Crusie reading suggestions

dthogue

DIS Veteran
Looking for some suggestions on good books to take along on our October cruise. I like romance or mystery types. I have gone through all my favorite authors and looking for something new

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (of The Girl on the Train)

The Woman In Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (don't worry...it isn't that creepy on a large ship...would not want to read it on a river cruise or small small boat)

The Girl Before by JP Delaney

Our library always has a small section of used books people have donated. You can purchase them for less than a dollar, and the money goes back to the library. I checked out the shelf a couple times and found some good ones. And for that cheap of a price, it's okay if the book turns out to be a bust!
You can probably find some good books at local garage and yard sales, too - tis the season!

y mom loves this series. She loves how the main character is human... a little clumsy, but perseveres through.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Money-St...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VTMJ2QTC27QGSP5MHE2Z

This series takes place in Trenton, New Jersey. My wife and I grew up one town over, so we read the first several books in the series together. It was fun when places we know turned up. But of course, a lot of the Novels are pretty gritty, and our town was pretty suburban, so night and day sometimes.

Looking for some suggestions on good books to take along on our October cruise. I like romance or mystery types. I have gone through all my favorite authors and looking for something new

Romance -- Courtney Milan is a favorite of mine. I like her Brothers Sinister series. Cecelia Tan's Hard Licks series is just finished, and that'll be my cruise reading in October.

Last edited by a moderator:

I read Moby Dick on one cruise. Had always wanted to read it, and found the sea very fitting place to read it.

I'm also a big fan of Sarah Waters' books, but they aren't everyone's taste.

Some others...

small great things - Jodi Picoult
Elena Ferrante's Neopolitan Novels
The Book of Strange New Things - Michael Faber
The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect - both by Graeme Simsion
Any of Sarah Addison Allen's books
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend - Matthew Dicks

W
Who are your favorite authors? I like the same type books you do. I also like some authors that appeal to men and women like Lee child, Harlan Coben, Jeffery Archer and Brad Thor to name a few. It really depends on what I'm in the mood for. I just finished a romance novel by Barbara Freethy. I needed a change of pace so I just started a Jack Reacher, Lee Child novel. I tend to like books with strong male characters. I read a lot so if I knew who your favorite authors are I could probably help.

A series that I recommend to anyone who like mystery and romance together is the Eve Dallas In Death series by J.D. Robb. J.D. Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts. The mystery is the core part of the story with the romance thrown in from time to time. My husband likes these as well. We like to listen to books on tape and usually do one of these on any road trip. I always recommend starting with the first few #1 Naked in Death to get a feel for the characters. But after the first few it is possible to listen to any of the 30+ stories out of order as each mystery is stand alone but the main characters development continues from book to book.

Reading on a cruise? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Just kidding. Enjoy!

Last edited:
I read Moby Dick on one cruise. Had always wanted to read it, and found the sea very fitting place to read it.
I did this once as well!

I also read one of the Disney - Kingdom Keepers on the cruise once, even though it's for young adults, it was great because it was based on the cruise ship.

I did this once as well!

I also read one of the Disney - Kingdom Keepers on the cruise once, even though it's for young adults, it was great because it was based on the cruise ship.
Oh! Which Kingdom Keepers book is based on the ship? I've read the first two books in the series so far and they are wonderful. My kids loved them, too. Anyway, the first one takes place in Magic Kingdom, while the second was in Animal Kingdom. I have the other 5 books, but haven't gotten to them, yet.

Oh! Which Kingdom Keepers book is based on the ship? I've read the first two books in the series so far and they are wonderful. My kids loved them, too. Anyway, the first one takes place in Magic Kingdom, while the second was in Animal Kingdom. I have the other 5 books, but haven't gotten to them, yet.
Kingdom Keepers VI: Dark Passage

Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico

I'll second the Outlander Series if you are a romance fan, it's a must read.

I just started Mary Balough's Wescott Series, I just finished Someone to Love and now reading Someone to Hold, she writes in a way where it's hard to put the book down so you may need to bring a few.

If you like Vampire Romance, I am on book 5 of the Black Dagger Brotherhood - really really good series

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter