Crossroads is closing?

halfpintpeggy

DIS Veteran
Oh no! Is it true that the Crossroads is closing? We find it such a convenient location for dining & grabbing quick groceries. And from what I read, much of the land is going to be used for retaining ponds - what do you guys know about this? DH & I are really disappointed to hear this news.

The actual date is not clear but yes, Crossroads is closing and being demolished as part of a redesign of the ramps for I4 at that intersection. That intersection has needed a major redesign to deal with the dramatic increase in traffic over the years and they just cannot delay it any longer. The project includes a redesign of the ramps (I'll see if I can find the plan of the site and post here) as well as some movement of runoff retention ponds and the like that will take up the space currently occupied by Crossroads.

EDIT: Here is a link to approximately what the redesigned intersection will look like when it's finished.
http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/SEGMENT1_SR535_RECOMMENDED.pdf

Details of the project were first reported back in late 2016. We are just now getting closer to it actually happening as they begin notifying the tenants.

Last edited:
The actual date is not clear but yes, Crossroads is closing and being demolished as part of a redesign of the ramps for I4 at that intersection. That intersection has needed a major redesign to deal with the dramatic increase in traffic over the years and they just cannot delay it any longer. The project includes a redesign of the ramps (I'll see if I can find the plan of the site and post here) as well as some movement of runoff retention ponds and the like that will take up the space currently occupied by Crossroads.

EDIT: Here is a link to approximately what the redesigned intersection will look like when it's finished.
http://www.i4express.com/Seg1Docs/SEGMENT1_SR535_RECOMMENDED.pdf

Details of the project were first reported back in late 2016. We are just now getting closer to it actually happening as they begin notifying the tenants.

Thanks so much for all of the information! Geez, the need for redesign is evident, but still doesn't curb our disappointment.

@halfpintpeggy both my DH and myself were also upset to hear the news as we really like Crossroad as it so easy to get to grab a bit to eat or a quick food shop.

When I went in my 20s with some buddies we stayed offsite right near there and ate there nearly every night, so will definitely be sad to see it go.

i Would assume other eateries/hotels in the area will be demoed as well which as a local is a shame cause between that and my assumption the speedways on property will be going to Disney pricing there will be no where to go to get a cheap drink before the long drive home

I didn’t know there was a Taco Bell that close to Disney (hey I like it, just leave it at that). This kind of makes me upset since I eat off property at one of the chains every so often

This news is over 1.5 years old as it's been part of a long term improvement project of I-4. The only real question is when would it start and the last we talked about it is when will they begin negotiating the land purchases ... which could take up to a couple years. This lastest news just verified what was said, they hope to buy the land in 18 mos time.

While it may seem like lots of ponds, there is always a need for detention ponds when you create all this roadway and runoff.

The sad part is the tacky store at the exit looks like it will survive ... I wish they would widen enough to level that thing.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/crossroads-plaza.3599549/

Loop%2BRamp.jpg

lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads-crop.jpg

This news is over 1.5 years old as it's been part of a long term improvement project of I-4. The only real question is when would it start and the last we talked about it is when will they begin negotiating the land purchases ... which could take up to a couple years. This lastest news just verified what was said, they hope to buy the land in 18 mos time.

While it may seem like lots of ponds, there is always a need for detention ponds when you create all this roadway and runoff.

The sad part is the tacky store at the exit looks like it will survive ... I wish they would widen enough to level that thing.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/crossroads-plaza.3599549/

lakebuenavista-i4-crossroads-crop.jpg
The new news is it’s officially happening with work beginning sooner rather than later. That’s why it’s been resurfaced.

The new news is it’s officially happening with work beginning sooner rather than later. That’s why it’s been resurfaced.

Still not news, I don't believe it was never not happening, they were just trying to finalize the alternative they were choosing. This all came out in January that is was moving forward, and the only question was how soon they thought they could obtain the properties once the alternative was selected. It appears they think they can negotiate the deals in 18 mos, maybe they will, maybe they won't as there is much involved in doing this.

This is only news to people who didn't know it was happening.

Still not news, I don't believe it was never not happening, they were just trying to finalize the alternative they were choosing. This all came out in January that is was moving forward, and the only question was how soon they thought they could obtain the properties once the alternative was selected. It appears they think they can negotiate the deals in 18 mos, maybe they will, maybe they won't as there is much involved in doing this.

This is only news to people who didn't know it was happening.
https://wdwnt.com/2018/04/fdot-nego...ping-center-tenants-told-18-months-to-vacate/

I don’t understand why you’re complaining about a recent story that came out from several sources. Not everyone is up on every single Orlando news story like you apparently are either. I’m sorry you feel this isn’t news but it is to some so no need to complain that this isn’t news.

We like the Pirates golf place plus it was a good area to get away from the mobs occasionally. Too bad for those businesses.

For those of us that live on 535 just east of Disney, this will be a welcome change - even though it will probably make things more difficult in the short term.

Sometimes, traffic has been so backed up to get on I-4 off 535 just past the Crossroads that we can't even get out of our neighborhood to go west without a u-turn and some serious waiting. The turning lane onto Disney property is also the only lane to get on I-4 in BOTH directions from the Doctor Phillips side of 535.

Got to agree with @Keels above. We are on the other side of Disney and avoid that area whenever possible because of the traffic.

However, I will miss Tom & Chee when they close.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/04/fdot-nego...ping-center-tenants-told-18-months-to-vacate/

I don’t understand why you’re complaining about a recent story that came out from several sources. Not everyone is up on every single Orlando news story like you apparently are either. I’m sorry you feel this isn’t news but it is to some so no need to complain that this isn’t news.
As someone who frequents this forum pretty frequently, I’ll be the first to say that this is very new news for me

Road construction, changes in traffic maintenance are continual in that area, to accommodate the masses of visitors. I guess it will cause havoc as it’s being done, and further opportunity to get lost.... Crossroads has been my point of reference from both sides. Oh well, can’t stop change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter