larger crock pot for Christmas, I'm on a mission to use it more often. I've really enjoyed looking over the crock pot crazy thread.

I have tried out several chicken recipes in the past, and have never been happy with how they turned out. The chicken always has a "mushy" texture. Has anyone else had this problem? I've only used boneless, skinless breasts before. I'm going to try the roast sticky chicken next week. Maybe using a whole chicken will make a difference in the texture?? Oh, and if you've used a whole chicken, did you remove the skin, or does that help with the flavor?

I agree with you. The skin on, in my opinion, just created one more issue to deal with, and didn't change the texture of the meat. The only thing I've found that kind of helps is to leave the pieces unbothered and in the largest pieces you can. Once it's done cooking, remove the large pieces and allow them to rest for a few minutes, then shred or dice or whatever you want, but to shred or dice while it's still in the crockpot will yield very mushy meat.

Pulled BBQ chicken turns out great in the crock pot for this very reason:thumbsup2

Boneless chicken will cook faster than that on the bone so many people will use them frozen or semi frozen even though you are warned not to; I have never tried this so I can't vouch for how it will turn out (I'm afraid of making everyone sick), I just cook it for the shortest time given. I love to cook chicken pieces on the bone in the crockpot and I leave the skin on; if you want you can brown it first for more flavor and better texture.

Remember to NOT overload the crock (fill only 3/4 full) and to not add too much liquid (only 1/3 the way up the food) unless it's soup or sauce. What I've done is gotten books from the library that have recipes close to the ones we like that are stove-top or oven made and to try them.

I cook EVERYTHING in my crockpots! I love them. But, I always use frozen meat, I leave very early in the morning and don't return til later in the evening so I use frozen meat and put it on low and everything turns out perfectly!!

I've had that problem with chicken too. Doesn't matter what cut I'm using or if I'm using a whole chicken. Guess it is just too long to cook it. Can never even get it to come out of the crock pot in big pieces. Always have to "strain" it out.

I find if I do crockpot lady's fajitas (I use chicken i/o steak) its a bit mushy as the chicken is in strips, but everything else is fine. I often use frozen or semi frozed, and give it an hour or so on high and rest on low (depending when we want to eat) and no-one's been sick yet! Just use common sense - if it looks pink give it a quick nuke in the microwave;)

I always take skin off, and mostly use skinless boneless breasts - bone-in can be difficult to remove bone, bits can break off. With whole chicken I take off skin and tend not to add liquid - just seasonings - and it tastes (and feels) like "real" roast chicken:eek:

Thanks for everyone's input!

With whole chicken I take off skin and tend not to add liquid - just seasonings - and it tastes (and feels) like "real" roast chicken:eek:

Glad to hear this. I hope I have the same results! :goodvibes

I made the roast sticky chicken from the crockpot recipe thread yesterday. Out of my family of 6, 5 of us really liked it! The only hold out was my 7 year old, but honestly he's not a big chicken fan no matter how it's cooked.

I finally made chicken in the crockpot that didn't taste mushy! :laughing:

YAY!:banana::woohoo: We also love the one with a packet of Stovetop on the top, or the crockpot lady one where you put the chicken on the bottom with pesto, cover with foil and put baked potatoes on the top - yummy!

YAY!:banana::woohoo: We also love the one with a packet of Stovetop on the top, or the crockpot lady one where you put the chicken on the bottom with pesto, cover with foil and put baked potatoes on the top - yummy!

Those both sound great too! I will have to try them soon. Thanks for the suggetions. :)

DS(12) is usually a bit "anti" baked potatoes (he won't eat the skin) but done in the crockpot they're not crispy and he eats every bite:goodvibes DSis bought both crockpot lady recipe books as after I sent her the link she was spending all day online looking at recipes:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter