Cruising with 3 electric wheelchairs

eternaldisneyfan

<font color=royalblue>Have an Attitude of Gratitud
My family is thinking about cruising. I use an Invacare Arrow electric wheelchair full time, 24 hour GJ tube feeds, partial IV nutrition, trach, part-time ventilation, and a host of medication. My sister also uses an electric wheelchair full time and sleeps on a ventilator. My mom would walk around the cabin but use her wheelchair any time we left the room-she sleeps with a bi-pap. My Dad sleeps with a ventilator for obstructive sleep apnea. We require a lot of electricity. We have to bring 4 extension plugs wih 6 plugs each (24 plugs about 50 watts)-so we need at least 4, preferably 5 plugs. We also have tons of equipment. Ideally we would need a king bed and 3 others (fold out couch is fine) but could manage with 2 queens and preferably another bed.

How big are the handicap rooms? Would it be better to get a deluxe family suite (bathroom is not that big a deal as my Dad carries us)? Can wheelchairs get into the deluxe family suites (door size, stairs) Are there enough plugs? Would any room have enough space for 3 wheelchairs-two that would need to drive around? Can we access all areas of the ship (stairs, narrow doorways/aisles, impossible turns)? Does the transfer boat on the gangway have a lift or ramp to accomodate electric wheelchairs? Do all the ports (California cruise) go directly onto sand or steps-could we go to any of them? Is there enough wheelchair accessible entertainment to warrant the high price? Could I get a discount since I wouldn't be eating (food is included in price)?

The Disney cruiseline website has very poor information.

Thanks for your help :)

Christamae

Christamae- only the suites ( Cat. 3) and two of the Cat. 5's sleep four guests. The Cat 5. rooms have one queen, a sofa sleeper ( twin mattress in back of sofa that stateroom host folds down), and another "murphy" bed. The Cat. 3's have a separate bedroom ( queen), and a sofa sleeper which is like a double bed. Electricity should be aplenty. Although I am the only family member travelling with similar equipment, I just bring a multiple outlet strip and ask for an extension cord. There is no discount for those of us on tube feeding as meals are factored into the cost of the cruise. We are going on the 14 night cruise to Calif and with pre and post stays I figured I would need to bring 95 cans of tube feeding, so I'm also bringing a blender and will have help to blend some "meals". Hope you get to go- the entertainment is fantastic, there's a new stage show premiering on the 14 night cruise, and of course, "Disney" quality. It is easy access on/off the ship via a ramp, however the ports are not w/c accessible except I did hear Mazatlan would have one accessible vehicle for shore excursions. My biggest concern for your family would be the elevators. They barely accomodate my chair/vent/pump attached and my kids....two chairs would be impossible and the wait times can be excessive. Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter