DAH events with younger kids

JakeAZ

DIS Veteran
I know everyone has an idea of what their kids can and can't handle.

I'm considering a DAH on our first full day in the MK. My kids will be 7 and 4, so under normal circumstances, they (well the 4 year old for sure!) couldn't handle going until 1am (the DAH we are considering is 10pm - 1am).

I know the kids will be excited, so that will probably contribute to them being able to handle a later night.

We will also be traveling from AZ, so they may not be fully adjusted to EST that first full day.

Edited: My (new haha) plan is to sleep in / go to a park late AM and then back to the resort to rest / grab dinner. Then head back into the park around 7pm.

What have your experiences been? Were you surprised they handled it or was it a hot mess!?

Thanks!

Last edited:
We took our 4 kids, the youngest of which were 4 and 2, to an an after hours event at the Magic Kingdom in late June. We were in Orlando on vacation but this was our only DISNEY opportunity during this particular trip. Everything worked out great. We made sure our 2 year old had a good nap that afternoon so he would be able to handle the late night.

We were in the park at 6:45, used our three fast passes and utilized rider swap on height restricted rides. Between the 6 of us we rode every available ride in the park, some multiple times and were in our car heading out of the parking lot at 1:45AM. We did not watch any of the Villains shows at the castle.

Not dealing with the heat, short(if any) lines and having all you care to consume drinks, popcorn and frozen treats included in the price made for a good experience for us.

We took our 4 kids, the youngest of which were 4 and 2, to an an after hours event at the Magic Kingdom in late June. We were in Orlando on vacation but this was our only DISNEY opportunity during this particular trip. Everything worked out great. We made sure our 2 year old had a good nap that afternoon so he would be able to handle the late night.

We were in the park at 6:45, used our three fast passes and utilized rider swap on height restricted rides. Between the 6 of us we rode every available ride in the park, some multiple times and were in our car heading out of the parking lot at 1:45AM. We did not watch any of the Villains shows at the castle.

Not dealing with the heat, short(if any) lines and having all you care to consume drinks, popcorn and frozen treats included in the price made for a good experience for us.
Thanks! I was hoping to hear something like that. I know all kids are different, but your experience gives me hope it's possible!

I know it makes for a late night, but to just be able to go at your own pace and not have to worry about fast pass scheduling sounds wonderful!

We are a family of night owls and being from the West Coast it made it easier on some late nights, but we didn't stay after midnight but we often closed down the parks. We never rope dropped, we took it slow in the AM and got to the parks around 10AM.

On our 2018 DAH trip with just my wife and I we saw a few young ones that were at meltdown stages, beyond just tired and could tell it was way past time for them to be in bed. Sadly, the parents attitude was we "paid for it" they were going to keep going. We also saw some that were totally go-go-go, well rested and adjusted.

Only know your kids and what works best. Beyond a mellow day you need to plan on a mellow day the following day, maybe a late start and an early night back to the resort.

We are a family of night owls and being from the West Coast it made it easier on some late nights, but we didn't stay after midnight but we often closed down the parks. We never rope dropped, we took it slow in the AM and got to the parks around 10AM.

On our 2018 DAH trip with just my wife and I we saw a few young ones that were at meltdown stages, beyond just tired and could tell it was way past time for them to be in bed. Sadly, the parents attitude was we "paid for it" they were going to keep going. We also saw some that were totally go-go-go, well rested and adjusted.

Only know your kids and what works best. Beyond a mellow day you need to plan on a mellow day the following day, maybe a late start and an early night back to the resort.
Ya, I could see both sides for sure!

Fortunately, we will be at BLT, so if the younger one can't make it, my wife and him can be back at the room pretty quickly.

Not DAH, but a Halloween party, but with a 4 and 7 year old. Since it started earlier than DAH we still got some value out of it, but the 4 year old only made it until 11 and that was with a nap in the afternoon. She also missed some of the fireworks because she was asleep in her stroller prior to 11 (they were shot off late due to weather). They got to meet Moana so it was worth it but after that I wouldn’t spend the money on a 10pm to 1am ticket for that age. The 7 year old made it until 1 am no problem (again the timing was pushed back due to weather).

I also had an experience last year at a Christmas party where a parent was shaking his approximately 4 year old trying desperately to wake him up for the first parade saying he spend all this money on the ticket. The kid would open his eyes for a few seconds and fell right back to sleep. As long as you won’t feel like you wasted your money if your wife and 4 year old have to leave at 11 then go for it. I personally wouldn’t risk it with how expensive it is, but that’s a personal preference.

Why is it always the wife that has to go back to the room with the kids ? Ha ha
I remember being at an oceanfront hotel watching my now ex- husband frolic with the big kids in the ocean while I was in the room with a fussy toddler . I’m sure I said go ahead but the resentment was there.

Ya, I could see both sides for sure!

Fortunately, we will be at BLT, so if the younger one can't make it, my wife and him can be back at the room pretty quickly.

I just got back from a trip and was hoping my twin 6 year olds would make it for a 9-11 evening EMH in magic kingdom. I had grand plans of what we could accomplish that night but it just didn’t happen. We went to Epcot from 9-12 that morning, then had a long break at the hotel. We had dinner in the castle and by 8:30 they were asking to go back to the room. I convinced them to stay for the fireworks but by that point they were tired and had enough. I also didn’t have a stroller, but I think if I did it would’ve made a difference. I’m hoping to go back in 2 years when they are 8, and I don’t think I will plan any evening EMH. If we do one great, but I’m not going to plan it into our ride schedules.

Why is it always the wife that has to go back to the room with the kids ? Ha ha
I remember being at an oceanfront hotel watching my now ex- husband frolic with the big kids in the ocean while I was in the room with a fussy toddler . I’m sure I said go ahead but the resentment was there.
I could see that! I can't speak for all families, but in ours, my wife is not the amusement park person. She's not a fan of big crowds or staying out late or standing in long lines haha. While I am not a fan of those things either, I'm willing to make the trade for the experience. I actually think she's secretly hoping the little one doesn't make it, so she can call it a night earlier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter