Curious what people are doing with summer reservations?

That appears to be true for travel credits with Southwest that were set to expire currently and to cancelling flight scheduled through the end of May. But in regard to cancelling future scheduled flights -- as in after May 31st or into the summer, Southwest does not appear to be offering the extended credit.

We just cancelled flights for late June and early July and the travel credits generated from these cancellations are set to expire 1 year from when they were PURCHASED - meaning they are expiring in early Dec 2020 and early Feb 2021 because that was when we originally purchased. :( This does not make me happy.

Per Southwest Airlines email on March 20th:
Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.
Southwest has updated their travel fund plans since that email. This is on their website.
However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
It can take up to five business days for the new expiration date to appear in your account. It will also take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes.

Masks in the Florida heat are a no-go for us so we will likely try to rent out our Polynesian reservation 8/2 - 8/9 and pick a better experience vacation. They were borrowed points because we were supposed to be at Vero this past April. Whole thing is a cluster.

First 10 days of June - moved to the first 10 days of July. Then we cancelled. Will probably lose 55 points but I would rather lose those points than risk the health or lives of my family.

Still booked for Aug 30 - Sep 5. Took a rough guess on when Disney would reopen by and hoping I’m right.
Excited to experience lower crowds and different forms of entertainment. Not excited for masks in hurricane season.

Still have a VGC reservation booked for mid-July. I'm sure it isn't going to happen, but I'm holding on to it just in case. Due to kids' college schedules I'm not sure when else we could go so I don't really have a great time to move it to. I have a note on my calendar to cancel before points would have to go into holding and/or call DVC to make sure they will still be waiving the holding rule in July.

Over on the rumors board there’s a thread with info from a reliable poster on wdwmagic that posits that Disney was not planning on opening till 8/31, now mag have to because Uni is. How would that work with DVC if Florida timeshares can operate?

There are reliable members on the WDWMagic discussion boards that have been stating a July 5th reopening, to avoid 4th of July crowds and balancing the expectation of fireworks and social distancing guidelines.

Based on the official park schedule, June seems unlikely.

Last edited:
We had someone rent points for a week at the beginning of July that I’m hoping isn’t effected. They said they weren’t planning on doing parks anyway and so far they’re still wanting to go. I hope it works out. I’m a little nervous about my late November trip too.

Last week we decided to cancel our late August trip and rebooked for April school vacation. I just can't justify going down there with an 8 month old during a pandemic especially with all these kids developing crazy symptoms. We were able to bank our points so that worked out. Lost 2 points which in the scheme of things, was a small price to pay.

That appears to be true for travel credits with Southwest that were set to expire currently and to cancelling flight scheduled through the end of May. But in regard to cancelling future scheduled flights -- as in after May 31st or into the summer, Southwest does not appear to be offering the extended credit.

We just cancelled flights for late June and early July and the travel credits generated from these cancellations are set to expire 1 year from when they were PURCHASED - meaning they are expiring in early Dec 2020 and early Feb 2021 because that was when we originally purchased. :( This does not make me happy.

Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.
Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.

Today at 3:18 PM
Island_Lauri said:

Southwest has updated their travel fund plans since that email. This is on their website.
However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:
  • Customers’ funds that have expired or will expire between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will now expire September 7, 2022.
  • Any travel funds created because you cancel a flight between March 1 – September 7, 2020, will expire September 7, 2022.
It can take up to five business days for the new expiration date to appear in your account. It will also take our Technology Team a few days to make these changes.

We're still planning on our September trip. I feel like Disney is trying to open both coasts resorts at the same time for some reason. There really is no other reason for them to not open in June.

6/20-6/27 at RIV. At this point I need to wait and have WDW cancel us because I’m using 2018 Dec UY points in addition to 2019 points that I don’t want to lose. If they cancel I will try for August.

We have 7/27-8/1 booked at BLT and BCV. We figured if Disney opens at the earliest of July 1, we would reschedule to February vacation week since our AP would be extended to cover that week. (Already booked for a November trip) Couldn't fathom wearing masks in July. However we sadly just had to put our dog down so now we are all extremely ready to get a break from homelife so we are going if they are open.

We have 7/27-8/1 booked at BLT and BCV. We figured if Disney opens at the earliest of July 1, we would reschedule to February vacation week since our AP would be extended to cover that week. (Already booked for a November trip) Couldn't fathom wearing masks in July. However we sadly just had to put our dog down so now we are all extremely ready to get a break from homelife so we are going if they are open.
So sorry about your dog.

Thank you for this information. This makes me very happy. :)

Our next trip is for end of Oct. 2020. We lost our April/May trip with the closing of Disney Resorts. I dont think Disney is feeling any pressure to open because Universal or anyone else is open. I think they just want a solid plan that can cover all sorts of issues and re-training. Worked in retail for years and new store opening syou wanted soft openings with small crowds to work out the bugs and for training. I believe Disney will be doing same thing. If its at 20% or less at parks or hotels that will work. Training of staff and dealing with all the different issues will be key. They will have the % that wont keep masks on, distance issues and mother nature for summer of heat will be challenges. I say hope for best for all. We all want to return and have fun, just need to deal with changes.

Cancelled April/May trip. Going to Myrtle Beach next week.

August trip (cruise & WL): hope to get refund/cancellation vs future cruise credit when it comes down to the date. Cancelled WL & banked points back into 2020. Figured good time to do so before MS quit making that special accommodation.

Now, set for split trip between Universal & a value. Did cancel our tix for the first MNSSHP. Want to see how that is going to play out before deciding.

The technology team has been working to also set up a system to convert any funds into points...sooner vs later would be nice:)

Points are more flexible, don’t expire as long as there is account activity every 2 years as I understand it.

Can also use the points for anyone, not the person associated with the original flight credit

note that if you do utilize the extended funds’ credit, the clock will start ticking again on their expiration date.

Have cancelled late May and July reservations. Still have GV at OKW mid-August but will probably cancel that one too. Not worth the risk, plus, need them to lift the CT residents restrictions.

mac_tlc

Calling tomorrow to cancel our late August stay at OKW. Hopefully rebooking for March 2021. Coming from Canada and not sure the CAN/US border will even open this summer.

It's curious that Disney and Universal didn't do the same thing. They usually do. I have to wonder if Disney decided they were going to wait until it looked like FL was getting COVID cases under control, and since at this point they seem to only be holding the rate steady, they have decided it's better to wait than reopen and then close again. I guess we'll find out this week.

We moved our March vacation to (now) the beginning of August. Just yesterday I changed my mind about part of the trip and was able to get a Garden Grill reservation for 6PM and a touringplans watch came through with a 6:30PM Beaches and Cream reservation. That makes me think quite a few people are canceling their reservations for August.

Bruce

It's curious that Disney and Universal didn't do the same thing. They usually do. I have to wonder if Disney decided they were going to wait until it looked like FL was getting COVID cases under control, and since at this point they seem to only be holding the rate steady, they have decided it's better to wait than reopen and then close again. I guess we'll find out this week.

We moved our March vacation to (now) the beginning of August. Just yesterday I changed my mind about part of the trip and was able to get a Garden Grill reservation for 6PM and a touringplans watch came through with a 6:30PM Beaches and Cream reservation. That makes me think quite a few people are canceling their reservations for August.

Bruce

It was mentioned somewhere that Universal was facing a choice for employees as they continued to pay them 80% until June 1st. So, they were either going to need to open, or furlough.

I wonder if the plan Disney presents this week...assuming they still do..pushes things so they open sooner rather than later. Technically, they could present to open June 14th, which is when they still have hours posted, and have not yet canceled all of the cash reservations starting then,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter